Waves Double Winners in Doubleheader
Pepperdine makes most of its two-dual Wednesday, beating both Nevada and UC Irvine.
Feb. 26, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. – The #28 Pepperdine men’s tennis team won twice today, first shutting out #71 Nevada by a 4-0 tally before posting a 6-1 victory over UC Irvine. The Waves improve to 7-5 on the 2014 season.
The day started with a 10 a.m. match vs. Nevada.
Pepperdine won the doubles point, but not without a challenge from the Wolf Pack. Rakshay Thakkar (Pune, India/St. Vincent's High School) and Pedro Leme (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Mackenzie Tambore) got the ball rolling for the home team, downing Andrew Poustie and Fernando Sunago by an 8-4 tally.
David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) and Tom Hill (Birmingham, England/K12 International Academy) provided the clincher and earned an 8-6 victory vs. Moez Echargui and Quentin Mege from the No. 2 spot in the lineup.
The Waves distanced themselves from Nevada in singles, taking the first set in five of the six matches.
Stefan Menichella (Santa Barbara, Calif./University HS) won in straights sets at No. 4, while Sarkissian put away a 6-1, 6-3 win just moments later to give Pepperdine a 3-0 lead.
Senior Sofaer edged Mege in the first set tiebreaker and rode the momentum to a dominant 6-0 triumph in the second set to tally the dual-clinching fourth point for the Waves.
The remaining matches were abandoned once the dual had been decided.
A hop, skip and a lunch break later, Pepperdine was back on the courts to play UC Irvine.
Sarkissian and Alcantara rebounded soundly from their doubles setback vs. Nevada, handing Jonathan Hammel and Tyler Pham an 8-2 loss.
Sofaer and Hill clinched the doubles point for the second time on Wednesday vs. Anteaters. Although the Waves had double match point, Ryan Cheung and Jonathan Poon held serve to make it a 7-6 match. In the next game, Hill kept his serving en point and held for the 8-6 victory.
In singles, Sarkissian quickly put the Waves ahead 2-0 with a near shutout on court one. The senior downed Cheung 6-1, 6-3.
After winning his first set 6-1, Alcantara fell behind 0-3 to Pham. Alcantara then rattled off six-straight games to win 6-3 and tally Pepperdine’s third team point of the afternoon.
Freshman Menichella put the Waves out of reach, logging a 6-4, 6-3 decision while playing at No. 3 singles for the first time this season.
Leme and Thakkar also won in singles for Pepperdine. The final match finished hardly a minute before the forecasted rain began to fall.
The Waves continue their busy Spring Break with the Pacific Coast Doubles Championship in La Jolla this Friday through Sunday.
Nevada vs Pepperdine
Feb 26, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#28 Pepperdine 4, #71 Nevada 0
1. #42 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Moez Echargui (NEV-M) 6-1, 6-3
2. Francis Alcantara (PEP) vs. Victor Ouvrard (NEV-M) 7-6, 2-1, unfinished
3. #103 David Sofaer (PEP) def. Quentin Mege (NEV-M) 7-6, 6-0
4. Stefan Menichella (PEP) def. Andrew Poustie (NEV-M) 6-2, 6-3
5. RJ Evangelista (PEP) vs. Ryan Andrada (NEV-M) 3-6, 3-2, unfinished
6. Alexander Solonin (PEP) vs. Fernando Sunago (NEV-M) 7-5, 2-1, unfinished
1. Victor Ouvrard/Robert Allan (NEV-M) def. #7 Francis Alcantara/Alex Sarkissian (PEP) 8-7 (7-3)
2. David Sofaer/Tom Hill (PEP) def. Moez Echargui/Quentin Mege (NEV-M) 8-6
3. Rakshay Thakkar/Pedro Leme (PEP) def. Andrew Poustie/Fernando Sunago (NEV-M) 8-4
Nevada 5-2; National ranking #71
Pepperdine 6-5; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,1,3)
UC Irvine vs Pepperdine
Feb 26, 2014 at
#28 Pepperdine 6, UC Irvine 1
1. #42 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Ryan Cheung (UCI) 6-1, 6-0
2. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Tyler Pham (UCI) 6-1, 6-3
3. Stefan Menichella (PEP) def. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) 6-4, 6-3
4. Rafael Davidian (UCI) def. #103 David Sofaer (PEP) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Pedro Leme (PEP) def. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) 7-5, 6-2
6. Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) def. Jonathan Poon (UCI) 6-3, 5-7, 10-7
1. #7 Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Jonathan Hammel/Tyler Pham (UCI) 8-2
2. David Sofaer/Tom Hill (PEP) def. Ryan Cheung/Jonathan Poon (UCI) 8-6
3. Justin Agbayani/Caryl Hernandez (UCI) def. Pedro Leme/Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) 8-5
UC Irvine 2-9
Pepperdine 7-5; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3,5,6,4)