Waves Fall in ITA Kick-Off Finals to Cal
Alex Sarkissian delivers wins in both singles and doubles to lead Pepperdine this afternoon.
Jan. 25, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. – Despite winning the doubles point, the #12-ranked Pepperdine men’s tennis team fell to #16 Cal 4-2 in the title match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. With the victory, the Golden Bears will advance to the ITA Indoor National Championship in February.
Pepperdine edged Cal in doubles to take the opening lead. Just like yesterday against San Diego, doubles came down to the No. 1 spot in the lineup.
The Golden Bears got on the board with a win on court two, but Rakshay Thakkar (Pune, India/St. Vincent's High School) and Alex Giannini (Los Angeles, Calif./Gorman Learning Center) teamed up to defeat Mads Engsted and Filip Bergevi 6-4 at No. 3.
Although Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) and Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) fell behind a break to Ben McLachlan and Campbell Johnson, the Waves’ top duo quickly earned the break back and held serve to take a 5-4 lead.
A pair of winners put Sarkissian and Alcantara up 30-love with Cal serving. Still up 40-15, McLachlan and Johnson were able to save one match point, but a hard-hit forehand by Sarkissian was unreturnable and the Waves broke serve to win 6-4 to secure the doubles point.
Sarkissian was once again the first to finish his singles match, posting a 6-1, 6-2 decision vs. McLachlan.
Unfortunately for the Waves, it would be their only singles victory of the day. Cal won straight-set decisions in four different matches to claim the dual 4-2.
Stefan Menichella (Santa Barbara, Calif./University HS) was battling in the third set when action was suspended.
Pepperdine looks to rebound next week Wednesday, Jan. 29 when the team faces #24 Tulsa on the road.
California vs Pepperdine
Jan 25, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#16 California 4, #12 Pepperdine 2
1. #33 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Ben McLachlan (CAL) 6-2, 6-1
2. #74 Campbell Johnson (CAL) def. #58 David Sofaer (PEP) 6-3, 6-2
3. Filip Bergevi (CAL) def. Francis Alcantara (PEP) 6-4, 6-5 (7-5)
4. Stefan Menichella (PEP) vs. #85 Andre Goransson (CAL) 6-4, 2-6, 0-2, unfinished
5. Gregory Bayane (CAL) def. Pedro Leme (PEP) 6-1, 6-2
6. Nikhil Jayashankar (CAL) def. Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) 6-3, 6-2
1. Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Campbell Johnson/Ben McLachlan (CAL) 6-4
2. Gregory Bayane/Chase Melton (CAL) def. David Sofaer/Pedro Leme (PEP) 6-2
3. Rakshay Thakkar/Alex Giannini (PEP) def. Mads Engsted/Filip Bergevi (CAL) 6-4
California 3-0; National ranking #16
Pepperdine 2-1; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,2,5,6,3)