#20 Waves Roll by #35 Boise State, 6-1
Pepperdine remains undefeated at home this season following 6-1 win over Broncos.
Feb. 12, 2011
MALIBU, Calif. – The #20 Pepperdine men’s tennis team tallied its sixth win of the season following a 6-1 triumph over #35 Boise State. The Waves claimed the doubles point before winning five of the six singles contests.
Pepperdine made short work of the doubles competition, clinching the point in under an hour. Sebastian Fanselow (Essen, Germany/Kaplan College Prep) and Jenson Turner (Woodland Hill, Calif./Campbell Hall HS) improved to a perfect 6-0 in dual action after an 8-0 rout over Filipp Pogostkin and Andrew Bettles.
Alfredo Moreno (Queretaro, Mexico/JFK School) and Alex Llompart (Carolina, Puerto Rico/San Juan Educational School) secured the doubles point with an 8-4 win against Nathan Sereke and Jeff Mullen on court two.
In singles, both Fanselow and Hugh Clarke (Brisbane, Australia/Brisbane Boys College) gave up a combined four games in their straight-set victories. Fanselow, who is ranked #14 on the Campbell/ITA Collegiate rankings, defeated #85-ranked Pogostkin 6-2, 6-0, while Clarke topped Sereke, 6-1, 6-1.
#40 Llompart downed Scott Sears, 6-3, 6-4, and Mousheg Hovhannisyan (North Hollywood, Calif./Continental Academy) defeated Bettles by a score of 6-2, 6-4.
Moreno and Mullen exchanged sets before Mullen escaped with a 10-8 win the tiebreaker to win the third frame.
In the final match to finish, Finn Tearney (Wellington, New Zealand/Wellington College) won first stanza 6-2, before falling short in the second to #62 Damian Hume. The pair played a 10-point tiebreaker in place of a tradition set, which saw Tearney prevail by a score of 10-6. The sophomore Wave is now 5-2 versus ranked opposition and 18-6 overall.
Next up on the Pepperdine schedule is the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic on Feb. 25-27 in Montgomery, Ala.
#20 Pepperdine 6, #35 Boise State 1
1. #112 Finn Tearney (PEP) def. #62 Damian Hume (BSU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (6)
2. #14 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. #85 Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. #40 Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Scott Sears (BSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Jeff Mullen (BSU) def. Alfredo Moreno (PEP) 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (8)
5. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Andrew Bettles (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Hugh Clarke (PEP) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Scott Sears/Damian Hume (BSU) def. #35 Finn Tearney/Hugh Clarke (PEP) 8-4
2. Alfredo Moreno/Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Nathan Sereke/Jeff Mullen (BSU) 8-4
3. Sebastian Fanselow/Jenson Turner (PEP) def. Filipp Pogostkin/Andrew Bettles (BSU) 8-0
Boise State 2-5; National ranking #35
Pepperdine 6-2; National ranking #20