Alcantara, Sarkissian Win Big in 4-1 Loss to Tennessee
Pepperdine's senior doubles pair upsets NCAA's top-ranked doubles team.
Feb. 16, 2014
HOUSTON – Despite a strong showing in doubles, the #15 Pepperdine men’s tennis team lost to #14 Tennessee 4-1 on the final day of the ITA National Team Indoor Championship. Alex Sarkissian and Francis Alcantara earned a gigantic upset victory at No. 1 doubles, issuing #1-ranked and previously undefeated Mikelis Libietis and Hunter Reese a 6-3 loss.
The Waves, in their third dual vs. a top-25 opponent in as many days, took the early advantage after winning two of the three doubles matches.
Although the Volunteers got on the board first with a narrow 6-4 win on court three, David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) and Tom Hill (Birmingham, England/K12 International Academy) won their second in a row from the No. 2 spot in the lineup. The duo defeated Jarryd Chaplin and Brandon Fickey by a 6-4 tally.
The doubles point came down to the No. 1 match, where Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) and Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) were battling with top ranked Libietis and Reese.
Pepperdine’s senior doubles duo defeated the reigning ITA All-American Championship winning Tennessee pair, 6-3. It was Sarkissian and Alcantara’s first win over a ranked duo this season as they improve to 6-2 in duals and 8-3 overall.
Libietis and Reese drop to 9-1 in dual matches and 20-3 on the season with the loss.
The Volunteers got back on track in singles, but not without challenge. Sarkissian and Pedro Leme (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Mackenzie Tambore) both lost their first sets in the tiebreaker, while Alcantara won his first frame in the 7-point decider.
Tennessee would hold on to win four singles matches in straight sets to take the dual victory.
Pepperdine makes a quick turnaround, heading back to Southern California for road matches at Loyola Marymount on Tuesday, Feb. 18 and UCLA on Saturday, Feb. 22.
Pepperdine vs Tennessee
Feb 16, 2014 at Houston, TX
(Galleria Tennis and Athletic Center)
#14 Tennessee 4, #15 Pepperdine 1
1. #45 Mikelis Libietis (TENN) def. #36 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) 6-5 (8-6), 6-4
2. #17 Hunter Reese (TENN) vs. #116 David Sofaer (PEP) 6-1, 2-6, 4-1, unfinished
3. Brandon Fickey (TENN) vs. Francis Alcantara (PEP) 5-6, 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
4. Jarryd Chaplin (TENN) def. Pedro Leme (PEP) 6-5 (7-3), 6-4
5. Andrew Dromsky (TENN) def. RJ Evangelista (PEP) 6-4, 6-1
6. Markus Kerner (TENN) def. Alex Giannini (PEP) 6-2, 6-4
1. Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. #1 Mikelis Libietis/Hunter Reese (TENN) 6-3
2. David Sofaer/Tom Hill (PEP) def. Jarryd Chaplin/Brandon Fickey (TENN) 6-4
3. Andrew Dromsky/Markus Kerner (TENN) def. Alex Giannini/Pedro Leme (PEP) 6-4
Pepperdine 4-4; National ranking #15
Tennessee 10-3; National ranking #14
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,5,1,4)
ITA National Men's Team indoor Championship - Third Round (Consolation)