Waves Close Out 2012-13 Regular Season at San Francisco; vs. Saint Mary's
Pepperdine Looks For Positive Finish vs. Dons and Gaels
Feb. 27, 2013
THIS WEEK FOR THE WAVES: Pepperdine wraps up its 2012-13 regular season when it travels to the Bay Area to take on San Francisco Thursday, Feb. 28 and returns home for the finale against Saint Mary’s in a Saturday matinee at Firestone Fieldhouse March 2.
COVERAGE: Week eight of West Coast Conference play will be streamed live online via WaveCasts. Links for WaveCasts and live stats will be available at PepperdineSports.com.
WEST COAST CONFERENCE IMPRESSIONS
- Seniors Kelsey Patrick (9.1) and Shay Cooney-Williams (8.5) lead Pepperdine in scoring.
- Two senior Waves account for .350 of team’s total scoring load during WCC action.
- Pepperdine won its first WCC home opener since 2010 with a 71-67 triumph vs. USF (1/10/13).
- Waves struggling to score this season, especially during league play, managing a WCC-low 50.2 points per game in 2013.
WAVES WATCH: 2012-13 BULLETS
- After 25 games, Pepperdine ranks fourth in the WCC in 3-point field goal percentage (.316) and 3-point field goal percentage defense (.316).
- In 25 games, the Waves have scored 357 points (14.3 ppg) off turnovers.
- Pepperdine has received plenty of scoring from its bench as Wave reserves average 19.3 points per game off the pine. Pepperdine owns a 483-446 advantage in bench scoring, including a 33-3 margin at Washington (11/27/12).
- Shay Cooney-Williams had 18 assists last season in 29 games. This season the senior guard has 26 in 25 contests.
- Ea Shoushtari leads the Waves in the last four games, averaging 9.5 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.0 assists and 2.5 steals.
WAVES AND DONS
- Pepperdine is set to take on San Francisco for the 66th time in program history Thursday in San Francisco.
- The Waves own a four- game winning streak against the Dons and have won 9 of the last 11 meetings overall.
- Since 2000, Pepperdine owns a 17-10 lead in the series.
- The Waves are 13-16 all-time at War Memorial Gym against the Dons.
- Pepperdine swept the 2011-12 season series with a 85-69 triumph at War Memorial Gym (12/29/11) and a 77-64 victory in Firestone (1/19/12).
- The Waves took the first ever meeting between the two schools with a 58-51 victory in the 1978 AIAW West Regional in Palo Alto
LAST MEETINGS: at PEP 71, USF 67 (1/10/13); at PEP 77, USF 64 (1/19/12); PEP 85, at USF 69 (12/29/11); at PEP 72, USF 56 (2/24/11); at USF 66, PEP 46 (1/29/11)
SERIES RECORD/STREAK: Pepperdine leads 34-31/Waves won four.
ON THE AIR/ON THE WEB:
Internet Audio: Yes - PepperdineSports.com (WaveCasts)
Live Stats: Yes - PepperdineSports.com
Opponent Website: USFDons.com
- Dons jumped out to a 7-4 start, but have won just three of their last 16.
- Mel Khlok, the WCC Player of the Month for January, leads the way offensively for USF, averaging 15.0 ppg, 4.2 rpg and 3.4 assists
- The 10 wins so far in 2012-13 are the most for the program since posting a 14-16 slate in 2007-08.
WAVES AND GAELS
- Pepperdine is set to take on Saint Mary’s for the 60th time in program history Saturday afternoon in Firestone Fieldhouse in a series dating back to the 1987-88 season.
- The Waves have lost four straight and eight of their last 11 vs. Saint Mary’s.
- Pepperdine lost the first matchup of the regular season at SMC in a 72-61 loss (1/19/13) in McKeon Pavilion.
- The Waves are 16-9 all-time at Firestone Fieldhouse against the Gaels, with their last win coming in a 69-48 home triumph (2/3/11).
- The Gaels and Waves have met eight times in WCC Tournament play and Pepperdine owns a 5-3 lead.
- The Waves took the first ever meeting between the two schools with a 62-61 victory in Moraga (1/14/88).
GAME 27 - VS. SMC: Saturday (March 2) at Firestone Fieldhouse, Malibu, Calif.: Saint Mary’s (18-8, 10-4 WCC) at Pepperdine 2:00 p.m.
LAST MEETINGS: at SMC 72, PEP 61 (1/19/13); SMC 67, vs. PEP 63 (3/2/12 - WCC); SMC 63, at PEP 60 (2/25/12); at SMC 56, PEP 43 (1/21/12)
SERIES RECORD/STREAK: SMC leads 31-28/Gaels won four.
BEFORE PEPPERDINE: Santa Clara at SMC (2/28/13)
ON THE AIR/ON THE WEB:
Internet Video: Yes - PepperdineSports.com (WaveCasts)
Live Stats: Yes - PepperdineSports.com
Opponent Website: SMCGaels.com
- Saint Mary’s is 8-5 on the road; 4-3 during WCC play in 2012-13.
- Jackie Nared leads three SMC players in double-digit scoring at 17.0 points and 9.0 rebounds per game
- The Gaels lead the league in rebounds (43.4) and free throw percentage (.721).
WCC WEEK SEVEN RECAP: Pepperdine battled but suffered a weekend sweep vs. Loyola Marymount and at Santa Clara.
- Pepperdine seized a 32-24 halftime lead vs. LMU in a Wells Fargo PCH Cup battle, but could not sustain it.
- Shay Cooney-Williams led the Waves vs. LMU (13 points) and Ea Shoushtari was top producer at Santa Clara (11 points).
- LMU went 22-30 from the stripe (.733) and Pepperdine shot just eight free throws.
EARLY RETURN(ERS): Pepperdine returns just .275 of its scoring offense from the 2011-12 season. The Waves returners have stepped up offensively.
- After 25 games, eight Waves have already eclipsed their 2011-12 scoring output - Grace Leah Baughn (52-8), Shay Cooney-Williams (236-139), Tessa Emerson (90/21), Kelsey Patrick (189-153), Jade McNorton (94-46), Robie Mayberry (95-75), Bria Richardson (89-14) and Ea Shoushtari (145-22).
- Returning Waves account for .749 of the total offense so far (1012 points), averaging 40.5 points per game.
Four Waves recorded their first career double-double in 2012-13
- Kelsey Patrick with 18 points and 11 rebounds at Saint Mary’s (1/22/13).
- Jade McNorton with a 13-point, 11-rebound night vs. Seattle U. (12/14/12).
- Robie Mayberry with 14 points and 10 rebounds against South Dakota (11/23/12)
- Shay Cooney-Williams with a 14-point, 10-rebound effort at USC (11/18/12).
UP NEXT FOR THE WAVES: Pepperdine is set to compete in the 2013 West Coast Conference Championships beginning Wednesday, March 6 at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.
FOLLOW AND LIKE WAVES WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Be sure and join Pepperdine’s growing communities on Facebook and Twitter. Follow and like the Waves today. Facebook: Pepperdine Women’s Basketball Twitter: @PEPPWBKB
GETTING IT STARTED IN STYLE: Since game-by-game records started being kept prior to the 1976-77 campaign, Pepperdine owns a 22-15 record in season openers. After upending UC Davis 83-68 on the road, the Waves have won five of their last six season debuts. The only blemish was a 89-57 decision at perennial national power Tennessee to kick off the 2011-12 campaign.
POLL PROGNOSTICATIONS: Pepperdine was picked to finish fifth in the 2012-13 West Coast Conference Coaches Poll. The Waves did not have a selection on the preseason all-WCC team.
ABOUT PEPPERDINE UNIVERSITY: Pepperdine boasts a one-of-a-kind athletic department with unprecedented success for a school of its size. The Waves have won NCAA Division I championships in five different men’s sports -- one of just 16 schools to have accomplished this feat -- and nine overall. Of this elite group, Pepperdine has the smallest enrollment and is the only school not associated with a BCS conference. Located in scenic Malibu, Calif., the university overlooks the Pacific Ocean and its campus and athletic facilities are regularly voted among the nation’s most beautiful. Pepperdine, which is affiliated with the Church of Christ, ranks No. 54 overall on U.S. News and World Report’s list of America’s best colleges.