Waves Sweep Santa Clara 4-0
Rookies Tom Hill and Pedro Leme win in both singles and doubles to lift Pepperdine to victory.
March 25, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. - The #49-ranked Pepperdine men's tennis team picked up its third West Coast Conference victory of the season with a 4-0 shutout over #57 Santa Clara. The Waves swept the doubles point before David Sofaer, Tom Hill and Pedro Leme put away the dual in singles.
The Waves' No. 1 team of Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) and Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) - up to #10 in the doubles rankings after today's release by the ITA - defeated John Lamble and Ilya Osintsev, 8-4.
Despite falling behind a break and playing catch up for most of the match, Pedro Leme (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Mackenzie Tambore) and Tom Hill (Birmingham, England/K12 International Academy) were able to battle to a 6-6 tie vs. Ashot Khacharyan and Mikheil Khmiadashvilli. With momentum on their side, Leme and Hill rattled off the next two games to win 8-6 and claim the doubles point for the Waves.
In singles, Sofaer cruised to a lopsided 6-1, 6-1 victory over Khmiadashvilli.
Hill quickly followed, downing Jesse Ross in straight-sets, 6-3, 6-1.
It was a race to the finish for both Leme and Sarkissian, who were both close to wrapping up their respective matches at No. 5 and No. 1. Leme would wind up with the clincher, holding off Sam Bertram 6-2, 7-5 to lift Pepperdine to a 4-0 lead.
Sarkissian was up 5-3 in the second vs. Lamble when action was suspended.
Stefan Menichella (Santa Barbara, Calif./University HS) and Alcantara were also battling in their second sets when the dual was clinched.
Pepperdine continues WCC action this week with a road dual at BYU on Saturday at 12 p.m. (PT) Live scores for the contest can be followed here.
Santa Clara vs Pepperdine
Mar 25, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#49 Pepperdine 4, #57 Santa Clara 0
1. #30 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) vs. John Lamble (SCU) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
2. Francis Alcantara (PEP) vs. #124 Ilya Osintsev (SCU) 4-6, 4-2, unfinished
3. David Sofaer (PEP) def. M. Khmiadashvilli (SCU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Stefan Menichella (PEP) vs. Ashot Khacharyan (SCU) 5-7, 0-4, unfinished
5. Pedro Leme (PEP) def. Sam Bertram (SCU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Tom Hill (PEP) def. Jesse Ross (SCU) 6-3, 6-1
1. #10 Francis Alcantara/Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. John Lamble/Ilya Osintsev (SCU) 8-4
2. Tom Hill/Pedro Leme (PEP) def. M. Khmiadashvilli/Ashot Khacharyan (SCU) 8-6
3. Rakshay Thakkar/David Sofaer (PEP) vs. Sam Bertram/Michael Tjuatjadarma (SCU) 7-3, unfinished
Santa Clara 10-4, 2-2 WCC; National ranking #57
Pepperdine 11-11, 3-0 WCC; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,6,5)