Men's Hoops Beaten in Overtime by Saint Mary's, 69-67

Brendan Lane

Feb. 8, 2014

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

Pepperdine-Saint Mary's Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

MALIBU, Calif. - A tremendous effort ended with a heartbreaking finish as the Pepperdine men's basketball team had a shot, but couldn't take down Saint Mary's in a 69-67 overtime loss in West Coast Conference play on Saturday.

The Waves (14-11, 7-6 WCC) were down by seven points late in regulation but sent the game to overtime on a dunk by senior forward Brendan Lane (Rocklin, Calif./Rocklin HS/UCLA) with 19.2 seconds left.

The biggest lead in overtime was the two-point final margin. There were eight lead changes and three ties in the extra five minutes of play as the teams swapped taking one-point leads. The Waves had five shots in the final 1:04 that could have put them in front, but none of them connected, including a rushed three-pointer at the buzzer by Lane.

Lane finished with team highs of 19 points, 10 rebounds, six blocked shots and three steals. He had his seventh double-double of the season. Freshman guard Jeremy Major (Pasadena, Calif./Maranatha HS) had 14 points and four assists, freshman guard Amadi Udenyi (Oakland, Calif./De La Salle HS/St. Thomas More Prep) had 10 points and a season-high seven assists and sophomore forward Stacy Davis (Laveen, Ariz./Fairfax HS) had 12 points and seven rebounds.

Pepperdine outshot SMC 41.8% to 35.5%, but was outrebounded 40-31 and gave up 19 offensive rebounds to the Gaels (18-7, 8-4 WCC), which led to a 13-5 edge in second-chance points.

"We played our hearts out," Pepperdine Coach Marty Wilson said. "But the one disappointing thing was our lack of discipline in finishing the play. To give up 19 offensive rebounds, that's the difference in the game. We did a good job executing, attacking, trying to exploit what we could. But once the shot went up, we had to be more disciplined and block out and go get the ball. To hold them to 35% shooting is great, but rebounding was the backbreaker."

A win would have moved the Waves in front of the Gaels and into a tie for third place in the WCC standings, but Saint Mary's earned its 10th straight win in Firestone Fieldhouse.

The Waves had a terrific defensive showing in the first half as they jumped out to a 28-22 halftime lead. Davis had five points in a 7-0 run as Pepperdine went up 24-19, and Lane gave the Waves what would be their biggest lead of the game at 28-22 on a basket just before halftime.

The start of the second half was all Saint Mary's as the Gaels opened on a 13-2 run, putting them in front 35-30 with 13:30 to go. The lead grew to as many as seven points, first at 50-43 with 6:50 left and again at 55-48 with 4:51 to play.

Lane then converted a three-point play, and two possessions later, Udenyi drained a three-pointer to pull the Waves within one at 55-54 with 3:34 remaining. Saint Mary's went back up by four at 58-54 after a Brad Waldow basket with 2:23 left. Udenyi then sank his second three-pointer, making it a one-point game again at 58-57 with 2:13 left.

Both teams failed to convert on their next possessions. Saint Mary's got the ball back in the final minute and had a couple of chances after some offensive rebounds. The possession ended with Stephen Holt making one of two free throws, putting the Gaels ahead 59-57 with 26 seconds left.

Pepperdine quickly went down the court and Udenyi fed Lane for an emphatic slam dunk with 19.2 seconds left, tying the game at 59. The Gaels held the ball for the last shot but Holt missed a fadeaway.

In overtime, the Waves' last points of the game came with 1:44 left on a basket by Lane, putting Pepperdine ahead 67-66. Saint Mary's then got two free throws by Holt to go back in front with 1:21 left.

The Waves missed on their next possession, but got a stop on the other end with 20.8 seconds left. Lane had his first shot blocked by SMC's Matt Hodgson, but both Lane and Davis had follow-ups that wouldn't go in. Eventually, the Gaels' Kerry Carter got his hands on the ball with 4.4 seconds left. He was fouled, and after missing his first free throw he made the second to make it a two-point game.

On the final possession, Major was bumped at midcourt and lost possession, but the ball found its way to Lane near the top of the circle. His rushed three-point attempt was off the mark, allowing the Gaels to escape.

Holt scored a career-high 29 points for the Gaels.

Pepperdine lost for the first time this season (12-1) when allowing 69 points or fewer. The Waves also lost for the first time in league play when either Davis or Lane have recorded a double-double (4-1), or both Davis and Lane score in double-figures (4-1).

It had been almost one year exactly since Pepperdine's last overtime game, a 72-68 road victory at Portland on Feb. 9, 2013.

Pepperdine heads out on the road for its next three games, beginning with the Pacific Northwest swing. The Waves visit Gonzaga on Thursday (Feb. 13) at 6 p.m. and Portland on Saturday (Feb. 15) at 1 p.m. The Gonzaga game will be on ROOT Sports while the Portland contest is the WCC Game of the Week and it will be on Time Warner Cable SportsNet locally. There will also be free audio broadcasts via WaveCasts at with Al Epstein on the call.



Pepperdine Waves
Official online store