Waves Travel to San Diego for Important WCC Series
Pepperdine Hosts Cal State Fullerton Tuesday
April 11, 2013
THIS WEEK FOR THE WAVES: Pepperdine travels to San Diego to take on the Toreros in a rematch of last year’s de facto West Coast Conference Championship. The Waves are coming off a series win against Washington, while San Diego dropped two of three at LMU last weekend. Pepperdine welcomes No. 3 Cal State Fullerton for a midweek game to kick off a six-game homestand.
COVERAGE: Pepperdine’s games at San Diego Saturday and Sunday will feature live audio broadcasts via WaveCasts and Tuesday’s home game against Cal State Fullerton will feature a live video broadcast via WaveCasts. Links to the broadcasts and GameTracker will be available on PepperdineSports,com.
A LOOK AT THE WAVES
- Pepperdine won its third non-conference series of the year vs. Washington (2-1).
- Through 31 games the Waves have clubbed 20 home runs. In 2012, Pepperdine tallied 24 total.
- Pepperdine’s streak of nine consecutive West Coast Conference series wins was snapped at BYU (1-2). The last previous league series loss suffered by the Waves was to Gonzaga (2-1) to open the 2012 WCC campaign.
- The Waves have won six of their last 10 games.
- With its series win against Loyola Marymount, Pepperdine improved to 5-4-1 in league-opening weekends under head coach Steve Rodriguez.
- Pepperdine opened the season at 4-0 for the first time since 2001 after sweeping Western Michigan.
- Waves picked second in the 2013 West Coast Conference Preseason Coaches Poll.
- Pepperdine picked fifth in 2012 preseason poll and won its first WCC title since 2008.
- Wave return 2/3 of its 2012 weekend rotation along with their midweek starter.
WAVES VS. TOREROS
- Pepperdine travels south to take on San Diego in a crucial West Coast Conference series.
- San Diego hits .287 as a team with 27 home runs in 32 games and the pitching staff owns a 3.52 ERA.
- Pepperdine defeated USD last season two games to one in the de facto championship series.
- It was the first series win against the Toreros for Pepperdine since the 2006 campaign.
- The Waves and Toreros have captured eight of the last 10 WCC Championships.
- San Diego has won two of its last five games and is 5-5 in its last 10 contests. Last week the Toreros lost a WCC road series at LMU 2-1.
- This series will feature the 189th-191st all-time meetings between the two programs in a series dating to the 1954 season.
- Pepperdine won the inaugural meeting in a 5-2 triumph.
All-Time: PEP leads 118-70.
Last Five: PEP leads 3-2
Last 10: USD leads 6-4
Pepperdine’s last win: 5-1 (2012).
USD’s last win: 10-5 (2012).
WAVES VS. TITANS
- Tuesday is the second of two 2013 meetings vs. Cal State Fullerton in Malibu.
- Titans ranked in the top-five in every national poll.
- Titans have constructed two 10-game winning streaks and an eight-gamer.
- As a team, CSUF owns a .287 batting average and a 2.54 ERA.
All-Time: CSU Fullerton leads 66-47
Last Five: CSU Fullerton leads 4-1
Last 10: CSU Fullerton leads 8-2
Pepperdine’s last win: 7-0 (2011)
CSU Fullerton’s last win: 6-3 (2/20/13)
- The Waves rank fifth in the WCC in team ERA (3.57), and in walks (86). Pepperdine has allowed a league-low 41 extra-base hits.
- Pepperdine’s weekend starting rotation enters the week at San Diego with a staff ERA of 3.94, allowing 63 earned runs off 136 hits in 144.0 innings and owns a strikeout/walk ratio of 118/50 and has allowed just 18 extra-base hits in 2013.
- Jr. RHP Scott Frazier posted his 10th career win at Texas A&M (2/22)
- Jr. RHP Corey Miller enjoyed a career day vs. Washington (4/6) tossing 10 scoreless innings with a career-high 10 Ks.
- So. LHP Aaron Brown turned in his first quality start of the year vs. Washington (4/7) and did not allow an earned run in 6.1 innings.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Pepperdine’s bullpen has been outstanding this season with a 7-3 record and a combined ERA of 2.75. Waves relievers have a 72/34 strikeout/walk ratio and have allowed just 11 extra-base hits this season.
- Jr. RHP Eric Karch collected a pair of victories in relief at Texas A&M and now has 10 career wins for the Waves.
- Karch leads Pepperdine in wins (5), appearances (18) and leads all relievers in strikeouts (21)
- Jr. RHP Michael Swanner collected his 10th career save at Texas A&M (2/24) and had two in the series vs. the Aggies.
- Swanner leads Waves in saves (8) and recorded two vs. Santa Clara.
- Waves lead the WCC in doubles (71) and are second in homers (20).
- Sr. 1B Sam Meyer leads the team in RBI (25) and has four home runs and 10 doubles for Pepperdine.
- After receiving just five at-bats in limited action during his first two seasons with the Waves, Jr. OF Ranny Lowe is capitalizing on his opportunity, batting .311 with three doubles, 18 RBI and 14 runs.
- Jr. OF Chris Amezquita has 27 hits in 2013, with 11 doubles, a team-high five homers and 18 RBI.
- So. OF Bryan Langlois has 33 hits, 13 doubles, triple and two homers
- Pepperdine ranks second in the WCC in fielding percentage (.971). The Waves are second in the league in double plays (29).
- The Waves are starting a pair of true freshman up the middle this season: Fr. 2B Hutton Moyer/Fr. 2B Chris Fornaci and Fr. SS Cody Nulph. The duo has tuned 17 double plays.
- Moyer is the son of veteran MLB pitcher Jamie Moyer.
YAMAGUCHI GOES YARD... AGAIN
- So. C Kolten Yamaguchi collected his first two hits in emphatic fashion, hitting two home runs in consecutive at-bats at USC (3/12/13).
- Yamaguchi hit the tying home run in Pepperdine’s 4-3 comeback win vs. LMU (3/17/13) with two outs in the ninth.
- The Hawaiian leads the team in batting (.379)
Corey Miller - WCC PITCHER OF THE WEEK
- Waves RHP captured first career WCC weekly honor, tossing 10 scoreless innings, allowing just three hits with a career-high 10 Ks.
- Miller retired the first 12 Huskies he faced and threw 118 pitches.
Austin Davidson - WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Waves 3B captured first career WCC weekly honor, batting .714 (10-14) with five doubles, home run and three RBI vs. Santa Clara.
- Davidson hit .432 (16-37) with six doubles, two homers, 12 runs and seven RBI in March.
2013 WEST COAST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP
The West Coast Conference will resume its Baseball Championship this season with a brand new format. Four teams will compete in the 2013 WCC Championships at Banner Island Ballpark May 23-25 in Stockton. It is the first neutral site for the conference championship and will be hosted by the Stockton Ports in cooperation with the Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau. Banner Island Ballpark will host the top four teams from the WCC in the Championship, with a practice day taking place on May 22, and competition from the 23-25.
LAST TIME OUT
- Pepperdine dropped a tough 5-4 home decision to UC Santa Barbara on Tuesday.
- Waves loaded the bases in the ninth with one out, trailing 5-3, but could pull off the comeback.
- Kolten Yamaguchi went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI.
WASHINGTON SERIES RECAP
- For the series, Pepperdine hit .184 as a team with two doubles and two home runs. Pepperdine pitching limited the Huskies to .186 hitting with just one extra-base hit.
- Pepperdine’s staff posted an ERA of 1.24 and held UW scoreless for 18.0 straight innings.
- RHP Corey Miller tossed 10 scoreless innings Saturday and struck out a career-high 10.
- Drew Hacker led the Waves, hitting .444 (4-9.
- LHP Aaron Brown struck out three and hit a home run in his first quality start of the year on Sunday. It was Brown’s first hit of the year - a homer to deep right field.
UP NEXT FOR PEPPERDINE
- After battling the Toreros, Pepperdine opens a six-game homestand when it hosts No. 3 Cal State Fullerton Tuesday, April 16.
- The Waves host league-leading Gonzaga in a big WCC series April 19-21.