Waves Open 2013 Season vs. Western Michigan and No. 22 Cal State Fullerton
Pepperdine Won the 2012 West Coast Conference Championship
Feb. 13, 2013
THIS WEEK FOR THE WAVES: Pepperdine opens defense of its West Coast Conference Championship when it welcomes Western Michigan to Malibu for a four-game series beginning Friday, February 15 at 2:00 p.m. The Waves and Broncos will play a doubleheader Saturday with game one starting at 10:00 a.m. and conclude the opening weekend with a 1:00 p.m. contest on Sunday. The Waves then host perennial Southern California power Cal State Fullerton Tuesday, February 19 at 2:00 p.m.
COVERAGE: Fans unable to make it to Eddy D. Field Stadium can check out the games streamed live online via WaveCasts. Links for WaveCasts and live stats will be available at the official cyberspace home for Pepperdine Athletics, PepperdineSports.com. Due to a scheduling conflict, game two of Saturday’s doubleheader vs. Western Michigan will not be broadcast.
WAVES VS. BRONCOS
- The Broncos and Waves square off for the first time.
- Western Michigan was picked fourth in the Mid-American Conference West Division.
- Pepperdine owns a 8-1 record against Michigan schools, including a 4-1 record in NCAA Postseason games. The Waves are 5-1 vs. Michigan (1-1 NCAA Regionals); 2-0 vs. Central Michigan (2-0 NCAA Regionals) and 1-0 vs. Michigan State (1-0 NCAA Regionals).
- The Waves downed Michigan 15-0 en route to the program’s first CWS trip in 1979.
- Pepperdine dispatched Michigan State 8-7 in the 2012 Stanford Regional at Sunken Diamond.
All-Time: First Meeting
Last Five: First Meeting
Last 10: First Meeting
Pepperdine’s last win: First Meeting
Western Michigan’s last win: First Meeting
Friday - Pregame Student Tailgate: First 300 students will get free barbecue hamburgers/hotdogs
WAVES VS. TITANS
- Tuesday is the first of three 2013 meetings vs. Cal State Fullerton - all at Eddy D. Field Stadium.
- Titans ranked No. 22 by both Baseball America and the USA Today Coaches Poll.
- Titans picked to win the Big West after advancing to the 2012 NCAA Eugene Regional.
All-Time: CSU Fullerton leads 65-47
Last Five: CSU Fullerton leads 4-1
Last 10: CSU Fullerton leads 7-3
Pepperdine’s last win: 7-0 (2011)
CSU Fullerton’s last win: 8-6 (2012)
- Fri.: RHP Scott Frazier (7-5, 3.93 in 2012) vs. LHP Steve Laudicina (7-4, 3.51)
- Sat. G-1: RHP Corey Miller (8-3, 3.38) vs. LHP Mike Moyer (0-3, 7.07)
- Sat. G-2: RHP Jackson McClelland (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. TBA
- Sun.: LHP Aaron Brown (2-1, 4.64) vs. RHP Will Nimke (4-4, 3.71)
- Tues.: TBD vs. TBD
A LOOK AT THE WAVES
- Waves enter the preseason ranked No. 40 in the Collegiate Baseball poll and are in the receiving votes category in the USA Today and NCBWA polls.
- Waves picked second in the 2013 West Coast Conference Preseason Coaches Poll.
- Pepperdine picked fifth in 2012 preseason poll and won the WCC title for the first time since 2008.
- Waves return 2/3 of its 2012 weekend rotation along with their midweek starter.
- Pepperdine welcomes 21 letterwinners and five returning position starters to the squad
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE WAVES
- Pepperdine seized a 3-1 victory against the Alumni in the 2013 John Scolinos Alumni Game Saturday, Feb. 9 at Eddy D. Field Stadium.
- Fr. LHP Jackson McClelland tossed 6.0 innings with three strikeouts
- 2012 WCC Player of the Year Joe Sever homered to left for the lone alumni run
- So. UT Aaron Brown and Fr. IF Hutton Moyer each recorded RBI doubles in the three-run fourth.
- Pepperdine posted a 20-15 record vs. non-conference opponents in 2012 while playing another demanding slate.
- The Waves won regular season non-conference series against No. 14 Oklahoma (2-1), Virginia Commonwealth (2-0), Fresno State (2-1), Rhode Island (3-0) and Kent State (2-1)
- Pepperdine posted a 3-2 win at No. 14 Louisville.
- The Waves play 27 non-conference games this season with 17 coming at home.
- Pepperdine posted two victories in the 2012 NCAA Stanford Regional, downing Michigan State (6-2) and Fresno State (8-5).
- So. UT Aaron Brown earned preseason All-American honors from Baseball America (3rd) as selected by Major League scouting directors.
- So. IF Austin Davidson was selected to the All-West Coast Conference Preseason team. Davidson was a member of the 2012 WCC All-Freshman squad.
- Pepperdine owns a 7-2 record in season openers under head coach Steve Rodriguez. The Waves beat UC Irvine 8-7 in 2004 for his first career victory.
- The Waves dropped a 4-3 decision to No. 14 Oklahoma last year in the 2012 lid-lifter, but roared back to take the series 2-1 after downing the Sooners 10-0 and 7-6 in the finale.
- Since 2004, Pepperdine owns a 6-3 record in its first three-game series of the year and have won five straight.
- The 2013 series opener against Western Michigan is the first four-game series to kick of the year under Rodriguez.
WAVES AT THE 2012 NCAA REGIONAL
- Pepperdine competed in its first NCAA Regional since 2008 when it traveled to Palo Alto for the Stanford Regional at Sunken Diamond.
- The Waves opened with a decisive 6-2 win vs. Michigan State and took a 8-5 victory in game three vs. Fresno State behind a grand slam home run from Matt Forgatch.
- Pepperdine lost game two to host No. 13 Stanford 5-4 and were eliminated by the Cardinal 8-7.
UP NEXT FOR PEPPERDINE
- The Waves open a tough seven-game road swing, beginning Friday, Feb. 22 in College Station vs. Texas A&M.
- Pepperdine plays three against the Aggies and then takes on Baylor Tuesday, Feb. 26 in Waco.