Waves Travel to No. 23 Cal Poly and Brigham Young This Week
League-Leading Waves Open Five-Game Road Trip Tuesday vs. Mustangs
March 25, 2013
GAME NOTES | BASEBALL ALMANAC | VIDEO PREVIEW
THIS WEEK FOR THE WAVES: Pepperdine opens a five-game road trip when it travels to San Luis Obispo Tuesday, March 26 for a battle against No. 23 Cal Poly. The Waves then travel to Provo, Utah for a West Coast Conference series against Brigham Young, starting Thursday, March 28 at Larry H. Miller Field.
COVERAGE: Pepperdine’s games at Cal Poly and at Brigham Young will feature live video broadcasts. Friday’s game at BYU will be televised nationally on BYUtv and on BYUtv.com. Links to the broadcasts and GameTracker will be available on PepperdineSports,com.
A LOOK AT THE WAVES
- After sweeping Santa Clara, Pepperdine has now won nine consecutive West Coast Conference series. The last league series loss suffered by the Waves was to Gonzaga (2-1) to open the 2012 WCC campaign.
- The Waves have won six of their last seven games after dropping four consecutive.
- With its series win against Loyola Marymount, Pepperdine improved to 5-4-1 in league-opening weekends under head coach Steve Rodriguez.
- Pepperdine opened the season at 4-0 for the first time since 2001 after sweeping Western Michigan.
- Waves entered the preseason ranked No. 40 in the Collegiate Baseball poll and were in the receiving votes category in the USA Today and NCBWA polls.
- Waves picked second in the 2013 West Coast Conference Preseason Coaches Poll.
- Pepperdine picked fifth in 2012 preseason poll and won the WCC title for the first time since 2008.
- Waves return 2/3 of its 2012 weekend rotation along with their midweek starter.
- Pepperdine welcomes 21 letterwinners and five returning position starters to the squad
A LOOK AT THE MUSTANGS
- No. 23 Cal Poly enters the week with an impressive 15-4 record after taking two of three vs. UC Santa Barbara.
- Cal Poly’s pitching staff owns an 2.85 ERA with a 207/68 strikeout/walk ratio.
- The Mustangs have recorded 67 extra- base hits, including 17 home runs and opponents have just 36 extra-base hits.
All-Time: PEP leads 22-11.
Last Five: Cal Poly 3-2.
Last 10: PEP 6-4.
Pepperdine’s last win: 7-4 (2011).
Cal Poly’s last win: 2-1 (10) (2012).
WAVES VS. COUGARS
- The Waves continues their five game road trip when it travels to Provo, Utah for its inaugural West Coast Conference road trip at Brigham Young.
- Pepperdine owns a 4-3 record against Brigham Young under head coach Steve Rodriguez and swept the Cougars in their West Coast Conference debut season last year at Eddy D. Field Stadium.
- BYU took a 2-1 non-conference series win in Malibu in the 2011 campaign.
- Pepperdine won the first two meetings against BYU in 1954, winning 11-2 and 8-1.
- The Waves and Cougars met seven times in the 1950s with Pepperdine holding a 5-2 record.
- Brigham Young snapped a five-game losing streak when it took two out of three against Kansas.
All-Time: PEP leads 17-9.
Last Five: PEP 4-1.
Last 10: PEP 7-3.
Pepperdine’s last win: 8-7 (2012).
BYU’s last win: 8-3 (2011).
LAST TIME OUT
- Pepperdine pounded Santa Clara 19-4 to complete the series sweep Sunday.
- Kolten Yamaguchi went 4-for-4 and the Waves collected a season-high 21 hits, including 10 for extra-bases.
- Austin Davidson and Chris Amezquita both homered in the finale.
SANTA CLARA SERIES RECAP
- For the series, Pepperdine hit .369 as a team with 18 doubles, three home runs and the Waves out-hit the Broncos 41-26.
- Pepperdine pitching limited Santa Clara to just four extra-base hits in the series.
- The Waves have taken nine of the last 12 series against Santa Clara and head coach Steve Rodriguez improves to 24-12 all-time against the Broncos.
- Austin Davidson led the Waves, hitting .714 (10-14) with five doubles, a homer and three RBI.
- RHP Michael Swanner recorded two saves against the Broncos.
- The Waves rank fourth in the WCC in team ERA (3.30), and rate third in walks (72). Pepperdine has allowed a league-low 26 extra-base hits.
- Pepperdine’s weekend starting rotation enters the week at Cal Poly and at Brigham Young with a staff ERA of 4.55, allowing 50 earned runs off 91 hits in 99 innings and owns a strikeout/walk ratio of 80/39 and has allowed just 14 extra-base hits in 2013.
- Jr. LHP Corey Miller collected his 10th career win at Oklahoma (3/2) and leads the starters in wins (4), ERA (2.97) and is second in Ks (33).
- Miller struck out a team and career-high nine batters vs. Santa Clara
- Jr. RHP Scott Frazier posted his 10th career win at Texas A&M (2/22)
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Pepperdine’s bullpen has been outstanding this season with a 5-1 record and a combined ERA of 2.04. Waves relievers have a 54/24 strikeout/walk ratio and have allowed just four extra-base hits this season.
- Jr. RHP Eric Karch collected a pair of victories in relief at Texas A&M and now has 10 career wins for the Waves.
- Karch leads Pepperdine in wins (4), appearances (12) and leads all relievers in strikeouts (14)
- Jr. RHP Michael Swanner collected his 10th career save at Texas A&M (2/24) and had two in the series vs. the Aggies.
- Swanner leads Waves in saves (4) and recorded two vs. Santa Clara.
- Waves lead the WCC in doubles (58) and are second in homers (12).
- Sr. 1B Sam Meyer leads the team in RBI (16) and has three home runs and seven doubles for Pepperdine.
- After receiving just five at-bats in limited action during his first two seasons with the Waves, Jr. OF Ranny Lowe is capitalizing on his opportunity, batting .307 with three doubles, 12 RBI and 13 runs.
- Jr. OF Chris Amezquita has 22 hits in 2013, with 11 doubles, a team-high four homers and 13 RBI.
- So. OF Bryan Langlois has 23 hits, 11 of them doubles.
- Pepperdine ranks third in the WCC in fielding percentage (.972). The Waves are third in the league in double plays (20).
- The Waves are starting a pair of true freshman up the middle this season: Fr. 2B Hutton Moyer/Fr. 2B Chris Fornaci and Fr. SS Cody Nulph. The duo has tuned 17 double plays.
- Moyer is the son of veteran MLB pitcher Jamie Moyer.
YAMAGUCHI GOES YARD... AGAIN
- So. C Kolten Yamaguchi collected his first two hits in emphatic fashion, hitting two home runs in consecutive at-bats at USC (3/12/13).
- Yamaguchi hit the tying home run in Pepperdine’s 4-3 comeback win vs. LMU (3/17/13) with two outs in the ninth.
- It is the first multi-homer game for the Waves this season
Austin Davidson - WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Waves 3B captured first career WCC weekly honor, batting .714 (10-14) with five doubles, home run and three RBI vs. Santa Clara.
- Davidson collected hits in six consecutive at-bats and elevated his average .071 points and is now hitting .341 on the season.
WAVES AT THE 2012 NCAA REGIONAL
- Pepperdine competed in its first NCAA Regional since 2008 when it traveled to Palo Alto for the Stanford Regional at Sunken Diamond.
- The Waves opened with a 6-2 win vs. Michigan State and took a 8-5 victory in game three vs. Fresno State behind Matt Forgatch’s grand slam.
2013 WEST COAST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP
The West Coast Conference will resume its Baseball Championship this season with a brand new format. Four teams will compete in the 2013 WCC Championships at Banner Island Ballpark May 23-25 in Stockton. It is the first neutral site for the conference championship and will be hosted by the Stockton Ports in cooperation with the Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau. Banner Island Ballpark will host the top four teams from the WCC in the Championship, with a practice day taking place on May 22, and competition from the 23-25.
UP NEXT FOR PEPPERDINE
Pepperdine travels to the Central Coast to take on UC Santa Barbara Tuesday, April 2.