Waves Hold Off Stanford, 4-3
Sebastian Fanselow and Francis Alcantara's doubles win in the tiebreaker helps lift Waves past Stanford, 4-3.
April 10, 2013
PALO ALTO, Calif. - After an exciting win in doubles, the #7 Pepperdine men's tennis team split in singles versus #41 Stanford to win 4-3. It was a good start for the Waves, who host three more matches in the next five days.
The Cardinal (8-9) chalked the first win of the day in doubles, as Jamin Ball and Daniel Ho snapped Mousheg Hovhannisyan (North Hollywood, Calif./Continental Academy) and David Sofaer's (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) five-match with streak with an 8-5 triumph on court three.
Sebastian Fanselow (Essen, Germany/Kaplan College Prep) and Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) responded, fighting off John Morrissey and Denis Lin, 9-8. The duo won by a narrow 7-5 margin in the tiebreaker to keep Waves alive in doubles.
Finn Tearney (Wellington, New Zealand/Wellington College) and Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) took in home for Pepperdine, topping Maciek Romanowicz and Robert Stineman 8-5 to clinch the doubles point.
The win in doubles proved to be the difference maker, as the Waves and Cardinal split the singles matches.
Stanford took a 2-1 lead after posting wins from the No. 5 and No. 6 positions, but Tearney and Sarkissian tipped the scales back in Pepperdine's favor with straight-set triumphs at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively.
Fanselow secured the dual for the Waves, 4-2, putting his team out of reach with a 6-4, 6-4 decision against Morrissey.
Ho tallied the final point for Stanford, outlasting Alcantara in three sets.
Next up, Pepperdine hosts Saint Mary's on Friday, April 12 at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif. First serve is scheduled for 4 p.m. The Waves return to the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center on Saturday, April 13 to face #38 San Diego and finish the stretch against #2 UCLA on Monday, April 15.
Tennis Match Results
Pepperdine vs Stanford
Apr 10, 2013 at Palo Alto, Calif.
(Taube Tennis Center)
#7 Pepperdine 4, #41 Stanford 3
1. #16 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. #39 John Morrissey (STAN) 6-4, 6-4
2. #88 Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) 6-3, 6-1
3. Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Robert Stineman (STAN) 6-3, 6-4
4. Daniel Ho (STAN) def. #80 Francis Alcantara (PEP) 7-5, 1-6, 7-5
5. Trey Strobel (STAN) def. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) 6-3, 6-4
6. Denis Lin (STAN) def. David Sofaer (PEP) 7-5, 6-1
1. Sebastian Fanselow/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. John Morrissey/Denis Lin (STAN) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Alex Sarkissian/Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Maciek Romanowicz/Robert Stineman (STAN) 8-5
3. Jamin Ball/Daniel Ho (STAN) def. David Sofaer/Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) 8-5
Pepperdine 19-4; National ranking #7
Stanford 8-9; National ranking #41
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,2,1,3,6)