Waves Tame Lions in WCC Opener
Francis Alcantara and Alex Sarkissian improve to 7-1 after doubles win today.
Feb. 18, 2014
LOS ANGELES – The #19 Pepperdine men’s tennis team, playing in its fourth match in five days, opened West Coast Conference play with a 4-0 shutout at Loyola Marymount. With the win, the Waves add 1.5 points to its Wells Fargo PCH Cup total.
The battle for the doubles point was a closely contested affair that saw all three matches decided in the tiebreaker.
Although the Lions (3-2, 0-1 WCC) earned the opening edge at No. 2, the Waves (5-4, 1-0 WCC) earned two exciting wins at No. 1 and No. 3.
Alex Giannini (Los Angeles, Calif./Gorman Learning Center) and Pedro Leme (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Mackenzie Tambore) fell behind a break early, 2-5, and trailed as late as 4-7 versus Daniel Simko and David Doehring.
The underclassmen duo then rattled off three consecutive games to send the match to the tiebreaker, which the Waves won with momentum on their side.
Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) and Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State), who faced three top-10 doubles teams over the weekend, had to fend off an LMU comeback. After Todd Volmari and Sebastian Bustamante made a late break, Sarkissian and Alcantara held on to win in the tiebreaker and secure the doubles point for Pepperdine.
With the win, Sarkissian and Alcantara improve to 7-1 in dual action, which includes Sunday’s upset victory over #1 Mikelis Libietis and Hunter Reese of Tennessee.
The Waves pulled away in singles, winning three straight-set decisions to clinch the dual 4-0.
Tom Hill (Birmingham, England/K12 International Academy) was the first off the court, defeating Daniel Simko by a score of 6-2, 6-3.
Alcantara followed suit, topping Cristobal Rivera 6-3, 7-5.
Senior David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) provided the dual clincher, downing Felix Van Kann 6-2, 6-3
The remaining matches were abandoned after Pepperdine earned the fourth point.
The Waves continue action this week with a rematch at UCLA on Saturday, Feb. 22. Pepperdine faced the Bruins just last Friday in the opening round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championship.
Pepperdine vs Loyola Marymount University
Feb 18, 2014 at Los Angeles, Calif.
(LMU Tennis Center)
#19 Pepperdine 4, Loyola Marymount University 0
1. David Doehring (LMU) vs. #36 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) 6-4, 0-6, unfinished
2. #116 David Sofaer (PEP) def. Felix Van Kann (LMU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Cristobal Rivera (LMU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Todd Volmari (LMU) vs. Pedro Leme (PEP) 4-6, 6-2, unfinished
5. Othar Kordsachia (LMU) vs. RJ Evangelista (PEP) 7-5, unfinished
6. Tom Hill (PEP) def. Daniel Simko (LMU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Todd Volmari/Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 8-7
2. Felix Van Kann/Cristobal Rivera (LMU) def. David Sofaer/Tom Hill (PEP) 8-7
3. Alex Giannini/Pedro Leme (PEP) def. Daniel Simko/David Doehring (LMU) 8-7
Pepperdine 5-4; National ranking #19
Loyola Marymount University 3-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,3,2)