Fourth-Quarter Charge Leads Waves Past Toreros
Pepperdine plays three of its next four games on the road.
MALIBU, Calif. – Yasmine Robinson-Bacote and Sydney Bordonaro each scored 10 points in the final period, leading the Waves on a fourth-quarter comeback to beat the San Diego Toreros 66-62 in a West Coast Conference matchup on Saturday.
Pepperdine starts the WCC season 2-0 for the first time since 2012 and moves its overall record to 6-6 with the victory. San Diego falls to 8-5 overall and 1-1 WCC. The Waves have now won three straight against the perennially tough Toreros after sweeping the season series last year.
Robinson-Bacote and Bordonaro led the Waves back from a four-point deficit, outscoring San Diego 20-16 on their own to help Pepperdine get the win. Robinson-Bacote picked up her second straight and sixth overall double-double in the game.
• Bordonaro scored 10 of her 13 points in the fourth quarter and went 3-for-6 from beyond the arc.
• Barbara Sitanggan led all players with seven assists in the game and had two steals.
• San Diego won the rebounding battle 45-37 overall, but Pepperdine out-rebounded the Toreros 11-7 in the final quarter.
• Pepperdine had 33 points off the bench and San Diego had 31.
• The Waves and Toreros traded the lead seven times and were tied four times
• 10 different Waves scored in the game for the fourth time this season.
The Waves took a narrow 30-27 lead into the half, but were outscored 19-12 in the third quarter to fall behind by as much as six. A Peyton Langston jumper just before the buzzer made it a 46-42 game heading to the fourth.
In the final quarter, Pepperdine again trailed by as much as six, but got a three from Bordonaro and two layups from Robinson-Bacote to go on a 7-2 run and cut it to a one-point game nearing the five-minute mark. With 3:53 to play, Robinson-Bacote completed a three-point play to give the Waves a 59-58 lead.
After trading baskets and the lead, Robinson-Bacote knocked down a jumper with 18 seconds to play that would put Pepperdine ahead for good. San Diego got a quick basket and put Bordonaro on the line, but she would hit both free throws with eight seconds to go. The Toreros got off a three in the final seconds, but it went long and Robinson-Bacote came up with the rebound. She would hit a free throw to seal the win with less than a second left.
Pepperdine hits the road for two more WCC games next week, traveling to Gonzaga on Thursday and then San Francisco on Saturday.