Wieczorek Added to USA Volleyball Men's Preliminary Roster
Wieczorek is one of three on the roster that still have another season of collegiate volleyball to play.
MALIBU, Calif. - David Wieczorek of the Pepperdine men's volleyball team was one of 26 to earn a spot on the U.S. Men's National Team roster for the inaugural 2018 FIVB Volleyball Nations League (VNL), as announced by Team USA on Monday afternoon.
The roster will be cut to 21 by May 15. Coaches can choose the 14-man travel team each weekend from the pool of 21. This is the first year of the VNL, which will include 12 core teams and four challenger teams battling for five weekends in a round robin format. The top-five teams and the host country of France will compete in the Final Rounds on July 4-8 in Lille, France.
On the court, Wieczorek was a 2018 AVCA All-American second team honoree and MPSF Player of the Year. He led the team with 4.00 kills/set on a .349 success rate, while adding a team-high 42 aces for 0.59 aces/set. He finished the season ranked 3rd nationally in aces/set and with 4.99 points/set, 4th in kills/set, 14th with 8.20 attacks/set and 17th in hitting percentage.
Other men on the USA roster include nine Olympians returning including opposite Matt Anderson, outside hitters Taylor Sander, Aaron Russell and Thomas Jaeschke, setters Micah Christenson and Kawika Shoji, middle blockers Max Holt and David Smith and libero Erik Shoji.
Three players including Wieczorek have another year of college volleyball to play. The other two athletes include Long Beach State's T.J. DeFalco and Kyle Ensing. Full roster below.
The U.S. Men are ranked No. 2 in the world and will host the VNL on June 15-17 at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, Ill. The team will play Serbia on June 15, Poland on June 16 and Iran on June 17. Three players on the preliminary roster are from the Chicago area: Jaeschke and Jeff Jendryke are from Wheaton, Ill., while Wieczorek is from Chicago.
Follow the Waves on Facebook and Twitter, @PeppVolleyball, and follow the team on Instagram, @PepperdineWaves. Get all the most recent schedules, results and more on www.PepperdineWaves.com.
2018 FIVB Volleyball Nations League
- Matt Anderson(Opp, 6-9, West Seneca, N.Y., Penn State)
- Aaron Russell (OH, 6-9, Ellicott City, Md., Penn State)
- Taylor Sander (OH, 6-4, Huntington Beach, Calif., BYU)
- Jeff Jendryk (MB, 6-10, Wheaton, Ill., Loyola of Chicago)
- James Shaw (S, 6-8, Woodside, Calif., Stanford)
- Mitch Stahl (MB, 6-8, Chambersburg, Pa., UCLA)
- Kawika Shoji (S, 6-3, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
- T.J. DeFalco (OH, 6-5, Huntington Beach, Calif., Long Beach State)
- Carson Clark (Opp, 6-6, Santa Barbara, Calif., UC Irvine)
- Dan McDonnell (MB, 6-6, Phoenix, Ariz., UC Irvine)
- Micah Christenson (S, 6-6, Honolulu, Southern California)
- Max Holt (MB, 6-10, Cincinnati, Ohio, Penn State)
- Ben Patch (Opp, 6-8, Provo, Utah, BYU)
- David Wieczorek (Opp, 6-8, Chicago, Ill., Pepperdine)
- Brenden Sander (OH, 6-4, Huntington Beach, Calif., BYU)
- Jayson Jablonsky (OH, 6-6, Yorba Linda, Calif., UC Irvine)
- Thomas Jaeschke (OH, 6-6, Wheaton, Ill., Loyola)
- Jake Langlois (OH, 6-10, San Jose, Calif., BYU)
- Taylor Averill (MB, 6-7, San Jose, Calif., Hawaii)
- David Smith (MB, 6-7, Saugus, Calif., UC Irvine)
- Dustin Watten (L, 6-0, Long Beach, Calif., Long Beach State)
- Erik Shoji (L, 6-0, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
- Jonah Seif (S, 6-6, Thousand Oaks, Calif., UC Santa Barbara)
- Michael Brinkley (L, 5-10, Huntington Beach, Calif., UC Irvine)
- Miles Johnson (Opp, 6-6, Carlsbad, Calif., Ohio State)
- Kyle Ensing (Opp, 6-7, Valencia, Calif., Long Beach State)
May 25-27: China, Bulgaria, Argentina in China
June 1-3: Brazil, Japan Korea in Brazil
June 8-10: Canada, Germany, Australia in Canada
June 15-17: Serbia, Poland, Iran - TICKETS in Hoffman Estates, Ill.
June 22-24: Italy, Russia, France in Italy