Men's Golf Gets NCAA Norman Regional Started
Pepperdine needs to get in the top five to advance to the NCAA Championships.
NORMAN, Oklahoma – The Pepperdine men’s golf team got off to a rough start during Monday’s first round at the NCAA Norman Regional, but the Waves have two more days to make up for it.
Only the top five teams will advance to the NCAA Championships, and the Waves are currently tied for ninth place, five shots back of fifth, after an opening-round 295 at the par-72 Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club.
The sixth-seeded Waves are making their 23rd NCAA Regional appearance in the last 27 years, and fourth consecutive, and are attempting to qualify for the NCAA Championships for the 10th time. The NCAA Championships are May 25-30 in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
- Sophomore Clay Feagler (Laguna Niguel, Calif./Dana Hills HS) is tied for 21st an opening-round 73. The WCC medalist had three birdies on the day, all in his final nine holes.
- Junior Sahith Theegala (Chino Hills, Calif./Diamond Bar HS) is also tied for 21st after a 73. Two birdies had him at even-par after nine holes, though he went to 3-over after 15. An eagle on the par-5 eighth hole got him back to 1-over for the day.
- Sophomore Joshua McCarthy (Danville, Calif./De La Salle HS) is tied for 28th after a 74. He had four birdies during his round, including three that came on a four-hole stretch during his back nine.
- Junior Roy Cootes (Rolling Hills, Calif./Palos Verdes HS) is tied for 36th after a 75. He had two birdies.
- Freshman RJ Manke (Lakewood, Wash./Bellarmine Preparatory School) is tied for 60th after a 78. He had three birdies.
The second round begins at 8:25 a.m. CT on Tuesday for the Waves. They’ll start on the #1 tee along with UMKC and Nevada. The third and final round is Wednesday.
Team Scores: 1. Oklahoma 283; T2. Auburn 288; T2. Arkansas 288; T2. North Florida 288; 5. San Diego State 290; T6. Florida State 293; T6. UMKC 293; 8. Nevada 294; T9. Pepperdine 295; T9. BYU 295; 11. Virginia 297; 12. Sam Houston State 301; 13. Prairie View A&M 315; 14. Navy 323.
Top Individuals: 1. Blaine Hale (Oklahoma) 67; T2. Quade Cummins (Oklahoma) 69; T2. William Buhl (Arkansas) 69; T4. seven players tied at 70.