Waves Top Portland on Senior Day
Pepperdine seniors Alcantara, Sarkissian and Sofaer go out with a win on Senior Day.
April 5, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. – Seniors Francis Alcantara, Alex Sarkissian and David Sofaer of the Pepperdine men’s tennis team made the most of their Senior Day, all winning in both singles and doubles to lead the Waves to a 6-1 win over Portland.
With the team victory, Pepperdine moves to 14-11 on the season, and a perfect 6-0 West Coast Conference matches. It was just the first loss in league play for the Pilots, who drop to 10-5 overall and 3-1 in the WCC.
The Waves stormed out of the gates, and won the doubles point relatively unchallenged.
Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS), along with junior Rakshay Thakkar (Pune, India/St. Vincent’s HS) put Pepperdine on the board, chalking an 8-2 triumph on court two over Reid DeLaubenfels and Kent Andreasen.
Senior duo Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) and Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC), currently at #10 in the ITA doubles rankings, secured the doubles point with an 8-3 victory over Alex Ferrero and Ratan Gill.
Thakkar was all business in singles, and quickly put away a 6-2, 6-0 decision on court six.
Stefan Menichella (Santa Barbara, Calif./University HS) also made short work of his match, beating Ferrero 6-2, 6-0. It was just Ferrero’s second loss this entire dual season.
Playing at No. 3, Sofaer would provide the clincher for the Waves. The senior downed Gill, 6-2, 6-3.
Portland avoided the sweep courtesy of Justin Guay’s win at No. 5 singles.
Down 3-5 in the first set tiebreaker versus Michel Hu Kwo, Sarkissian scored on a backhand winner followed by back-to-back aces to take set point at 6-5. Another solid cross-court shot pushed beyond the reach of Hu Kwo would put set one away in favor of the Waves’ ace.
Sarkissian went on to win 6-3 in the second and extend Pepperdine’s lead.
The Waves tallied their final point following Alcantara’s hard-fought 7-5, 6-3 triumph over DeLaubenfels at No. 2.
Pepperdine ends the regular season on the road with matches at Pacific (April 11), Saint Mary’s (April 12) and San Diego (April 16).
Portland vs Pepperdine
Apr 05, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#48 Pepperdine 6, Portland 1
1. #30 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. HU KWO, Michel (POR) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
2. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. DeLAUBENFELS, Reid (POR) 7-5, 6-3
3. David Sofaer (PEP) def. GILL, Ratan (POR) 6-2, 6-3
4. Stefan Menichella (PEP) def. FERRERO, Alex (POR) 6-2, 6-0
5. GUAY, Justin (POR) def. Pedro Leme (PEP) 6-4, 6-3
6. Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) def. WALLACE, Alex (POR) 6-2, 6-0
1. #10 Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. GILL, Ratan/FERRERO, Alex (POR) 8-3
2. David Sofaer/Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) def. DeLAUBENFELS, Reid/ANDREASEN, Kent (POR) 8-2
3. Stefan Menichella/Pedro Leme (PEP) vs. HU KWO, Michel/GUAY, Justin (POR) 6-3, unfinished
Portland 10-5, 3-1 WCC
Pepperdine 14-11, 6-0 WCC; National ranking #48
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,4,3,5,1,2)