Waves Tie for Fifth at MacKenzie Invitational
The Waves are back in action in two weeks at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate.
FAIRFAX, California – Led by another top-10 finish from Sahith Theegala, the Pepperdine men’s golf team rose a couple of spots and finished in a tie for fifth place at the Alister MacKenzie Invitational on Tuesday.
The Waves finished with a two-day total of a 17-under 835 (282-275-278) at the par-71 Meadow Club. Pepperdine shot 6-under in the final round, which was the third-best score of the day.
- Junior Sahith Theegala (Chino Hills, Calif./Diamond Bar HS) tied for seventh place after his best round of the tournament, a 4-under 67. He was well below par in all three rounds and finished with a career-best-tying 10-under 203 (68-68-67). He had six birdies on Tuesday, including three on the final four holes. He finished with a team-best 16 birdies for the tournament. Theegala’s 45th career below-par round gave him sole possession of fifth place on the Waves’ all-time list. His 21st career top-20 finish ties him for ninth all-time.
- Sophomore Joshua McCarthy (Danville, Calif./De La Salle HS) tied for 21st with a 3-under 210 (69-69-72). His final round had four birdies.
- Junior Roy Cootes (Rolling Hills, Calif./Palos Verdes HS) saved his best round for last, a 2-under 69 that included seven birdies. He moved up to a tie for 31st place with an even-par 213 (70-74-69).
- Sophomore Clay Feagler (Laguna Niguel, Calif./Dana Hills HS) tied for 33rd place at 214 (75-66-73).
- Freshman RJ Manke (Lakewood, Wash./Bellarmine Preparatory School) tied for 53rd place at 218 (76-72-70) and improved his score each round. His Tuesday score of 1-under included six birdies.
Pepperdine’s fourth of five fall tournaments is Baylor’s Royal Oaks Intercollegiate from October 23-24 in Dallas.
Team Scores: 1. California 267-272-272=811; 2. Santa Clara 274-274-280=828; 3. Arizona State 269-281-282=832; 4. San Diego State 273-273-287=833; T5. Pepperdine 282-275-278=835; T5. Nevada 271-280-284=835; 7. Oregon State 280-285-272=837; 8. Saint Mary’s 275-280-283=838; 9. Fresno State 282-283-279=844; 10. San Jose State 284-281-287=852; 11. Minnesota 283-289-282=854; 12. Washington 289-288-279=856; 13. San Francisco 280-283-294=857; 14. San Diego 293-287-288=868; 15. Harvard 294-292-294=880; 16. Hawai’I 295-299-290=884.
Top Individuals: 1. K.K. Limbhasut (California) 64-65-69=198; T2. Kevin Velo (San Jose State) 65-65-69=199; T2. Sebastian Crampton (California) 66-69-64=199; 4. Hayden Shieh (Santa Clara) 67-65-68=200; 5. PJ Samiere (San Diego State) 66-66-69=201.