Men's Golf Vaults to Second Place at NCAA Regional
The Waves had one of the best rounds in program history on Tuesday.
NORMAN, Oklahoma -- Led by Joshua McCarthy and Sahith Theegala, the Pepperdine men's golf team vaulted back into NCAA Championships contention with one of the best rounds in program history on Tuesday, putting the Waves into second place after two rounds at the NCAA Norman Regional.
The Waves shot a 14-under 274 -- the best NCAA postseason round in school history, tied for the fourth-best round overall and the best score of the day -- to move up seven spots in the standings.
Only the top five teams will advance to the NCAA Championships, and after opening the tournament in a tie for ninth place, the Waves needed a big second round. They did just that and now have a two-day total of a 7-under 569 (295-274) at the par-72 Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club, and they're eight shots clear of sixth place. They're also just two shots behind the leader, host Oklahoma.
The sixth-seeded Waves are making their 23rd NCAA Regional appearance in the last 27 years, and fourth consecutive, and are attempting to qualify for the NCAA Championships for the 10th time. The NCAA Championships are May 25-30 in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
- Sophomore Joshua McCarthy (Danville, Calif./De La Salle HS) fired the tournament's best round of the day, a flawless 7-under 65, to move up 25 spots and into a tie for third place with a 5-under 139 (74-65). The 7-under is a personal college best for McCarthy and is the second-best 18-hole score in the program's NCAA postseason history. He had four birdies on the front nine and three more on the back nine without a single bogey.
- Junior Sahith Theegala (Chino Hills, Calif./Diamond Bar HS) was nearly as good, shooting a 6-under 66 that moved him up 18 spots and also into a tie for third with a 5-under 139 (73-66). The 6-under ties the third-best round in the program's NCAA postseason history. He had seven birdies against just one bogey.
- Sophomore Clay Feagler (Laguna Niguel, Calif./Dana Hills HS) is tied for 19th place with an even-par 144 (73-71). He had three birdies during his 1-under round and played the back nine with eight pars and one birdie.
- Junior Roy Cootes (Rolling Hills, Calif./Palos Verdes HS) is tied for 49th place at 149 (75-74). He had six birdies on Tuesday.
- Freshman RJ Manke (Lakewood, Wash./Bellarmine Preparatory School) bounced back nicely with an even-par 72, putting him into a tie for 53rd place at 150 (78-72). After starting the round with two bogeys, he was back to even-par after eight holes and finished with three birdies total.
The third and final round begins at 7:30 a.m. CT for the Waves, who will start on the #1 tee with Oklahoma and North Florida.
Team Scores: 1. Oklahoma 283-284=567; 2. Pepperdine 295-274=569; 3. North Florida 288-283=571; T4. BYU 295-278=573; T4. Auburn 288-285=573; 6. Florida State 293-284=577; 7. Virginia 297-281=578; 8. Nevada 294-285=579; 9. San Diego State 290-290=580; 10. Arkansas 288-293=581; T11. Sam Houston State 301-289=590; T11. UMKC 293-297=590; 13. Navy 323-302=625; 14. Prairie View A&M 315-316=631.
Top Individuals: 1. Blaine Hale (Oklahoma) 67-69=136; 2. Patrick Fishburn (BYU) 71-66=137; T3. Joshua McCarthy (Pepperdine) 74-65=139; T3. Sahith Theegala (Pepperdine) 73-66=139; T3. Trace Crowe (Auburn) 70-69=139.