Pepperdine Defeats San Francisco, 6-1
Waves improve to 2-0 in West Coast Conference play after today's win over USF.
March 21, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. - The Pepperdine men's tennis team took a 6-1 decision versus San Francisco on Friday evening at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. The Waves swept the doubles point before winning five of the six singles matches in straight sets.
After falling behind 1-4, Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) and Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) rattled off seven unanswered games to take the match from James Tallman and Germain Bahri and clinch the point for Pepperdine.
In singles, Alcantara and Stefan Menichella (Santa Barbara, Calif./University HS) quickly put away straight-set decisions to lift the Waves to a 3-0 lead.
Alcantara defeated Tallman 6-2, 6-1 while Menichella downed Bahri 6-4, 6-0.
Sofaer followed suit at No. 3, defeating Skajaa 6-2, 6-3 to clinch the dual at 4-0.
In the top match, Sarkissian extended the Waves' lead with a 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Bernardo Saraiva.
After winning the first set 6-3, Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (Kihei, Hawaii/St. Anthony Junior-Senior HS) found himself down 1-5 in the second against Brockstedt. The junior battled back, however, and took a 6-5 lead. Unable to break Brockstedt's serve in the final game, the two faced off in a tiebreaker which Tanaka-Tamaki won 7-4.
USF avoided the sweep with Thomas Takemoto's win at No. 4.
The Waves host Friends of Jaclyn Day, along with #17 Cal, on Sunday, March 23 at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. First serve is set for 1 p.m.
San Francisco vs Pepperdine
Mar 21, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#46 Pepperdine 6, San Francisco 1
1. #27 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Bernardo Saraiva (USF) 6-2, 6-3
2. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. James Tallman (USF) 6-2, 6-1
3. #115 David Sofaer (PEP) def. Nils Skajaa (USF) 6-2, 6-3
4. Thomas Takemoto (USF) def. Pedro Leme (PEP) 7-5, 6-3
5. Stefan Menichella (PEP) def. Germain Bahri (USF) 6-4, 6-0
6. Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (PEP) def. Christian Brockstedt (USF) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
1. #15 Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Germain Bahri/James Tallman (USF) 8-4
2. Pedro Leme/Alex Giannini (PEP) def. Nils Skajaa/Christian Brockstedt (USF) 8-2
3. Rakshay Thakkar/David Sofaer (PEP) vs. Thomas Takemoto/Bernardo Saraiva (USF) 7-4, unfinished
San Francisco 8-8, 0-3 WCC
Pepperdine 10-10, 2-0 WCC; National ranking #46
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,5,3,4,1,6)