#51 TCU Stuns #32 Pepperdine, 4-2
Waves look ahead to Tuesday's doublesheader featuring Furman and Hawaii.
March 8, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. – After losing the doubles point, the #32 Pepperdine men’s tennis team was unable to overcome #51 TCU in singles and bowed out 4-2. Despite the team loss, Alex Sarkissian and Stefan Menichella posted singles victories for the Waves.
The Horned Frogs improve to 7-4 on the year, while Pepperdine falls to 7-7.
The visiting team got on the board first, putting two doubles matches in the books to clinch the point.
With momentum on its side, TCU took a 3-0 lead off of wins by Jhonatan Gonzalez at No. 6 and Arnau Dachs at No. 3.
Pepperdine began to create some momentum of its own after #43-ranked Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) put a point on the board for his team with a 6-3, 7-6 triumph over #51 Nick Chappell. It was the aces’ fourth win in a row as he improves to 9-2 on the dual season.
Menichella (Santa Barbara, Calif./University HS) brought the Waves within one, 3-2 after rallying from a loss in the opening frame to win 6-3, 6-4.
TCU earned its dual-clinching point courtesy of #93-ranked Facundo Lugones, who put away a 7-5, 6-3 decision versus Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State).
Pedro Leme (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Mackenzie Tambore) was up 5-4 in the third when action was suspended.
The Waves look to rebound on Tuesday when they host a doubleheader featuring Furman and Hawaii. It will be a homecoming of sorts for the Paladins’ coach Kelly Jones. Jones won back-to-back NCAA Doubles Championships for Pepperdine in 1984 and 1985. He was inducted into the Pepperdine Athletics Hall of Fame in 2009.
TCU vs Pepperdine
Mar 08, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#51 TCU 4, #32 Pepperdine 2
1. #42 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. #51 Nick Chappell (TCU) 6-3, 7-6
2. #93 Facundo Lugones (TCU) def. Francis Alcantara (PEP) 7-5, 6-3
3. Arnau Dachs (TCU) def. #103 David Sofaer (PEP) 6-4, 6-2
4. Stefan Menichella (PEP) def. Rodolfo Bustamante (TCU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Pedro Leme (PEP) vs. Trey Daniel (TCU) 6-4, 4-6, 5-4, unfinished
6. Jhonatan Gonzalez (TCU) def. Alexander Solonin (PEP) 6-3, 6-0
1. #7 Francis Alcantara/Alex Sarkissian (PEP) vs. #18 Nick Chappell/Will Stein (TCU) unfinished
2. Arnau Dachs/Trey Daniel (TCU) def. Tom Hill/David Sofaer (PEP) 8-5
3. Facundo Lugones/Hudson Blake (TCU) def. Alex Giannini/Pedro Leme (PEP) 8-4
TCU 7-4; National ranking #51
Pepperdine 7-7; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (6,3,1,4,2)