Waves' Upset Bid at #5 Texas Falls Just Short
Three members of the #24 Pepperdine men's tennis team defeated nationally ranked competitors in singles, but the visiting Waves fell just short of upsetting #5 Texas, as the Longhorns prevailed 4-3 on Sunday.
Texas won the doubles point, although the 25th-ranked duo of senior Bassam Beidas (Cairo, Egypt) and Alex Llompart (Carolina, Puerto Rico) defeated the nation's #4-ranked squad of Dimitar Kutrovsky and Josh Zavala, 9-8, via a tiebreaker. The Longhorns won the doubles point when the last match also went to a tiebreaker.
Beidas, ranked #40 in singles, posted a dominating 6-1, 6-0 victory over Kutrovsky, ranked #7 nationally, at #1 singles to even up the score. Llompart then crushed 69th-ranked Kellen Damico by the score of 6-3, 6-0, at #3 singles to give the Waves the lead.
But Texas (16-2) won the next three matches to be decided, all at the bottom half of the lineup, to clinch the overall victory.
The Waves (6-9) picked up one more win when freshman Sebastian Fanselow (Essen, Germany), ranked #110, won in a third-set super-tiebreaker over 12th-ranked Ed Corrie at #2 singles. Fanselow is now 7-2 against nationally ranked players this season.
All nine of Pepperdine's losses this season have been to nationally ranked teams, with seven of them coming against opponents ranked in the top 20.
Pepperdine next hosts Illinois on Saturday (March 27) at 1 p.m.
#5 Texas 4, #24 Pepperdine 3
- 1) #25 Bassam Beidas/Alex Llompart (PEP) def. #4 Dimitar Kutrovsky/Josh Zavala (UT), 9-8 (4)
- 2) Ed Corrie/Jean Andersen (UT) def. Hugh Clarke/Finn Tearney (PEP), 9-8 (4)
- 3) Vasko Mladenov/Jon Wiegand (UT) def. Sebastian Fanselow/Alejandro Moreno (PEP), 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
- 1) #40 Bassam Beidas (PEP) def. #7 Dimitar Kutrovsky (UT), 6-1, 6-0
- 2) #110 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. #12 Ed Corrie (UT), 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5)
- 3) Alex Llompart (PEP) def. #69 Kellen Damico (UT), 6-3, 6-0
- 4) Jean Andersen (UT) def. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP), 7-6, 6-3
- 5) #78 Josh Zavala (UT) def. Finn Tearney (PEP), 6-2, 6-3
- 6) Vasko Mladenov (UT) def. Daniel Moss (PEP), 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 3, 5, 4, 6, 2
Records: #24 Pepperdine 6-9, #5 Texas 16-2