Leme Clinches 4-3 Victory vs. Tulsa
Sophomore Pedro Leme wins third set tiebreaker 11-9 to clinch dual for Pepperdine.
Jan. 29, 2014
TULSA, Okla. – The #16 Pepperdine men’s tennis team earned a thrilling 4-3 road triumph at #30 Tulsa this evening inside the Michael D. Case Tennis Center. For the second time this season, sophomore Pedro Leme held on in the third set tiebreaker to send the Waves to victory.
In doubles, Pepperdine (4-1) and the Golden Hurricane (4-3) split matches on courts two and three before Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) and Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) topped Clifford Marsland and Dylan McCloskey 6-4 in the top match to claim the doubles point.
The Waves have won the doubles point in all five matches this season.
Alcantara went up against Tulsa’s only ranked player in #71 Carlos Bautista in singles, and emerged with dominant 6-0, 6-0 victory to give Pepperdine the 2-0 lead.
Alejandro Espejo and Marsland both won to put the Golden Hurricane on the board, and even the score at 2-2.
Sarkissian earned the Waves’ third point and improved to 4-0 on the season after edging Japie De Klerk 6-4, 6-5.
Tulsa once again evened the score after Dylan McCloskey held on for the three set win from the No. 6 spot in the lineup.
The deciding point rested on the shoulders of Leme (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Mackenzie Tambore) and Juan Carvajal. The opponents both claimed a set and were deadlocked on the deciding frame. Tied 5-5, the match was sent to a tiebreaker.
The first-to-seven win-by-two tiebreaker was played well beyond the seven point mark. Up 10-9, Leme was finally able to break through for the point and clinch the set, match and dual 11-9.
The sophomore had previously clinched a 4-2 win for the Waves vs. San Diego last week Friday by winning the third set tiebreaker by a 7-5 tally.
Pepperdine continues this week’s action at home on Sunday, Feb. 2 vs. Cal Poly. First serve is slated for noon.
Pepperdine vs Tulsa
1/27/2014 at Tulsa, Okla.
(Michael D. Case Tennis Center)
#16 Pepperdine 4, #30 Tulsa 3
1. #33 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Japie De Klerk (TLS) 6-4, 6-5 (7-5)
2. Clifford Marsland (TLS) def. #58 David Sofaer (PEP) 6-2, 6-3
3. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. #71 Carlos Bautista (TLS) 6-0, 6-0
4. Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. Stefan Menichella (PEP) 6-0, 6-2
5. Pedro Leme (PEP) def. Juan Carvajal (TLS) 6-3, 4-6, 6-5 (11-9)
6. Dylan McCloskey (TLS) def. Tom Hill (PEP) 5-6 (5-7), 6-2, 6-3
1. Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Clifford Marsland/Dylan McCloskey (TLS) 6-4
2. Japie De Klerk/Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. David Sofaer/Stefan Menichella (PEP) 6-2
3. Alex Giannini/Pedro Leme (PEP) def. Carlos Bautista/Daniel Santos (TLS) 6-2
Pepperdine 3-1; National ranking #16
Tulsa 4-3; National ranking #30
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,4,2,1,6,5)