May 2, 2013
GAME NOTES | BASEBALL ALMANAC | SWANNER INTERVIEW
THIS WEEK FOR THE WAVES: Pepperdine travels to the Bay Area for a big West Coast Conference series at San Francisco, beginning Friday, May 3 at Benedetti Diamond. The Waves have won three straight and seek their second straight league series win against the Dons, who have won four of their last five contests.
COVERAGE: Pepperdine’s West Coast Conference series at San Francisco will feature free video (USF feed) and its mid-week games vs. Long Beach State will feature a live video broadcast via WaveCasts. Links to the broadcasts and GameTracker will be available on PepperdineSports.com.
WAVES AND DONS
- Pepperdine and San Francisco will square off for the 154th time in a series dating to the 1958 season.
- The Waves and Dons have split the last four WCC series with Pepperdine winning in 2012 (2-1) and 2010 (3-0) and USF taking decisions in 2011 (3-0) and 2009 (2-1).
- Pepperdine suffered a rare sweep the last time the two squads met at Benedetti Diamond - the previous coming in the 1971 campaign.
- Head coach Steve Rodriguez is 23-13 overall vs. USF with nine series wins, including the 2006 WCC Championship Series win at Benedetti Diamond.
- The Waves posted a 15-game winning streak from 1973-86.
- USF ranks third in the WCC in team ERA (3.85) and is seventh in batting average (.252).
- The Dons enter the series vs. Pepperdine 2.5 games back of league-leading Gonzaga. The Waves are 0.5 games behind USF.
All-Time: PEP leads 111-42.
Last Five: USF 3-2
Last 10: Tied 5-5
Pepperdine’s last win: 6-1 (5/6/12).
USF’s last win: 7-2 (5/4/12).
WAVES AND THE BEACH
- The Waves host the 49ers for the first of two games in eight days when they welcome the Beach to Malibu Tuesday, May 7.
- Pepperdine swept the season series last season vs. Long Beach State for the first time since 2006.
- The Beach hit .266 as a team and the pitching staff owns a 3.74 ERA.
All-Time: Long Beach St. leads 58-62-2.
Last Five: Long Beach State 3-2.
Last 10: Long Beach State 7-3.
Pepperdine’s last win: 5-3 (2012).
Long Beach State’s last win: 4-3 (2011).
A LOOK AT THE WAVES
- Through 15 league games, Pepperdine sits 3.5 games behind WCC-leading Gonzaga (15-6) and is 0.5 games back of San Francisco (11-7).
- The top four teams in the final regular season standings advance to the 2013 WCC Championships held May 23-25 in Stockton, Calif.
- Pepperdine completed a pair of season series sweeps (2-0) this week against USC and Cal Poly.
- After a 5-3 win vs. No. 24 Cal Poly (5/1) the Waves own a 6-7 record against top-25 opponents in 2013.
- The Waves have won 10 of their last 13 league sets dating to the start of last season.
- Through 40 games the Waves have clubbed 26 home runs. In 2012, Pepperdine tallied 24 total.
- Pepperdine’s streak of nine consecutive West Coast Conference series wins was snapped at BYU (1-2). The last previous league series loss suffered by the Waves was to Gonzaga (2-1) to open the 2012 WCC campaign.
- With its series win against Loyola Marymount, Pepperdine improved to 5-4-1 in league-opening weekends under head coach Steve Rodriguez.
- Pepperdine opened the year at 4-0 for the first time since 2001 after sweeping Western Michigan.
- Waves picked second in the 2013 West Coast Conference Preseason Coaches Poll.
- Pepperdine picked fifth in 2012 preseason poll and won its first WCC title since 2008.
- Waves return 2/3 of their 2012 weekend rotation along with their midweek starter.
- Jr. RHP Michael Swanner has been named to the NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch List. Swanner leads the WCC in saves (11) and owns a team-best 1.00 ERA with 19 strikeouts in 18 innings.
- So. UT Aaron Brown earned preseason All-American honors from Baseball America (3rd) as selected by Major League scouting directors.
- So. IF Austin Davidson was selected to the All-West Coast Conference Preseason team. Davidson was a member of the 2012 WCC All-Freshman squad.
- The Waves rank fourth in the WCC in team ERA (3.48), and third in walks (129). Pepperdine has allowed a league-low 53 extra-base hits.
- Pepperdine’s weekend starting rotation enters the week vs. USF with a staff ERA of 3.83, allowing 80 earned runs off 168 hits in 188.0 innings and owns a strikeout/walk ratio of 142/72 and has allowed just 27 extra-base hits in 2013.
- Jr. RHP Scott Frazier posted his 10th career win at Texas A&M (2/22)
- Jr. RHP Corey Miller enjoyed a career day vs. Washington (4/6) tossing 10 scoreless innings with a career-high 10 Ks.
- So. LHP Aaron Brown tossed his first complete game in a 10-4 victory vs. No. 24 Gonzaga (4/21/13) and struck out five for his fifth straight win.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Pepperdine’s bullpen has been outstanding this season with a 8-3 record and a combined ERA of 2.59. Waves relievers have a 87/44 strikeout/walk ratio and have allowed just 15 extra-base hits this season.
- Jr. RHP Eric Karch collected his 12th career win at No. 21 Cal Poly.
- Karch leads Pepperdine in wins (5), appearances (23) and leads all relievers in strikeouts (25)
- Jr. RHP Michael Swanner collected his WCC-leading 11th save of the season vs. No. 24 Cal Poly (5/1/13) and lowered his ERA to 1.00.
- Swanner ranks T-5 in single season saves at Pepperdine. The last Wave to record 11 in a season was Brett Hunter in 2006.
- Waves lead the WCC in doubles (84) and are second in homers (26).
- So. OF Bryan Langlois leads the WCC in doubles (15) and has four home runs, batting .305 on the season.
- After receiving just five at-bats in limited action during his first two seasons with the Waves, Jr. OF Ranny Lowe is capitalizing on his opportunity, batting .326 with five doubles, 24 RBI and 17 runs.
- Jr. OF Chris Amezquita has 36 hits in 2013, with 12 doubles, a team-high seven homers, 23 RBI and 30 runs.
- Sr. 1B Sam Meyer owns the team lead in RBI with 26.
- Seven Waves have recorded at least 30 hits in 2013.
- Pepperdine ranks second in the WCC in fielding percentage (.970).
- The Waves are third in the league in double plays (39).
- The Waves are starting a pair of true freshman up the middle this season: Fr. 2B Hutton Moyer/Fr. 2B Chris Fornaci and Fr. SS Cody Nulph. The duo has tuned 20 double plays.
- Moyer is the son of veteran MLB pitcher Jamie Moyer.
YAMAGUCHI GOES YARD... AGAIN
- So. C Kolten Yamaguchi collected his first two hits in emphatic fashion, hitting two home runs in consecutive at-bats at USC (3/12/13).
- Yamaguchi hit the tying home run in Pepperdine’s 4-3 comeback win vs. LMU (3/17/13) with two outs in the ninth.
Corey Miller - WCC PITCHER OF THE WEEK
- Waves RHP captured first career WCC weekly honor, tossing 10 scoreless innings, allowing just three hits with a career-high 10 Ks.
- Miller retired the first 12 Huskies he faced and threw 118 pitches.
Austin Davidson - WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Waves 3B captured first career WCC weekly honor, batting .714 (10-14) with five doubles, home run and three RBI vs. Santa Clara.
- Davidson hit .432 (16-37) with six doubles, two homers, 12 runs and seven RBI in March.
2013 WEST COAST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP
The West Coast Conference will resume its Baseball Championship this season with a brand new format. Four teams will compete in the 2013 WCC Championships at Banner Island Ballpark May 23-25 in Stockton. It is the first neutral site for the conference championship and will be hosted by the Stockton Ports in cooperation with the Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau. Banner Island Ballpark will host the top four teams from the WCC in the Championship, with a practice day taking place on May 22, and competition from the 23-25.
LAST TIME OUT
- Pepperdine completed its season series sweep with a 5-3 victory vs. No. 24 Cal Poly.
- DH Hutton Moyer hit his first collegiate home run on a 3-for-5 day.
- Michael Swanner recorded his WCC-leading 11th save of the year with a 1-2-3 ninth.
- LHP Matt Maurer struck out four in 5.0 innings.
WAVES AMONG NCAA TEAM LEADERS
- Waves enter the weekend ranked No. 41 in doubles (81) and No. 24 in doubles per game (1.98) (as of 4/28/13)
- Pepperdine is No. 25 in double plays (38)
UP NEXT FOR PEPPERDINE
- After battling San Francisco, Pepperdine returns home for a midweek game against area rival Long Beach State Tuesday, May 7.
- Waves welcome Saint Mary’s for the final home series of the year May 10-12.
The Last Meeting
May 6, 2012
The Last Meeting
|Long Beach State||3
May 15, 2012
Long Beach, Calif.
Waves Hold on to Top Long Beach State, 5-3
The Pepperdine baseball team pulled out to an early 3-0 lead in the top of the first and never looked back, defeating Long Beach State 5-3 at Blair Field on Tuesday evening.