Pepperdine Cheer Frequently Asked Questions
What other prospective cheerleaders have asked in the past!
- What is required of our members?
- What is the time commitment involved with Pepperdine Cheerleading?
- How many cheerleaders make up the team?
- What skills are required to be a Pepperdine cheerleader?
- Do you offer cheerleading scholarships?
- Does Pepperdine participate in cheerleading competitions?
- Is there anything else I should know about Pepperdine Cheerleading?
1. What is required of our members?
Pepperdine Cheerleaders are required to attend all scheduled practices, workout sessions, promotional appearances, fundraising opportunities, and perform at all home Men's and Women's Basketball home games. In addition, they appear at other University events, such as New Student Orientation, and perform community service.
2. What is the time commitment involved with Pepperdine Cheerleading?
On average, cheerleaders spend 8-10 hours per week performing at games, working out, or practicing. Typically, cheer practices will occur during evening hours. During fall semester, the squad practices two to three times a week with each session lasting two to three hours. During the WCC Basketball season in January and February, the team will practice once or twice per week. On non-practice days, members follow a prescribed work out schedule.
3. How many cheerleaders make up the team?
There are a maximum 16 members of the Pepperdine Cheer Squad. However, only 12 squad members are designated to travel for post-season play, such as the WCC Basketball Championship Tournament in Las Vegas. In the event of an injury or unavoidable absence, any of the four members originally not designated to travel may fill-in needed positions at the coach's discretion.
4. What skills are required to be a Pepperdine cheerleader?
Pepperdine cheerleaders must have the mastery or potential to master collegiate-level skills. Visit the Try-Out Page for more specific regarding what skills will be assessed in order to make the squad.
6. Does Pepperdine participate in cheerleading competitions?
The primary focus of Pepperdine Cheer is to support Athletics through crowd involvement, performances, and serving the Pepperdine community. With proper fundraising efforts, Pepperdine may choose to compete in cheerleading competitions.
7. Is there anything else I should know about Pepperdine Cheerleading?
In lieu of recent college cheerleading safety restrictions, skills requiring the use of mats on the basketball court are not permissible for Pepperdine Cheerleaders (i.e. basket tosses, or two-and-a-half high pyramids). Hence, crowd leading, partner stunting, dance, and gymnastics skills are heavily emphasized.
Please refer to section G: Specific Basketball/Indoor Court Rules of the 2010-11 AACCA College Cheerleading Safety Rules.
If you have any further questions,
Contact Cheer Advisor Kevin Borzenski