Pepperdine Welcomes Saint Mary's in 2013 Home Finale
Waves Battle Gaels in Series With WCC Championship Implications
May 9, 2013
THIS WEEK FOR THE WAVES: Pepperdine plays its final three regular season games at Eddy D. Field Stadium when it welcomes Saint Mary’s for a crucial three-game West Coast Conference series starting Friday, May 10. First pitch of game one Friday is set for 3:00 p.m.
COVERAGE: Pepperdine’s West Coast Conference series vs. Saint Mary’s will feature a live video broadcast via WaveCasts. The Waves trip to Long Beach State will have a live audio broadcast. Links to the broadcasts and GameTracker will be available on PepperdineSports.com.
FINAL HOME SERIES EVENTS
- Saturday Pepperdine will host Military Appreciation day. All military servicemen/women and their families will receive free admission to the game.
- Sunday Pepperdine will honor all mothers in attendance on Mother’s Day. The first 50 moms will receive roses compliments of Pepperdine Athletics and Sunshine Flowers.
- Sunday Pepperdine Baseball will honor the accomplishments of its 2013 senior class in a special pregame ceremony.
WAVES AND DONS
- Pepperdine and Saint Mary’s will square off for the 143rd time in a series dating to the 1968 season.
- The Waves and Gaels have split the last two WCC series with Pepperdine winning in 2012 (2-1) in Moraga and SMC taking a rare win in Malibu (2-1) in 2011.
- Pepperdine suffered a rare home series loss to the Gaels in 2011 - the first for SMC in Malibu since 1994.
- Head coach Steve Rodriguez is 23-4 overall vs. Saint Mary’s with eight series wins since 2004.
- The Waves posted an 18-game winning streak from 2003-08.
- SMC ranks second in the WCC in team batting (.277) and is eighth in team ERA (4.50).
- The Waves and Gaels are tied for fifth in the WCC standings at 9-9.
- The top four teams in the standings qualify for the WCC Championship May 23-25 in Stockton, Calif. at Banner Island Ballpark.
All-Time: PEP leads 114-28.
Last Five: SMC 3-2
Last 10: PEP 7-3
Pepperdine’s last win: 5-1 (4/7/12).
SMC’s last win: 10-5 (4/6/12).
WAVES AND THE BEACH
- The Waves play the 49ers for the second time in eight days when they travel to Long Beach’s Blair Stadium Tuesday, May 14.
- Pepperdine swept the 2012 season series vs. Long Beach State for the first time since 2006.
- The Beach hits .263 as a team and the pitching staff owns a 3.70 ERA.
All-Time: Long Beach St. leads 63-58-2.
Last Five: Long Beach State 3-2.
Last 10: Long Beach State 7-3.
Pepperdine’s last win: 5-3 (2012).
Long Beach State’s last win: 5-3 (5/7/13).
A LOOK AT THE WAVES
- Through 18 league games, Pepperdine sits tied for fifth place with Saint Mary’s at 9-9. The Waves and the Gaels are a full game behind fourth-place Brigham Young (10-8).
- The top four teams in the final regular season standings advance to the 2013 WCC Championships held May 23-25 in Stockton, Calif.
- Pepperdine completed a pair of season series sweeps (2-0) last week against USC and Cal Poly.
- After a 5-3 win vs. No. 24 Cal Poly (5/1) the Waves are 6-7 vs. top-25 opponents in 2013.
- The Waves have won 10 of their last 14 league sets dating to the start of last season, but have lost three of their last four WCC sets in 2013.
- Through 44 games the Waves have clubbed 28 home runs. In 2012, Pepperdine tallied 24 total.
- Waves picked second in the 2013 West Coast Conference Preseason Coaches Poll.
- Pepperdine picked fifth in 2012 preseason poll and won its first WCC title since 2008.
- Waves return 2/3 of their 2012 weekend rotation along with their midweek starter.
- The Waves rank fourth in the WCC in team ERA (3.58), and runs (189) and earned runs (154). Pepperdine has allowed a league-low 68 extra-base hits.
- Pepperdine’s weekend starting rotation enters the week vs. Saint Mary’s with a staff ERA of 3.89, allowing 91 earned runs off 196 hits in 210.2 innings and owns a strikeout/walk ratio of 168/80 and has allowed just 34 extra-base hits in 2013.
- Jr. RHP Scott Frazier posted his 10th career win at Texas A&M (2/22)
- Jr. RHP Corey Miller enjoyed a career day vs. Washington (4/6) tossing 10 scoreless innings with a career-high 10 Ks.
- So. LHP Aaron Brown tossed his first complete game in a 10-4 victory vs. No. 24 Gonzaga (4/21/13) and struck out five for his fifth straight win.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Pepperdine’s bullpen has been outstanding this season with a 8-5 record and a combined ERA of 2.92. Waves relievers have a 97/51 strikeout/walk ratio and have allowed just 19 extra-base hits this season.
- Jr. RHP Eric Karch collected his 12th career win at No. 21 Cal Poly.
- Karch leads Pepperdine in wins (5), appearances (25) and leads all relievers in strikeouts (26)
- Jr. RHP Michael Swanner collected his WCC-leading 11th save of the season vs. No. 24 Cal Poly (5/1/13) and lowered his ERA to 1.00.
- Swanner ranks T-5 in single season saves at Pepperdine. The last Wave to record 11 in a season was Brett Hunter in 2006.
- Waves lead the WCC in doubles (90) and are second in homers (28).
- So. OF Bryan Langlois leads the WCC in doubles (15) and has four home runs, batting .305 on the season.
- After receiving just five at-bats in limited action during his first two seasons with the Waves, Jr. OF Ranny Lowe is capitalizing on his opportunity, batting .311 with six doubles, 24 RBI and 17 runs.
- Jr. OF Chris Amezquita has 36 hits in 2013, with 12 doubles, a team-high seven homers, 23 RBI and 30 runs.
- Sr. 1B Sam Meyer owns the team lead in RBI with 28.
- Seven Waves have recorded at least 30 hits in 2013.
- Pepperdine ranks second in the WCC in fielding percentage (.969).
- The Waves are second in the league in double plays (41).
- The Waves are starting a pair of true freshman up the middle this season: Fr. 2B Hutton Moyer/Fr. 2B Chris Fornaci and Fr. SS Cody Nulph. The duo has tuned 20 double plays.
- Moyer is the son of veteran MLB pitcher Jamie Moyer.
YAMAGUCHI GOES YARD... AGAIN
- So. C Kolten Yamaguchi collected his first two hits in emphatic fashion, hitting two home runs in consecutive at-bats at USC (3/12/13).
- Yamaguchi hit the tying home run in Pepperdine’s 4-3 comeback win vs. LMU (3/17/13) with two outs in the ninth.
Corey Miller - WCC PITCHER OF THE WEEK
- Waves RHP captured first career WCC weekly honor, tossing 10 scoreless innings, allowing just three hits with a career-high 10 Ks.
- Miller retired the first 12 Huskies he faced and threw 118 pitches.
Austin Davidson - WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Waves 3B captured first career WCC weekly honor, batting .714 (10-14) with five doubles, home run and three RBI vs. Santa Clara.
- Davidson hit .432 (16-37) with six doubles, two homers, 12 runs and seven RBI in March.
2013 WEST COAST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP
The West Coast Conference will resume its Baseball Championship this season with a brand new format. Four teams will compete in the 2013 WCC Championships at Banner Island Ballpark May 23-25 in Stockton. It is the first neutral site for the conference championship and will be hosted by the Stockton Ports in cooperation with the Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau. Banner Island Ballpark will host the top four teams from the WCC in the Championship, with a practice day taking place on May 22, and competition from the 23-25.
LAST TIME OUT
- Pepperdine completed its season series sweep with a 5-3 victory vs. No. 24 Cal Poly.
- DH Hutton Moyer hit his first collegiate home run on a 3-for-5 day.
- Michael Swanner recorded his WCC-leading 11th save of the year with a 1-2-3 ninth.
- LHP Matt Maurer struck out four in 5.0 innings.
WAVES AMONG NCAA TEAM LEADERS
- Waves enter the weekend ranked No. 41 in doubles (90) and No. 29 in doubles per game (2.05) (as of 5/6/13)
- Pepperdine is No. 39 in double plays (41)
- Jr. RHP Michael Swanner has been named to the NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch List. Swanner leads the WCC in saves (11) and owns a team-best 0.95 ERA with 21 strikeouts in 19.0 innings.
- So. UT Aaron Brown earned preseason All-American honors from Baseball America (3rd) as selected by Major League scouting directors.
- So. IF Austin Davidson was selected to the All-West Coast Conference Preseason team. Davidson was a member of the 2012 WCC All-Freshman squad.
UP NEXT FOR PEPPERDINE
- After battling Saint Mary’s, Pepperdine travels south to take on area rival Long Beach State Tuesday, May 7.
- Waves close out 2013 regular season May 17-19 with a WCC series at Portland.