#1 Oklahoma Tops #46 Pepperdine, 4-1
David Sofaer and Rakshay Thakkar clinch doubles point for Waves.
March 19, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. – After taking the doubles point from #1 Oklahoma, the #46 Pepperdine men’s tennis team was unable to hold on for the win in singles and fell 4-1. Despite the loss, the Waves showed tremendous fight and became just the fourth team this season to take the doubles point from the top-ranked Sooners.
Oklahoma (16-1) claimed the early edge in doubles with a win from the No. 2 spot in the lineup.
Announced earlier today as the West Coast Conference Doubles Team of the Week, Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) and Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) got Pepperdine rolling with an 8-5 victory over Dane Webb and Andrew Harris.
Sarkissian and Alcantara earned their league-best third WCC Doubles Team of the Week award after posting a 2-0 record last week.
Including today’s triumph, the Waves’ top doubles duo owns a 14-4 overall record, with four of those victories coming against ranked opponents.
The doubles point came down to the No. 3 match, where David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) and Rakshay Thakkar (Pune, India/St. Vincent’s HS) were battling with Nick Papac and Austin Siegel.
After Sofaer and Thakkar built a 6-3 lead, Papac and Siegel rallied to get back on serve 6-6. Although the Sooners went ahead 40-love while serving in the next game, the Wave pair clawed back and eventually broke to reclaim the lead 7-6.
Thakkar served out the match with a hold at love to send himself and Sofaer to the 8-6 triumph, and clinch the doubles point for Pepperdine (9-10).
The Sooners got back on track in singles, and won four matches in straight sets to take the dual.
Alcantara was the only Pepperdine player to win a set, edging #5 Guillermo Alcorta 6-4 in the opening frame. Sofaer was up a break 5-4 in his second set vs. #35 Harris when action was suspended.
The Waves continue this week’s home stand on Friday, March 21 with a 5 p.m. dual vs. San Francisco. Pepperdine then hosts Friends of Jaclyn Day on Sunday, March 23 in conjunction with its 1 p.m. match against #17 Cal.
Oklahoma vs Pepperdine
Mar 19, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#1 Oklahoma 4, #46 Pepperdine 1
1. #2 Axel Alvarez Llamas (OKU) def. #27 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) 6-3, 6-3
2. Francis Alcantara (PEP) vs. #5 Guillermo Alcorta (OKU) 6-4, 3-4, unfinished
3. #115 David Sofaer (PEP) vs. #35 Andrew Harris (OKU) 3-6, 5-4, unfinished
4. #43 Dane Webb (OKU) def. Stefan Menichella (PEP) 6-0, 6-1
5. Nick Papac (OKU) def. Pedro Leme (PEP) 6-4, 6-2
6. Austin Siegel (OKU) def. Alex Giannini (PEP) 6-1, 6-2
1. #15 Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. #37 Dane Webb/Andew Harris (OKU) 8-5
2. Guillermo Alcorta/Axel Alvarez Llamas (OKU) def. Pedro Leme/Alex Giannini (PEP) 8-2
3. Rakshay Thakkar/David Sofaer (PEP) def. Nick Papac/Austin Siegel (OKU) 8-6
Oklahoma 16-1; National ranking #1
Pepperdine 9-10; National ranking #46
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,6,5,1)