Men's Tennis Claims West Coast Conference Championship Crown
Waves win 42nd WCC Title since 1958, and the automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament.
April 28, 2012
GULF SHORES, Ala. - The #7-ranked Pepperdine men’s tennis team defeated #25 San Diego, 4-1 in the West Coast Conference Tournament finals. This is the 42nd overall WCC title the Waves have won since 1958.
With the win, the Waves (23-6) earn the coveted automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament, which begins May 11.
Pepperdine struck first, winning two of the three doubles matches to claim the first point.
Sebastian Fanselow (Essen, Germany/Kaplan College Prep) and Jenson Turner (Woodland Hills, Calif./Campbell Hall HS) scored an 8-3 decision against Clarke Spinosa and Victor Pugliese, while Hugh Clarke (Brisbane, Australia/Brisbane Boys College) and David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Learning HS) downed Nikola Bubnic and Ciaran Fitzgerald 8-5.
Action was suspended on court one once the point had been clinched.
Turner, who played in the No. 5 spot in the lineup, defeated Pugliese 6-2, 6-2, while Fanselow topped Bubnic 6-4, 6-2 in the top match.
Although Alex Llompart (Carolina, Puerto Rico/San Juan Educational School) dropped the first frame to Patrick Pohlmann, the senior fired back with 6-3, 6-3 wins in the subsequent sets to clinch the dual victory for the Waves.
The NCAA announces the team bracket on Tuesday, May 1, followed by the singles and doubles championship brackets on Wednesday, May 2.
West Coast Conference Championship Match
#7 Pepperdine 4, #25 San Diego 1
1. #9 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. #51 Nikola Bubnic (USD) 6-4, 6-2
2. #28 Alex Llompart (PEP) def. #93 Patrick Pohlmann (USD) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. #102 Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) 6-1, 6-4
4. Thibaut Visy (USD) vs. Hugh Clarke (PEP) unfinished
5. Jenson Turner (PEP) def. Victor Pugliese (USD) 6-2, 6-2
6. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) vs. David Sofaer (PEP) unfinished
1. Patrick Pohlmann/Thibaut Visy (USD) vs. #15 Finn Tearney/Alex Llompart (PEP) unfinished
2. Sebastian Fanselow/Jenson Turner (PEP) def. Clarke Spinosa/Victor Pugliese (USD) 8-3
3. Hugh Clarke/David Sofaer (PEP) def. Nikola Bubnic/Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) 8-5
Pepperdine 23-6; National ranking #7
San Diego 17-8; National ranking #25