Waves Sweep Gonzaga and ACU on Senior Day
Pepperdine brings a 19-6 record and a 16 match win streak into the final week of the regular season.
April 14, 2012
MALIBU, Calif. – The #8 Pepperdine men’s tennis team celebrated Senior Day with a pair of 7-0 victories at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. The Waves shut out Gonzaga, before sweeping Abilene Christian in the night cap.
Seniors Hugh Clarke (Brisbane, Australia/Brisbane Boys College), Alex Llompart (Carolina, Puerto Rico/San Juan Educational School), Daniel Moss (Malibu, Calif./Malibu HS) and Jenson Turner (Woodland Hills, Calif./Campbell Hall) were recognized in a short ceremony following the doubles contest against the Bulldogs.
Clarke went a perfect 2-0 in doubles and 1-0 in singles. In his first match of the day, he teamed up with David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) to defeat Vladimir Mijatovic and Olivier Jamin 8-1. Clarke delivered a service ace at match point to secure the victory.
Senior duo Moss and Turner took down Muzeen Ismath and Alvaro Nazal 8-3 to clinch the doubles point.
The senior prowess continued in singles action, beginning with Llompart’s 6-0, 6-1 victory against Levin Guillermo (brother of women’s tennis player Lorraine Guillermo).
Clarke defeated Zhia Hwa Chong 6-3, 6-2 in his lone singles appearance of the day, while Turner downed Mijatovic, 6-1, 6-1.
Moss capped the opening dual with a 7-6, 6-3 triumph versus Scott Sullivan.
Against ACU, Clarke paired with Turner to top Borja Cortes and Alfredo Desiati 8-2, while Sofaer and Mousheg Hovhannisyan (North Hollywood, Calif./Continental Academy) posted a score of 8-3 against Guilherme Gesser and Michael Morris.
Seniors Llompart and Moss once again won their respective singles matches in straight sets to end Senior Day on a good note.
Freshman Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (Kihei, Hawaii/St. Anthony Junior-Senior HS) earned his first victory of his collegiate career, coming back from a one set deficit to beat Morris 4-6, 6-4, 11-9.
The Waves conclude the regular season with a dual at BYU on Saturday, April 21.
#8 Pepperdine 7, Gonzaga 0
1. #16 Finn Tearney (PEP) def. NAZAL, Alvaro (GONMT) 6-4, 6-3
2. Alex Llompart (PEP) def. GUILLERMO, Levin (GONMT) 6-0, 6-1
3. #80 Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. JAMIN, Olivier (GONMT) 6-4, 6-1
4. Hugh Clarke (PEP) def. CHONG, Zhia Hwa (GONMT) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jenson Turner (PEP) def. MIJATOVIC, Vladimir (GONMT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Daniel Moss (PEP) def. SULLIVAN, Scott (GONMT) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
1. SULLIVAN, Scott/CHONG, Zhia Hwa (GONMT) def. #4 Finn Tearney/Alex Llompart (PEP) 4-3
2. Hugh Clarke/David Sofaer (PEP) def. JAMIN, Olivier/MIJATOVIC, Vladimir (GONMT) 8-1
3. Jenson Turner/Daniel Moss (PEP) def. NAZAL, Alvaro/ISMATH, Muzeen (GONMT) 8-3
Gonzaga 8-9, 1-4
Pepperdine 18-6, 7-0 WCC; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,5,4,3,1,6)
#8 Pepperdine 7, Abilene Christian 0
1. #16 Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Hans Hach (ACUM) 7-5, 6-1
2. Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Borja Cortes (ACUM) 6-1, 6-1
3. #80 Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Nick Plum (ACUM) 6-2, 6-1
4. David Sofaer (PEP) def. Alfredo Desiati (ACUM) 6-1, 6-7 (4-7), 11-9
5. Daniel Moss (PEP) def. Guilherme Gesser (ACUM) 6-1, 6-2
6. Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (PEP) def. Michael Morris (ACUM) 4-6, 6-4, 11-9
1. Hans Hach/Nick Plum (ACUM) def. #4 Finn Tearney/Alex Llompart (PEP) 8-5
2. Hugh Clarke/Jenson Turner (PEP) def. Borja Cortes/Alfredo Desiati (ACUM) 8-2
3. Mousheg Hovhannisyan/David Sofaer (PEP) def. Guilherme Gesser/Michael Morris (ACUM) 8-3
Abilene Christian 16-8
Pepperdine 19-6, 6-0 WCC; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles ()