Waves Get Trinity Forest Invitational Underway
The Waves are tied for 11th place after the first round.
DALLAS, Texas – The Pepperdine men’s golf team got off to a tremendous start during Sunday’s first round of the Trinity Forest Invitational, but unfortunately couldn’t maintain that momentum.
Counting each of the Waves’ four scoring players through seven holes, Pepperdine had a score of 6-under and was around the top of the leaderboard. But by the end of the day, the Waves were tied for 11th place with an 8-over 292 at the par-71 Trinity Forest Golf Club.
- Junior Sahith Theegala (Chino Hills, Calif./Diamond Bar HS) had a total of seven birdies en route to a 1-under 70 that put him into a tie for 14th place. His round started birdie-birdie-birdie and he was 4-under through six holes. He was then 2-over after 13 holes, but then posted three more birdies on his way to the finish. All four of his rounds in 2017-18 have been below par.
- Sophomore Joshua McCarthy (Danville, Calif./De La Salle HS) is tied for 47th after a 2-over 73. He had three birdies.
- Sophomore Clay Feagler (Laguna Niguel, Calif./Dana Hills HS) is tied for 53rd with a 74. He had two birdies.
- Freshman RJ Manke (Lakewood, Wash./Bellarmine Preparatory School), making his college debut, is tied for 58th at 75. His first round started par-birdie-birdie.
- Sophomore Hunter Epson (Long Beach, Calif./Wilson HS) is tied for 72nd at 78. He had two birdies.
The second round is on Monday and the third and final round is on Tuesday.
Team Scores: 1. Florida 275; 2. Texas 276; 3. Auburn 278; 4. USC 282; T5. Oregon 283; T5. North Texas 283; 7. Texas Tech 284; 8. Clemson 285; 9. Ball State 288; 10. Iowa 290; T11. Pepperdine 292; T11. SMU 292; 13. Kansas State 296.
Top Individuals: 1. Scottie Scheffler (Texas) 65; T2. Alejandro Tosti (Florida) 67; T2. Justin Suh (USC) 67; T2. McClure Meissner (SMU) 67; T2. Viktor Forslund (North Texas) 67.