Waves Host Santa Clara in WCC Series
Pepperdine Takes on No. 20 Cal Poly Tuesday in San Luis Obispo
March 22, 2013
THIS WEEK FOR THE WAVES: Pepperdine wraps up its six-game West Coast Conference homestand when it welcomes Santa Clara to Malibu, beginning with a Saturday doubleheader on March 23. Game one against the Broncos is set for a 11:00 a.m. first pitch with game two to follow approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of the opener. Sunday’s series finale is set for a 1:00 p.m. start at Eddy D. Field Stadium.
COVERAGE: All games in the WCC series vs. Santa Clara will feature a live video broadcast via WaveCasts. Links to the broadcasts and GameTracker will be available on PepperdineSports,com.
A LOOK AT THE WAVES
- After dropping four consecutive games, the Waves have won three of their last four.
- With its series win against Loyola Marymount, Pepperdine improves to 5-4-1 in league-opening weekends under head coach Steve Rodriguez
- Pepperdine opened the season at 4-0 for the first time since 2001 after sweeping Western Michigan.
- Waves entered the preseason ranked No. 40 in the Collegiate Baseball poll and were in the receiving votes category in the USA Today and NCBWA polls.
- Waves picked second in the 2013 West Coast Conference Preseason Coaches Poll.
- Pepperdine picked fifth in 2012 preseason poll and won the WCC title for the first time since 2008.
- Waves return 2/3 of its 2012 weekend rotation along with their midweek starter.
- Pepperdine welcomes 21 letterwinners and five returning position starters to the squad
WAVES VS. BRONCOS
- The Waves wrap up their six-game homestand when it welcomes Santa Clara to Malibu. It will be the league opener for the Broncos.
- Pepperdine owns a 21-12 record against Santa Clara under head coach Steve Rodriguez and have won eight of the last 11 series against the Broncos since 2004.
- Santa Clara won back-to-back series with 2-1 wins in 2010-11.
- Pepperdine won the 2012 series 2-1 at Steven Schott Stadium, winning two straight (6-5, 9-6) after dropping the opener (6-2).
- Santa Clara suffered a home sweep to 2012 NCAA Regional participant Michigan State last weekend as the Spartans outscored them 22-7.
- Santa Clara opponents hitting .298 against Bronco pitching.
- After 19 games, the Broncos have played just two road games this season, but are just 6-11 on their home field.
All-Time: PEP leads 90-57-1.
Last Five: PEP 3-2.
Last 10: Tied 5-5.
Pepperdine’s last win: 9-6 (2012).
SCU’s last win: 6-2 (2012).
A LOOK AT THE MUSTANGS
- No. 20 Cal Poly enters its non-conference weekend series against UC Santa Barbara with an impressive 15-4 record.
- Cal Poly’s pitching staff owns an 2.70 ERA with a 172/52 strikeout/walk ratio.
- The Mustangs have recorded 55 extra- base hits, including 14 home runs and opponents have just 31 extra-base hits.
All-Time: PEP leads 22-11.
Last Five: Cal Poly 3-2.
Last 10: PEP 6-4.
Pepperdine’s last win: 7-4 (2011).
Cal Poly’s last win: 2-1 (10) (2012).
LAST TIME OUT
- Pepperdine seized a thrilling 4-3 victory against Loyola Marymount on a two-out RBI walk-off single by Drew Hacker in the ninth.
- Kolten Yamaguchi hit a two-out solo home run - his third of the week/career to tie the contest at 3-3 in the ninth.
- Eric Karch collected his team-leading fourth win of the season in relief and struck out two in 3.0 scoreless innings.
LOYOLA MARYMOUNT SERIES RECAP
- Pepperdine won its seventh straight series against its rival.
- The series victory marks fifth time in the last six that the Waves have dropped the opening game to LMU before winning the final two contests..
- Chris Amezquita and Sam Meyer each batted .333 against the Lions. Amezquita smacked three doubles and Meyer clubbed his third home run.
- RHP Corey Miller collected his third win of the year Saturday, posting his first collegiate complete game. Miller struck out seven Lions.
- The Waves rank third in the WCC in team ERA (3.29), and rate second in walks (59).
- Pepperdine’s weekend starting rotation enters the series vs. Santa Clara with a staff ERA of 4.05, allowing 36 earned runs off 72 hits in 80 innings and owns a strikeout/walk ratio of 59/29 and has allowed just 10 extra-base hits in 2013.
- Jr. LHP Corey Miller collected his 10th career win at Oklahoma (3/2) and leads the starters in wins (3), ERA (2.43) and is second in Ks (24).
- Jr. RHP Scott Frazier posted his 10th career win at Texas A&M (2/22)
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Pepperdine’s bullpen has been outstanding this season with a 5-1 record and a combined ERA of 2.16. Waves relievers have a 48/21 strikeout/walk ratio and have allowed just four extra-base hits this season.
- Jr. RHP Eric Karch collected a pair of victories in relief at Texas A&M and now has 10 career wins for the Waves.
- Karch leads Pepperdine in wins (3), appearances (10) and leads all relievers in strikeouts (11)
- Jr. RHP Michael Swanner collected his 10th career save at Texas A&M (2/24) and had two in the series vs. the Aggies.
- Swanner leads Pepperdine in saves (2).
- Waves lead the WCC in doubles (40) and are second in homers (9).
- Sr. 1B Sam Meyer leads the team in RBI (15) and has three home runs and four doubles for Pepperdine.
- After receiving just five at-bats in limited action during his first two seasons with the Waves, Jr. OF Ranny Lowe is capitalizing on his opportunity, batting .286 with two doubles, eight RBI and nine runs.
- Jr. OF Chris Amezquita has 18 hits in 2013, with nine doubles, two homers and eight RBI.
- So. OF Bryan Langlois has 18 hits, nine of them doubles.
- Pepperdine ranks fifth in the WCC in fielding percentage (.970). The Waves are third in the league in double plays (17).
- The Waves are starting a pair of true freshman up the middle this season: Fr. 2B Hutton Moyer/Fr. 2B Chris Fornaci and Fr. SS Cody Nulph. The duo has tuned 17 double plays.
- Moyer is the son of veteran MLB pitcher Jamie Moyer.
YAMAGUCHI GOES YARD... AGAIN
- So. C Kolten Yamaguchi collected his first two hits in emphatic fashion, hitting two home runs in consecutive at-bats at USC (3/12/13).
- Yamaguchi hit the tying home run in Pepperdine’s 4-3 comeback win vs. LMU (3/17/13) with two outs in the ninth.
- It is the first multi-homer game for the Waves this season
Sam Meyer - WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Waves 1B captured first career WCC weekly honor, batting .467 (7-15) with three doubles, home run and eight RBI vs. Western Michigan.
- Meyer is batting .265 with four doubles, three home runs and a team-high 15 RBI this season.
WAVES AT THE 2012 NCAA REGIONAL
- Pepperdine competed in its first NCAA Regional since 2008 when it traveled to Palo Alto for the Stanford Regional at Sunken Diamond.
- The Waves opened with a 6-2 win vs. Michigan State and took a 8-5 victory in game three vs. Fresno State behind Matt Forgatch’s grand slam.
2013 WEST COAST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP
The West Coast Conference will resume its Baseball Championship this season with a brand new format. Four teams will compete in the 2013 WCC Championships at Banner Island Ballpark May 23-25 in Stockton. It is the first neutral site for the conference championship and will be hosted by the Stockton Ports in cooperation with the Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau. Banner Island Ballpark will host the top four teams from the WCC in the Championship, with a practice day taking place on May 22, and competition from the 23-25.
UP NEXT FOR PEPPERDINE
- Pepperdine travels up the coast to take on No. 20 Cal Poly Tuesday, March 26 at Baggett Stadium.
- The Waves dropped a tough 2-1 decision in 10 innings to the Mustangs last season.