Women's Golf Underway at Ron Moore Intercollegiate
Patricia Wong and Katherine Zhu are in the top 10.
HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colorado – The Pepperdine women’s golf team got the Ron Moore Intercollegiate underway on Friday and Patricia Wong and Katherine Zhu posted below-par rounds that have them in the top 10.
The Waves, who won this tournament last year, have started off in a tie for eighth place after opening with a 5-over 293 at the par-72 Highlands Ranch Golf Club. They’re currently 10 shots off the lead with two rounds to play.
- Junior Patricia Wong (Walnut, Calif./Walnut HS) had the Waves’ best day, a flawless 4-under 68 that was the best round of her college career. She’s in third place overall, two strokes back, but unfortunately her score didn’t help Pepperdine because she’s playing as an individual. Wong had two birdies on her front nine and two on her back nine with zero bogeys.
- Senior Katherine Zhu (Vancouver, B.C.) was the best of the players in the lineup as she recorded a 2-under 70 that put her into a tie for seventh place. She was 1-over after nine holes but then posted three birdies in the next four holes before finishing with five pars.
- Senior Tatiana Wijaya (Jakarta, Indonesia) and junior Hannah Haythorne (Honolulu, Hawai’i/IMG Academy) are both tied for 38th place with 2-over 74s. Wijaya had three birdies and Haythorne had two.
- Junior Hira Naveed (Perth, Australia) and sophomore Momoka Kobori (Rangiora, New Zealand) are both tied for 46th place after 75s.
- Freshman Kayle Hunn (San Juan Capistrano, Calif./Saddleback Valley Christian School), making her college debut and playing as an individual, is tied for 68th after a 79.
The Waves will tee off in the second round at 9 a.m. MT on Saturday. The third and final round is Sunday.
Team Standings: T1. New Mexico 283; T1. Denver 283; T3. Oregon State 286; T3. UTSA 286; T5. Washington State 289; 7. South Dakota State 291; T8. Pepperdine 293; T8. Cal Poly 293; T8. Wyoming 293; T11. Northern Arizona 301; T11. San Jose State 301; 13. Tulsa 303; 14. Denver “B” 309.
Individual Leaders: 1. Ingrid Gutierrez (New Mexico) 66; 2. Ellie Siama (Oregon State) 67; 3. * Patricia Wong (Pepperdine) 68; T4. Beah Cruz (Northern Colorado) 69; T4. Sophie Newlove (Denver) 69; T4. Morgan Sahm (Northern Colorado) 69.
* playing as an individual