Waves Rally to Beat Washington in Season Opener
Pepperdine's home opener is scheduled for this Friday at 10 a.m. versus San Diego.
Jan. 21, 2014
SEATTLE – The #12 Pepperdine men’s tennis team opened the 2014 dual campaign today with a 5-2 triumph over #36 Washington on the road. The Waves took the doubles point before earning four three-set wins in singles to secure the team victory.
The doubles point was close, but Pepperdine earned the opening edge by taking two of the three matches. Senior duo Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) and Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) edged Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke by a 6-4 tally, while newcomers Pedro Leme (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Mackenzie Tambore) and Alex Giannini (Los Angeles, Calif./Gorman Learning Center) topped Michael Chamerski and Wendell Watanabe, 6-3.
The Huskies (2-1) took back the lead, earning straight-set victories from the No. 5 and No. 6 spots in the lineup.
Although the Waves won opening sets on the remaining four courts, Washington kept it interesting by forcing all four matches to go the full three sets.
Pepperdine pulled through in the end, winning all four deciding frames.
Sarkissian, the Waves' top-ranked individual player at #33, downed Max Manthou 6-2, 4-6, 6-4. #58-ranked David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS), up to No. 2 in the lineup after playing mostly at No. 6 last season, topped Emmett Egger 6-4 in the third.
Alcantara won in three sets from the No. 3 spot, while Stefan Menichella (Santa Barbara, Calif./University HS) earned his first collegiate dual win against Jeff Hawke.
Pepperdine continues its season-opening week with the ITA Kick-Off Weekend, Jan. 24-25, on the home courts of the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. The Waves welcome in San Diego, Alabama and California.
Pepperdine vs Washington
Jan 21, 2014
#12 Pepperdine 5, #36 Washington 2
1. #33 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Max Manthou (UW) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
2. #58 David Sofaer (PEP) def. Emmett Egger (UW) 6-4, 5-6, 6-4
3. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Gal Hakak (UW) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
4. Stefan Menichella (PEP) def. Jeff Hawke (UW) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
5. Viktor Farkas (UW) def. Pedro Leme (PEP) 6-2, 6-4
6. Michael Chamerski (UW) def. RJ Evangelista (PEP) 6-2, 6-3
1. Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke (UW) 6-4
2. Viktor Farkas/Max Manthou (UW) def. David Sofaer/Tom Hill (PEP) 6-3
3. Pedro Leme/Alex Giannini (PEP) def. Michael Chamerski/Wendell Watanabe (UW) 6-3
Pepperdine 1-0; National ranking #12
Washington 2-1; National ranking #36