Pepperdine Travels East to Tackle No. 11 Michigan and Toledo
Waves take on third top-25 opponent in four matches Friday in Ann Arbor.
Sep 5, 2013
THIS WEEK: Fresh off a 3-1 road upset at No. 19 Texas A&M, Pepperdine continues its four-match road trip with a Midwest swing starting Friday, September 6 at No. 11 Michigan. Kick off against the Wolverines is set for 2:00 p.m. (PT) at U-M Soccer Stadium. The Waves then travel to Toledo, Ohio for a Sunday matinee against the Rockets. Kick off against Toledo is set for 9:00 a.m. (PT).
WAVES BACK IN THE POLLS
- Pepperdine entered two major top-25 polls for the first time in 2013 on Sept. 3
- The Waves cracked both the NSCAA (No. 22) & Soccer America (No. 23) polls
- Pepperdine captured 37 votes in the 2013 NSCAA Preseason Poll
- The Waves spent the entire 2012 campaign in the top-25 in at least one of the major polls
A LOOK AT THE 2013 WAVES
- Pepperdine plays its third top-25 opponent in four matches when it takes on No. 11 Michigan Friday
- The Waves collected their first shutout in a 1-0 win vs. Wright State
- Pepperdine has started at least four true freshmen in each match
- Fr. F Kristen Rodriguez has scored two goals with an assist (including one in her collegiate debut vs. No. 18 Cal - also her birthday)
- Fr. GK Hannah Seabert collected a career-high 10 saves vs. No. 19 Texas A&M
WILLIAMS NAMED DISNEY SOCCER/NSCAA PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Junior forward Lynn Williams led Pepperdine to a 2-0-1 record to start 2013
- Williams scored back-to-back game-winners against Wright State and at No. 19 Texas A&M
- Williams turned in her third career multi-goal game vs. the Aggies
- Williams becomes just the second Wave to earn national player of the week accolades and the first awarded by the NSCAA
- Goalkeeper Lacey Heck earned Top Drawer Soccer National Player of the Week selection Sept. 15, 2008
WILLIAMS NAMED TO 2013 MAC HERMANN AWARD WATCH LIST
- Junior forward Lynn Williams earned a spot on the 2013 MAC Hermann Award Watch Preseason List
- Williams is the second Pepperdine student-athlete in as many seasons to crack the list for the award presented to the top collegiate soccer player
- All-American Michelle Pao made the list in 2012.
WAVES BROADCAST IN CYBERSPACE
- All home matches during the 2013 regular season will include free live streaming video via WaveCasts and live stats via GameTracker on PepperdineSports.com.
- The Waves will be featured in the West Coast Conference Match of the Week twice: Friday, Oct. 11 vs. Gonzaga and Friday, Nov. 1 at San Francisco streamed live on the WCC Digital platform.
- Follow @PeppSoccer, the official Twitter account for Waves Soccer, for live in-game updates.
PEPPERDINE ON THE PAC-12 NETWORK
- Pepperdine's match at USC Friday, Sept. 13 will be televised live on the Pac-12 Network.
- The match against USC will be the first time the Waves have appeared on the network.
- Pepperdine will play one of the toughest schedules in the country this season.
- The Waves square off against seven opponents ranked in the NSCAA preseason top-25, including two (No. 5 UCLA and No. 6 BYU) in the top-10.
- All told the Waves play no fewer than eight matches against teams that advanced to the 2012 NCAA postseason, including five teams that reached the Sweet-16 and two quarterfinalists.
TON OF OFFENSE RETURNS
- Pepperdine welcomes back the bulk of its offense from a year ago
- Returners accounted for 24 of the squad's 37 goals in 2012, 17 of 31 assists and 65 of 105 total points
- Pepperdine returns four of its five scoring threats from last season including Amanda LeCave (10 goals/0 assists/20 points), Lynn Williams (8/3/19) and Michelle Pao (2/9/13).
YOUTH IS SERVED
- Pepperdine's 2013 roster features 12 freshmen and 13 newcomers overall.
- The Waves only have two sophomores
- There are 11 upperclassmen with five seniors.
UP NEXT FOR THE WAVES
- After taking on No. 11 Michigan and Toledo, Pepperdine concludes its four-match road trip at USC Friday, Sept. 13.
- The Waves at Trojans match will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network.
LAST TIME OUT
- Pepperdine collected a 3-1 upset win at No. 19 Texas A&M behind a two-goal performance by Jr. F Lynn Williams on a five-point day.
- Williams scored twice in less than two minutes.
- Fr. F Kristen Rodriguez scored second goal of the season with an assist.
- Fr. GK Hannah Seabert collected a career-high 10 saves on a busy day in the Pepperdine pipes.
- The Waves started four true freshmen and a redshirt freshman vs. the Aggies.
- All told, eight freshmen saw action Sunday in College Station
2012 YEAR IN REVIEW
- Pepperdine advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive season and hosted the opening round match for the second straight year.
- The Waves were ranked in the top-25 in at least one of the major polls for the entire 2012 season, finishing the year ranked No. 24 in the final NSCAA poll.
- A program record three Waves captured All-WCC First Team honors - Anisa Guajardo, Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams.
- Four Waves earned All-West Region accolades - Roxanne Barker, Anisa Guajardo, Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams.
- Owns four career goals, (two game-winners) with 15 assists for 23 points.
- Enters senior year one assist shy of cracking Pepperdine career top-10 chart.
- Nine assists in 2012 tied for fourth place on the single-season list and the most by a Wave since 2006.
- A 2011 NSCAA All-America
- A three-time NSCAA All-West Region and All-WCC selection.
- In two seasons owns 14 goals, five game-winners, 11 assists, 39 points and a remarkable 177 shots (4.3 spg).
- Led the West Coast Conference in overall shots as a freshman (80) and sophomore (97).
- Shares program's single-season shots record with Pepperdine Hall-of-Famer Jennifer Evans, who recorded 97 in 1993.
- Owns two multi-goal games, including a hat trick vs. Saint Mary's (11/1/12).
- A two-time NSCAA All-West Region and All-WCC selection.
NEWCOMERS IN GOAL
- Pepperdine will have a brand new look between the pipes this season and will likely start a true freshman.
- 2012 NSCAA All-West Region pick (and 2012 Olympian) Roxanne Barker departed as the program's all-time wins leader (47).