Waves Play at No. 23 USC; Host San Diego State
Pepperdine closes four-match road trip Friday in Los Angeles.
Sept. 10, 2013
THIS WEEK: Pepperdine looks to bounce back from a tough Midwest road trip, but must do so against a pair of challenging opponents. The Waves wrap up their four-game road trip Friday afternoon against crosstown rival No. 23 USC in a match broadcast by the Pac-12 Network. The Women of Troy are the fourth top-25 opponent for Pepperdine in six 2013 matches. The Waves return home to welcome 2012 NCAA Third Round participant San Diego State Sunday.
WAVES IN THE POLLS
- After going 0-2-0 on its Midwest road trip, the Waves fell out of the top-25.
- Pepperdine was in the receiving votes category in this week’s NSCAA poll.
- The Waves were NSCAA (No. 22) & Soccer America (No. 23) polls last week.
- The Waves spent the entire 2012 season in the top-25 of at least one major poll.
A LOOK AT THE 2013 WAVES
- Pepperdine plays its fourth top-25 opponent in six matches at No. 23 USC
- Last season Pepperdine scored just one goal in a losing effort. The Waves scored twice in a 3-2 loss at Toledo (9/8).
- The Waves collected their first shutout in a 1-0 win vs. Wright State (8/29).
- Pepperdine has started at least four true freshmen and two redshirt freshmen in each match this season.
- Fr. F Kristen Rodriguez has scored two goals with an assist (including one in her collegiate debut vs. No. 18 Cal - also her birthday).
- Fr. GK Hannah Seabert made 10 saves at No. 19 Texas A&M (9/1).
WILLIAMS ON A TEAR FOR PEPPERDINE
- Junior forward Lynn Williams led Pepperdine to a 2-0-1 record to start 2013.
- Williams scored back-to-back game-winners vs. Wright State and at No. 19 Texas A&M en route to Disney Soccer/NSCAA National Player of the Week honors.
- Williams turned in her third career multi-goal game vs. the Aggies (9/1).
- Williams added her second brace of the season at Toledo (9/8).
- The Fresno native ranks No. 15 in NCAA Division I goals per game (1.0).
- Williams needs just two goals and five points to crack the Pepperdine career top-10 lists and enters the weekend with 19 goals, 12 assists and 50 points.
WILLIAMS NAMED TO 2013 MAC HERMANN AWARD WATCH LIST
- Junior forward Lynn Williams earned a spot on the 2013 MAC Hermann Award Watch Preseason List presented to the nation’s top collegiate soccer player
- All-American Michelle Pao made the list in 2012.
WAVES BROADCAST IN CYBERSPACE
- All home matches during the 2013 regular season will include free live streaming video via WaveCasts and live stats via GameTracker on PepperdineSports.com.
- The Waves will be featured in the West Coast Conference Match of the Week twice: Friday, Oct. 11 vs. Gonzaga and Friday, Nov. 1 at San Francisco streamed live on the WCC Digital platform.
- Follow @PeppSoccer, the official Twitter account for Waves Soccer, for live in-game updates.
PEPPERDINE ON THE PAC-12 NETWORK
- Pepperdine’s match at USC Friday, Sept. 13 will be televised live on the Pac-12 Network.
- Rich Burk (PBP) and Krista Blunk (analyst) will have the call from McAlister Field.
- First meeting between the Waves and Women of Troy since Pepperdine took a 1-0 win in the 2003 NCAA Tournament (UCLA).
- Waves also downed USC 1-0 in 2001 NCAAs.
- First regular season meeting since 1998.
- San Diego State took a 1-0 victory last August 31 en route to a 19-1-1 regular season record.
- Waves are 2-1-0 vs. Aztecs in Malibu.
- Pepperdine will play one of the toughest schedules in the country this season.
- The Waves square off against seven opponents ranked in the NSCAA preseason top-25, including two (No. 5 UCLA and No. 6 BYU) in the top-10.
- All told the Waves play no fewer than eight matches against teams that advanced to the 2012 NCAA postseason, including five teams that reached the Sweet-16 and two quarterfinalists.
TON OF OFFENSE RETURNS
- Pepperdine welcomes back the bulk of its offense from a year ago.
- Returners accounted for 24 of 37 goals in 2012, 17 of 31 assists and 65 of 105 total points.
- Waves return four of their top-five 2012 scorers: Amanda LeCave (10 goals/0 assists/20 points), Lynn Williams (8/3/19) and Michelle Pao (2/9/13).
YOUTH IS SERVED
- Pepperdine’s 2013 roster features 12 freshmen and 13 newcomers overall.
- The Waves only have two sophomores.
- There are 11 upperclassmen with five seniors.
UP NEXT FOR THE WAVES
After taking on San Diego State, Pepperdine continues its homestand vs. No. 4 UCLA (Friday, 9/9/20) and Fresno State (Sunday, 9/22).
LAST TIME OUT
- Pepperdine dropped a tough 3-2 decision at Toledo on a penalty kick in the 89th minute.
- Lynn Williams scored twice in her second multi-goal match of the season; fourth career.
- Freshmen Rylee Baisden (RS) and GK Hannah Seabert posted their first collegiate assists.
2012 YEAR IN REVIEW
- Pepperdine advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive season and hosted the opening round match for the second straight year.
- The Waves were ranked in the top-25 in at least one of the major polls for the entire 2012 season, finishing the year ranked No. 24 in the final NSCAA poll.
- A program record three Waves captured All-WCC First Team honors - Anisa Guajardo, Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams.
- Four Waves earned All-West Region accolades - Roxanne Barker, Anisa Guajardo, Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams.
- Owns four career goals, (two game-winners) with 15 assists for 23 points.
- Enters senior year one assist shy of cracking Pepperdine career top-10 chart.
- Nine assists in 2012 tied for fourth place on the single-season list and the most by a Wave since 2006.
- A 2011 NSCAA All-America
- A three-time NSCAA All-West Region and All-WCC selection.
- In third seasons owns 19 goals, seven game-winners, 12 assists, 50 points and a remarkable 206 shots (4.5 spg).
- Led the West Coast Conference in overall shots as a freshman (80) and sophomore (97).
- Shares program’s single-season shots record with Pepperdine Hall-of-Famer Jennifer Evans, who recorded 97 in 1993.
- Owns four multi-goal games, including a hat trick vs. Saint Mary’s (11/1/12).
- A two-time NSCAA All-West Region and All-WCC selection.
NEWCOMERS IN GOAL
- Pepperdine will have a brand new look between the pipes this season and will likely start a true freshman.
- 2012 NSCAA All-West Region pick (and 2012 Olympian) Roxanne Barker departed as the program’s all-time wins leader (47).
TWO WAVES EARN PRESEASON NODS
- Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams were named to the 2013 Preseason All-WCC First Team.
- It is the third time Pao has captured a preseason nod, the second for Williams.
ABOUT PEPPERDINE: Pepperdine boasts a one-of-a-kind athletic department with unprecedented success for a school of its size. The Waves have won NCAA Division I championships in five different men’s sports — one of just 16 schools to have accomplished this feat — and nine overall. Of this elite group, Pepperdine has the smallest enrollment and is the only school not in a BCS-affiliated conference. Located in scenic Malibu, Calif., the university overlooks the Pacific Ocean and its campus and athletic facilities are regularly voted among the nation’s most beautiful. Pepperdine, which is affiliated with the Church of Christ, ranks #54 overall on U.S. News and World Report’s list of America’s best colleges.