Waves' Alum Carmody Earns Spot on USA World Roster
Carmody led the nation in blocks for 13-consecutive weeks in his 2016 senior campaign.
MALIBU, Calif.: – The U.S. Men’s National Team preliminary roster for the FIVB World League was released in early May and Pepperdine men’s volleyball alum Tommy Carmody earned a spot as a middle blocker.
This is the first time Carmody (Orland Park, Ill./Carl Sandburg HS/Pacific/Pepperdine) and earned a spot on the World League preliminary roster. Other Mountain Pacific Sports Federation with spots on the roster include BYU’s Taylor Sander, Jake Langlois and Ben Patch; Stanford’s James Shaw, Kawika Shoji and Erik Shoji; USC’s Micah Christenson; UC Irvine’s Carson Clark, Dan McDonnell, Jayson Jablonsky and David Smith; UCLA’s Garrett Muagututia; Hawai’i’s Taylor Averill; and Long Beach State’s TJ DeFalco and Dustin Watten. Two alums of Loyola Chicago have also made the list.
The schedule includes trip to Novi Sad, Serbia; Pau, France; Katowice, Poland; Lodz, Poland; and Curitiba, Brazil from June 2 through July 8.
While at Pepperdine, Carmody earned AVCA All-America honorable mention and was named Off the Block National Blocker of the Year twice, once for Pepperdine in 2016 and once while playing for Pacific in 2014. He was a two-time All-MPSF second team selection in 2016 and 2014. He led the nation in total blocks and blocks/set through 13 weeks of competition and finished his 2016 senior campaign ranked No. 2 nationally in blocks. He played in 69 sets and started in 19-of-19 matches, only missing five matches due to a small injury in the middle of the season.
He averaged 1.45 blocks/set, 1.58 kills/set, 2.49 points/set, 0.17 digs/set and 0.12 aces/set for the Waves. Through 69 sets, he amassed 109 kills with only 36 errors on 207 attempts for a .353 hitting output. He also tabbed 100 total blocks, including nine solo rejections and totaled eight aces, 12 digs and ended the season with 171.5 total points.
Follow Pepperdine @PeppVolleyball on Twitter and Facebook for immediate updates and head to PepperdineWaves.com for recaps, results and more.
2017 FIVB World League
U.S. Men’s Preliminary Roster
1. Tommy Carmody (MB, 6-9, Orland Park, Ill., Pacific/Pepperdine)
3. Taylor Sander (OH, 6-4, Huntington Beach, Calif., BYU)
4. Jeff Jendryk (MB, 6-10, Wheaton, Ill., Loyola of Chicago)
5. James Shaw (S, 6-8, Woodside, Calif., Stanford)
7C. Kawika Shoji (S, 6-3, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
9. Jake Langlois (OH, 6-10, San Jose, Calif., BYU)
10. Thomas Jaeschke (OH, 6-6, Wheaton, Ill., Loyola of Chicago)
11. Micah Christenson (S, 6-6, Honolulu, Southern California)
13. Dan McDonnell (MB, 6-6, Glendale, Ariz., UC Irvine)
14. Ben Patch (Opp, 6-8, Provo, Utah, BYU)
15. Carson Clark (Opp, 6-6, Santa Barbara, Calif., UC Irvine)
16. Jayson Jablonsky (OH, 6-5, Yorba Linda, Calif., UC Irvine)
17. TJ DeFalco (OH, 6-5, Huntington Beach, Calif., Long Beach State)
18. Garrett Muagututia (OH, 6-5, Oceanside, Calif., UCLA)
19. Taylor Averill (MB, 6-7, San Jose, Calif., Hawaii)
20. David Smith (MB, 6-7, Saugus, Calif., UC Irvine)
21. Dustin Watten (L, 6-0, Long Beach, Calif., Long Beach State)
22. Erik Shoji (L, 6-0, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
Head Coach: John Speraw
Team Leader: Anton Brams
Assistant Coaches: Matt Fuerbringer and Mike Wall
Sports Psychologist: Andrea Becker
Technical Coordinator: Nate Ngo
Athletic Trainer: Aaron Brock
U.S. Men’s World League Schedule
June 2: USA v Serbia at Novi Sad, Serbia
June 3: USA v Egypt at Novi Sad, Serbia
June 4: USA v Belgium at Novi Sad, Serbia
June 9: USA v Italy at Pau, France
June 10: USA v Russia at Pau, France
June 11: USA v France at Pau, France
June 15: USA v Iran at Katowice, Poland
June 17: USA v Russia at Lodz, Poland
June 18: USA v Poland at Lodz, Poland
July 4-8: Final Round in Curitiba, Brazil (top five teams qualify plus Brazil as host)