Women's Basketball: Waves Host San Francisco; Travel to BYU
Pepperdine Looks for First WCC Victory of the Season vs. Dons and Cougars
Jan. 8, 2013
GAME NOTES | BASKETBALL ALMANAC | LMU RECAP | VIDEO PREVIEW
THIS WEEK FOR THE WAVES: Pepperdine welcomes San Francisco to Malibu Thursday, January 10 for the 2013 West Coast Conference home opener and then travels to Provo to tack on Brigham Young in a Saturday matinee at the Marriott Center. The Waves seek their first victory of 2013, but must do so against a pair of tough opponents.
COVERAGE: Fans unable to make it to Firestone Fieldhouse or to Utah, can check out the games streamed live online via WaveCasts. Links for WaveCasts and live stats will be available at the official cyberspace home for Pepperdine Athletics, PepperdineSports.com. Nick Law will have the call for the Waves against the Dons and at BYU.
LIFTING THE LID ON WCC PLAY
- Before falling at Loyola Marymount to open 2013, Waves had won four straight league debuts including home wins vs. Lions to start 2009 (67-66, OT) and 2010 (82-65) seasons
- Pepperdine owns a 16-12 record in West Coast Conference openers
- Waves are now 6-9 on the road in WCC openers and 10-3 at home
- Pepperdine has lost back-to-back home openers - both coming against Gonzaga
FIRST IMPRESSIONS: 2012-13 BULLETS
- After 12 games, Waves rank second in the WCC in 3-point field goal percentage (.353) and lead the league in 3-point defense (.258).
- Pepperdine ranks third in the league at the charity stripe connecting on .723 (133-184).
- In 12 games, the Waves have scored 186 points (15.5 ppg) off turnovers.
- Pepperdine has received plenty of scoring from its bench as Wave reserves average 20.9 points per game off the pine. Pepperdine owns a 251-203 advantage in bench scoring, including a 33-3 margin at Washington (11/27/12).
- Shay Cooney-Williams had 18 assists last season in 29 games. This season the senior guard has 40 in 12 contests.
- Ea Shoushtari eclipsed her 2011-12 point tally (22) in just two games, averaging 12.5 ppg. The sophomore played in 28 2011-12 games.
- Jade McNorton surpassed her 2011-12 scoring output (46) in just seven games after playing in 28 contests with 11 starts as a sophomore.
WAVES AND DONS
- Pepperdine is set to take on San Francisco for the 65th time in program history Thursday in Firestone.
- The Waves own a three- game winning streak against the Dons and have won 8 of the last 10 meetings overall.
- Since 2000, Pepperdine owns a 16-10 lead in the series.
- The Waves are 17-11 all-time at Firestone Fieldhouse against the Dons and have not lost to USF in Malibu since a 64-60 loss (2/8/07).
- Pepperdine swept the 2011-12 season series with a 85-69 triumph at War Memorial Gym (12/29/11) and a 77-64 victory in Firestone (1/19/12).
- The Waves took the first ever meeting between the two schools with a 58-51 victory in the 1978 AIAW West Regional in Palo Ato
GAME 13 - VS. USF: Thursday (Jan. 10) at Firestone Fieldhouse, Malibu, Calif.: Pepperdine (3-9, 0-1 WCC) vs. USF (7-8, 0-2 WCC) at 7:00 p.m. (PT)
LAST MEETINGS: at PEP 77, USF 64 (1/19/12); PEP 85, at USF 69 (12/29/11); at PEP 72, USF 56 (2/24/11); at USF 66, PEP 46 (1/29/11)
SERIES RECORD/STREAK: Pepperdine leads 33-31/Waves won three.
ON THE AIR/ON THE WEB:
Internet Video: Yes - PepperdineSports.com (WaveCasts)
GameTracker: Yes - PepperdineSports.com
Opponent Website: USFDons.com
- Dons jumped out to a 7-4 start before losing last four straight games by an average of 16.8 ppg.
- Mel Khlok leads the way offensively for USF, averaging 15.9 ppg, 3.5 rpg
- The seven wins so far in 2012-13 are the most for the program since posting a 7-22 slate in 2008-09
WAVES AND COUGARS
- Pepperdine is set to take on Brigham Young for the sixth time in program history Saturday afternoon in Provo.
- Both teams own a 2-0 record on their home floor.
- In its first year as a member of the West Coast Conference, BYU took a 80-56 victory in Provo (1/12/12), but the Waves dispatched the No. 22 Cougars 61-49 in the Malibu rematch (2/2/12). Kelsey Patrick scored 13 points with six rebounds to fuel the upset.
- Pepperdine won the inaugural meeting with a 67-66 victory in Firestone Fieldhouse (12/29/79).
GAME 14 - AT BYU: Saturday (Jan. 12) at Marriott Center, Provo, Utah.: Pepperdine (3-9, 0-1 WCC) vs. BYU (10-4, 1-0 WCC) at 1:00 p.m. (PT)
LAST MEETINGS: at PEP 61, No. 22 BYU 49 (2/2/12); at BYU 80, PEP 56 (1/12/12)
SERIES RECORD/STREAK: BYU leads 3-2/Waves won one.
ON THE AIR/ON THE WEB:
Internet Audio: Yes - PepperdineSports.com (WaveCasts)
Live Stats: Yes - PepperdineSports.com
Opponent Website: BYUCougars.com
- Cougars are streaking and have won last seven straight games and have not lost since an overtime loss at Creighton (11/28/12).
- Lexi Eaton leads three BYU players in double-digit scoring at 15.6 points and 4.0 rebounds per game
- The Cougars opened conference play with a 22-point win at San Francisco on Saturday, 80-58.
- BYU shoots .425 from the floor; .724 from the foul line
LMU RECAP: Pepperdine opened the 2013 West Coast Conference season with a 65-47 loss at Loyola Marymount.
- Pepperdine struggled offensively, making just .294 (15-51) from the field and managed just five field goals in the second half.
- The Waves shot .438 (7-16) from 3-point range, but hit just 1-5 in the second half.
- LMU out-rebounded Pepperdine 47-32 and held a 30-6 advantage in paint scoring.
- Jade McNorton recorded her first collegiate double-double with a 13-point, 11-rebound night vs. Seattle U. (12/14/12).
- Robie Mayberry turned in her first collegiate double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds against South Dakota (11/23/12). The 10 rebounds were a career-high.
- Shay Cooney-Williams (Frisco, Texas/Frisco HS) turned in the first double-double of her Pepperdine career with a 14-point, 10-rebound effort at USC (11/18/12).
UP NEXT FOR THE WAVES: After taking on the Dons and the Cougars, Pepperdine will host Santa Clara Thursday, Jan. 17 and then will take on Bay Area foe Saint Mary’s in a Saturday matinee in Moraga.
FOLLOW AND LIKE WAVES WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Be sure and join Pepperdine’s growing communities on Facebook and Twitter. Follow and like the Waves today. Facebook: Pepperdine Women’s Basketball Twitter: @PEPPWBKB
GETTING IT STARTED IN STYLE: Since game-by-game records started being kept prior to the 1976-77 campaign, Pepperdine owns a 22-15 record in season openers. After upending UC Davis 83-68 on the road, the Waves have won five of their last six season debuts. The only blemish was a 89-57 decision at perennial national power Tennessee to kick off the 2011-12 campaign.
POLL PROGNOSTICATIONS: Pepperdine was picked to finish fifth in the 2012-13 West Coast Conference Coaches Poll. The Waves did not have a selection on the preseason all-WCC team.
ABOUT PEPPERDINE UNIVERSITY: Pepperdine boasts a one-of-a-kind athletic department with unprecedented success for a school of its size. The Waves have won NCAA Division I championships in five different men’s sports -- one of just 16 schools to have accomplished this feat -- and nine overall. Of this elite group, Pepperdine has the smallest enrollment and is the only school not associated with a BCS conference. Located in scenic Malibu, Calif., the university overlooks the Pacific Ocean and its campus and athletic facilities are regularly voted among the nation’s most beautiful. Pepperdine, which is affiliated with the Church of Christ, ranks No. 54 overall on U.S. News and World Report’s list of America’s best colleges.