Waves Off to Solid Start with 6-1 Triumph Over Loyola Marymount
After being rained out at Fresno State over the weekend, Pepperdine is able to tally its first win of the 2012 campaign.
Jan. 25, 2012
LOS ANGELES - The #12 Pepperdine men's tennis team topped Loyola Marymount on the road, 6-1, to start the 2012 season with a "W" and earn a point in the Wells Fargo PCH Cup.
The home opener is scheduled for this Friday at 10 a.m. when the Waves face Cal Poly in ITA Kick-Off Weekend action.
The Waves won all three doubles matches to take the early lead. Finn Tearney (Wellington, New Zealand/Wellington College) and Sebastian Fanselow (Essen, Germany/Kaplan College Prep) paired together and downed Todd Volmari and Nicholas Bjerke 8-4 in the top match.
In the two spot, Mousheg Hovhannisyan (North Hollywood, Calif./Continental Academy) and David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) earned a close 8-6 victory, while Daniel Moss (Malibu, Calif./Malibu HS) and Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (Kihei, Hawaii/St. Anthony Junior-Senior HS) secured the doubles sweep with a 9-7 win on court three.
In singles, the Waves won five of the six matches starting with straight-set wins from Tearney and Fanselow, playing in the No. 1 and No. 2 matches, respectively.
Sofaer claimed the first set, 6-3, before Feliz van Kann evened the score with a 6-4 win on the second frame. The sophomore responded with a 6-2 win in the deciding set to give Pepperdine a 4-0 lead.
At court No. 3, Hovhannisyan dropped the first set to Volmari in the tiebreaker but claimed the subsequent sets 6-2, 7-5 to earn his first dual singles win of the season.
Moss tallied Pepperdine's final win of the day, defeating Sebastian Bustamante, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.
Tanaka-Tamaki was in a deadlocked battle with Daniel Simko, as the duo each claimed a set in the tiebreaker. In the deciding frame, Simko edged the Waves' freshman 7-5.
The Waves face Cal Poly, who is under the direction of former Pepperdine assistant Nick Carless, on Friday (Jan. 27) at 10 a.m. Following that, Vanderbilt squares off with BYU at 2 p.m. The winner of both matches meets at 2 p.m. on Saturday (Jan. 28) for the chance to advance to the ITA National Indoor Team Championships in February.
#12 Pepperdine 6, Loyola Marymount 1
Jan. 25, 2012 - LMU Tennis Center
1. Finn Tearney/Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. Todd Volmari/Nicholas Bjerke (LMU) 8-4
2. Mousheg Hovhannisyan/David Sofaer (PEP) def. Daniel Simko/Nick Northcott (LMU) 8-6
3. Daniel Moss/Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (PEP) def. Sebastian Bustamante/Felix van Kann (LMU) 9-7
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. #35 Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Alex Wilton (LMU) 6-2, 6-1
2. #21 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. Nicholas Bjerke (LMU) 6-4, 6-5
3. #49 Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 6-7 (3), 6-2, 7-5
4. David Sofaer (PEP) def. Felix van Kann (LMU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
5. Daniel Moss (PEP) def. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
6. Daniel Simko (LMU) def. Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (PEP) 7-6 (3), 6-7 (5), 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6