Waves Suffer Rare League Loss to USD
Pepperdine will enter WCC Tournament as the No. 2 seed.
April 16, 2014
SAN DIEGO – The #48 Pepperdine men’s tennis team saw its 76 match win streak versus West Coast Conference opponents come to an end today after suffering a rare loss to #43 San Diego. After the Toreros won the doubles point, the Waves were unable to recover in singles and fell 4-2.
Pepperdine ends the regular season with a 16-12 overall record, including a second-place 8-1 mark in the conference. San Diego, 13-7 and 7-0 in the league, has two WCC matches remaining, hosting Gonzaga and Portland this weekend.
The Toreros jumped ahead early after controlling the tempo in doubles to claim the point.
In singles, San Diego extended its lead 3-1 before the Waves nearly pulled off an incredible comeback.
After Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) suffered a straight-set loss to Clarke Spinosa, David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) got Pepperdine on the board with a 6-0, 6-3 triumph over Filip Vittek.
Ciaran Fitzgerald won at No. 5 to make it a 3-1 dual.
Meanwhile, Pedro Leme (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Mackenzie Tambore) extended the dual with a solid 7-2 win in the second set tiebreaker to avoid defeat and send his match to a third frame.
After splitting sets with Uros Petronijevic, Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) owned the deciding stanza with a 6-0 victory to bring the Waves back within one.
Still in search of two more wins to clinch the dual, both Stefan Menichella (Santa Barbara, Calif./University HS) and Leme battled game-for-game in their respective third sets.
Tied 5-5, Andrew Raphaelson was able to make a final push and take the next two games from Leme to win the match in three sets and tally point No. 4 for San Diego.
Menichella was ahead 5-2 in the third when play was halted.
Pepperdine opens postseason action next week Friday, April 25 in the semifinals of the West Coast Conference Tournament. The championships return this season to the Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego.
Pepperdine vs San Diego
Apr 16, 2014 at San Diego, Calif.
(Hogan Tennis Center)
#45 San Diego 4, #48 Pepperdine 2
1. #65 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. #29 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) 6-1, 6-2
2. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Uros Petronijevic (USD) 7-6 (7-3), 1-6, 6-0
3. David Sofaer (PEP) def. Filip Vittek (USD) 6-0, 6-3
4. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) vs. Stefan Menichella (PEP) 4-6, 6-3, 2-5, unfinished
5. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Tom Hill (PEP) 6-2, 6-4
6. Andrew Raphaelson (USD) def. Pedro Leme (PEP) 6-3, 6-7 (2-7), 7-5
1. #53 Clarke Spinosa/Filip Vittek (USD) def. #9 Francis Alcantara/Alex Sarkissian (PEP) 8-4
2. Uros Petronijevic/Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Tom Hill/Pedro Leme (PEP) 8-2
3. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Andrew Raphaelson (USD) vs. Rakshay Thakkar/David Sofaer (PEP) 7-4, unfinished
Pepperdine 16-12, 8-1; National ranking #48
San Diego 13-7, 7-0; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,3,5,2,6)