Waves Gut Out Another Overtime Win at Houston Baptist

Jett Raines

Nov. 20, 2012

Final Stats

Pepperdine-Houston Baptist Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

HOUSTON, Texas - Jett Raines scored the first four points of overtime and Lorne Jackson scored the next five for the Pepperdine men's basketball team as the Waves gutted out a 57-53 non-conference victory at Houston Baptist on Tuesday night.

Playing - and winning - their second straight overtime game, the Waves (2-2) were victorious on the road for the first time in three tries this season. The Huskies, who sent the game to overtime on a three-pointer by Marcus Davis with 3.1 seconds remaining, dropped to 3-2.

Raines (Coppell, Texas/Coppell HS), a freshman forward coming back to play in his home state, sank a jumper on the Waves' first possession of overtime and later finished a fast-break off an assist by Jackson (Simi Valley, Calif./Simi Valley HS), putting the Waves up 52-48 with less than three minutes left. Raines had a season-high 12 points.

Jackson, a senior guard who scored a game-high 17 points, sank a dagger three-pointer from the right wing to put the Waves up 55-49 with 1:44 left.

The Huskies would get back within two at 55-53 with 24 seconds left, and Jackson was then fouled with 17.7 seconds left. He made the first, and although he missed the second, a lane violation gave him a second chance. He made his second try, putting the Waves up by four, essentially clinching the victory for Pepperdine.

"It shows a lot of character in our guys to battle back," Pepperdine Coach Marty Wilson said. "It was a learning experience for us. A road win is a road win. They're hard to come by and I'm glad we could get out of here with it."

The Waves never led in the first half and trailed by as many as seven before cutting the deficit to 26-25 at the break. But the second half had five lead changes, beginning when Pepperdine took its first lead on a three-pointer by senior guard Caleb Willis (Stockbridge, Ga./Stockbridge HS), making it 30-28 with less than 15 minutes to go. Willis scored seven of his nine points in the second half and drew two charges.

The Waves would hold Houston Baptist to just one basket over about an eight-minute span, but couldn't take full advantage and could only build a 34-30 lead with more than 10 minutes remaining.

Pepperdine was still up 39-36 with seven minutes left, but the Huskies went on a 9-2 run, capped off by a three-pointer by Tyler Russell with 2:19 left, putting HBU up 45-41. It was the Huskies' first three-pointer of the game after nine misses.

The Waves would come right back with a run of their own, however. Jackson hit a three-pointer with 1:58 left, freshman forward Stacy Davis (Laveen, Ariz./Laveen Betty Fairfax HS) made a basket in the post with 1:08 left and Jackson sank two free throws with 22 seconds left to put Pepperdine ahead 48-45.

On their final possession in regulation, the Huskies missed their first three-point attempt, but got an offensive rebound and Davis didn't miss on the second try, tying the game up. With 3.1 seconds left, the Waves had one last chance but a half-court shot by sophomore guard Jordan Baker (Tempe, Ariz./Tempe HS) missed the mark.

Neither team ended up shooting very well, with Pepperdine at 38.2% and HBU at 35.0%. The Waves were also outrebounded 43-39 and committed more turnovers, 17 to 15.

Davis pulled down 10 rebounds, the first time a Wave reached the double-figure mark this season.

The last time Pepperdine played two consecutive overtime games was in December 1977. The Waves won both of those too.

Pepperdine returns home to host UC Irvine on Saturday (Nov. 24) at 7 p.m. Fans can watch the game and listen to Al Epstein's broadcast via WaveCasts and join an interactive live game chat/blog at www.pepperdinesports.com.



Pepperdine Waves
Official online store