No. 1 Pepperdine Finishes Strong to Sweep No. 2 BYU

Feb. 4, 2006

Final Stats

MALIBU, Calif. - The top-ranked Pepperdine men's volleyball team rebounded from its first loss of the season to sweep second-ranked BYU (30-28, 30-28, 32-30) Saturday night in a showcase Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) tilt in Provo, Utah.

As was the case in games two and three of tonight's match, Pepperdine (6-1, 6-1 MPSF) would stage a late run to erase a BYU (8-2, 6-2 MPSF) lead in the third, and final, game of the Waves four-match road swing. Pepperdine would fight off four Cougar game points as the Waves mounted a comeback from down 29-26. A Service error by Ivan Perez put Tom Hulse on the service line for Pepperdine. John Parfitt would make true with the Waves trailing 29-27 forcing BYU into a timeout leading 29-28. Out of the break, a Russell Holmes attack error locked the game at 29-all. Yosleyder Cala would notch the next point for BYU before a kill from Pepperdine's Andy Hein evened the score at 30-30. Again the Cougars went to Cala who was stuffed by Jonathan Winder and Hein giving the Waves their first swing for the match. BYU would give the ball to Cala one final time but Winder, Hein and Parfitt rejected the attempt, completing the sweep.

Pepperdine held a slim .279-.274 edge in hitting percentage despite being outhit in games one and two but held a commanding 13.5-5.5 advantage in blocks.

Parfitt led the Waves with 12 kills and combined with Hein's 10 were the only two double-digit kill totals for Pepperdine. Tanner Sutherland chipped in with nine and Jon Grobe and Paul Carroll each had seven for the Waves who reclaim the lead in the conference race.

Cala led all players with 20 kills on 40 swings and Holmes chipped in with 10 as the Cougars held a 56-51 lead in total kills but committed 24 errors to the Waves' 20.

The Waves would fall behind 10-8 off a pair of BYU kills during the early stages of game two. The Cougars would build the lead to three moments later as Charette and Cala recorded consecutive kills, prompting Marv Dunphy to call for a timeout in an effort to regroup his team. Three consecutive kills from Grobe out of the stoppage locked the game at 14-all. After a pair of Pepperdine miscues, the Cougars held a two-point edge. But three consecutive BYU errors gave the Waves their first lead of the frame, 17-16. Both teams traded sideouts to a 19-18 Pepperdine lead before an 8-0 BYU run seemed to put the game out of reach.

The Waves refused to give in to the home team and stormed back with a 5-0 run to cut the deficit to 26-24. A Taylor Evans kill stopped the Pepperdine run. Back-to-back kills from Parfitt and Sutherland closed the gap to just one, 27-26 before Cala extended the BYU lead to two, 28-26. A kill from Winder followed as did a kill by Sutherland as the Waves evened the game at 28-28. On the ensuing play, Batista was solo blocked by Hulse giving Pepperdine game-point. It would be the only try the Waves would need as again Batista was triple blocked by Pepperdine as the Waves took a 2-0 lead in the contest.

In the opening stanza, Pepperdine erased a 22-20 disadvantage with a 5-1 run which put the Waves up by one, 24-23. With the score tied at 25, a BYU service error and attack error gave Pepperdine the two-point cushion it would need as the teams traded sideouts the rest of the way.

Pepperdine will return to action on Thursday night when they host Hawaii at 7 p.m. (PT) in Malibu, Calif.



Pepperdine Waves
Official online store