Pepperdine Defeats Green Bay, Plays Washington on Saturday
Waves set a new program record, winning 21 matches in a row.
May 11, 2012
MALIBU, Calif. – The Pepperdine men’s tennis team defeated Green Bay in the opening match of the NCAA Championship on Friday afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. With the win, the Waves not only advance to the second round, but they also set a program record with 21 consecutive wins.
The previous record was set in 1985 when Pepperdine strung together 20 victories in a row.
Pepperdine, 24-6 overall, will face Washington (17-8) at noon on Saturday, May 12. The Huskies defeated North Carolina State, 4-1 to move to the second round.
The Waves were dominant in doubles play to open the afternoon. Alex Llompart (Carolina, Puerto Rico/San Juan Educational School) and Finn Tearney (Wellington, New Zealand/Wellington College) allowed just one game in an 8-1 rout versus Erik Finkenbrink and Craig Cox.
Hugh Clarke (Brisbane, Australia/Brisbane Boys College) and David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) topped Felix Goepper and Henning Jess, 8-3, to extend their win streak to 16.
Pepperdine continued to control the match in singles, winning the first set on five of the six courts.
Turner turned in a 6-0, 6-2 decision from the No. 5 spot in the lineup to put the Waves up 2-0.
Fanselow and Llompart finished nearly simultaneously, sealing the victory. Fanselow downed Paul Swanson, 6-3, 6-1, while Llompart defeated Michael Tenzer 6-2, 6-3.
The Phoenix concludes the season with a 19-7 record after winning the program’s first Horizon League Championship and making their first NCAA Tournament appearance.
Live scores for tomorrow’s match versus Washington can be found here. Although the Waves defeated the Huskies 7-0 during the regular season, it was an extremely close match. Four of the six singles matches were decided in three sets.
#7 Pepperdine 4, Green Bay 0
1. #8 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. Paul Swanson (GB) 6-3, 6-1
2. Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Michael Tenzer (GB) 6-2, 6-3
3. #105 Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) vs. Erik Finkenbrink (GB) 7-6 (7-4), 3-3, unfinished
4. Hugh Clarke (PEP) vs. Craig Cox (GB) 6-2, 4-2, unfinished
5. Jenson Turner (PEP) def. Felix Goepper (GB) 6-0, 6-2
6. Daniel Moss (PEP) vs. Christoph Hopfe (GB) 1-6, 5-4, unfinished
1. #15 Alex Llompart/Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Erik Finkenbrink/Craig Cox (GB) 8-1
2. Jenson Turner/Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) vs. Michael Tebon/Michael Tenzer (GB) 6-2, unfinished
3. Hugh Clarke/David Sofaer (PEP) def. Felix Goepper/Henning Jess (GB) 8-3
Green Bay 19-7
Pepperdine 24-6; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,1,2)