Women's Basketball: Pepperdine Hosts Howard Friday Afternoon
Waves Take on Lady Bison in Final Game Before Christmas
Dec. 20, 2012
THIS WEEK FOR THE WAVES: Pepperdine plays its final game before breaking for the Christmas holiday when it welcomes Howard to Firestone Fieldhouse for a matinee Friday, December 21. Tip-off against the Lady Bison is set for 1:00 p.m. in a game streamed live via WaveCast.
PEPPERDINE TOY DRIVE: Pepperdine basketball fans are encouraged to bring an unwrapped toy to Friday’s game against Howard. Those who participate will receive free admission.
COVERAGE: Fans unable to make it to Firestone Fieldhouse can check out the game streamed live online via WaveCasts. Links for WaveCasts and live stats will be available at the official cyberspace home for Pepperdine Athletics, PepperdineSports.com. Cody Voga will have the call for the Waves and Lady Bison.
FIRST IMPRESSIONS: 2012-13 BULLETS
- After nine games, Waves are averaging 8.4 steals per game and have forced 20.2 turnovers per contest.
- Pepperdine dished 20 assists in its season-opening 83-68 win at UC Davis (11/9/12).
- In nine games, Pepperdine has scored 160 points (17.7 ppg) off turnovers.
- The Waves are getting it done at the free throw line, converting on .729 (102-140) from the stripe as a team, third in the WCC.
- Pepperdine has received plenty of scoring from its bench as Wave reserves average 23.4 points per game off the pine. Pepperdine owns a 211-141 advantage in bench scoring, including a 33-3 margin at Washington (11/27/12).
- Robie Mayberry surpassed her 2011-12 season scoring total (75) in her sixth game of the season (85) and needs 10 rebounds to match her output from last season (56). Mayberry appeared in 17 games for the Waves in 2011-12.
- Shay Cooney-Williams had 18 assists last season in 29 games. This season the senior guard has 28 in eight contests.
- Ea Shoushtari eclipsed her 2011-12 point tally (22) in just two games, averaging 12.5 ppg. The sophomore guard played in 28 2011-12 games.
- Jade McNorton surpassed her 2011-12 scoring output (46) in just seven games after playing in 28 contests with 11 starts as a sophomore.
- Despite losing nearly 75 percent of its scoring from a year ago, Pepperdine is averaging 61.3 points per game and has scored 70 or more in four contests.
PEPPERDINE AND HOWARD
- Pepperdine is set to take on Howard for the first time in program history when the two teams meet Friday afternoon in Firestone Fieldhouse.
- This is just the fourth time Pepperdine has squared off against a member of the MEAC conference.
- The MEAC is rated No. 30 among Division I in women’s basketball power rankings.
- The West Coast Conference is ranked No. 7 among Division I in women’s basketball power rankings.
- The Lady Bison play the third game of a four-game road trip Friday vs. Pepperdine.
- Two current players on the Howard roster are from San Diego.
GAME 10 - VS. HOWARD: Friday (Dec. 21) at Firestone Fieldhouse, Malibu, Calif.: Howard (4-5) at Pepperdine (3-6) at 1:00 p.m. (PT)
LAST MEETINGS: First Meeting
SERIES RECORD/STREAK: First Meeting.
ON THE AIR/ON THE WEB:
Internet Video: Yes - PepperdineSports.com (WaveCasts)
GameTracker: Yes - PepperdineSports.com
Opponent Official Website: Howard-Bison.com
LAST GAME FOR HOWARD: at George Washington 61, Howard 60 (12/15/12)
WAVES VS. MEAC: Pepperdine will play just its fourth game against an MEAC opponent Friday when Howard visits Firestone Fieldhouse. The Waves are 2-1 against the current membership, with all coming in contests against Coppin State. Pepperdine dispatched the Eagles 54-36 (11/28/08) in the last meeting against a MEAC foe to open its Thanksgiving tournament.
LADY BISON BULLETS:
- Howard averages 56.5 points per game, shooting .350 from the field, .330 from 3-point range and 610 from the charity stripe.
- Howard’s 61-60 loss at George Washington snapped a four-game winning streak. The Lady Bison lost their first three games to start the 2012-13 season.
No. 7 KENTUCKY RECAP: Pepperdine battled, but bowed to No. 7 Kentucky, 80-62 Tuesday night at Firestone Fieldhouse.
- Pepperdine put together a solid first half and trailed the Wildcats 37-33 at the half.
- Kelsey Patrick had a strong effort with 12 points and a career-high eight boards.
- Ea Shoushtari grabbed a career-high 10 rebounds to go along with seven points.
- The Waves bench outscored Kentucky reserves 35-17.
- Jade McNorton recorded her first collegiate double-double with a 13-point, 11-rebound night vs. Seattle U. (12/14/12).
- Robie Mayberry turned in her first collegiate double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds against South Dakota (11/23/12). The 10 rebounds were a career-high.
- Shay Cooney-Williams (Frisco, Texas/Frisco HS) turned in the first double-double of her Pepperdine career with a 14-point, 10-rebound effort at USC (11/18/12).
- The 10 boards were a career-high.
FOLLOW AND LIKE WAVES WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Be sure and join Pepperdine’s growing communities on Facebook and Twitter. Follow and like the Waves today. Facebook: Pepperdine Women’s Basketball Twitter: @PEPPWBKB
ABOUT PEPPERDINE UNIVERSITY: Pepperdine boasts a one-of-a-kind athletic department with unprecedented success for a school of its size. The Waves have won NCAA Division I championships in five different men’s sports -- one of just 16 schools to have accomplished this feat -- and nine overall. Of this elite group, Pepperdine has the smallest enrollment and is the only school not associated with a BCS conference. Located in scenic Malibu, Calif., the university overlooks the Pacific Ocean and its campus and athletic facilities are regularly voted among the nation’s most beautiful. Pepperdine, which is affiliated with the Church of Christ, ranks No. 54 overall on U.S. News and World Report’s list of America’s best colleges.