Waves Close Non-Conference Play Friday vs. Cal State Fullerton
Pepperdine plays final tune-up before WCC play against the Titans.
Sept. 26, 2013
THIS WEEK: After securing a crucial home split last weekend, Pepperdine hosts Cal State Fullerton Friday, September 27 in its lone match of the week. The Titans (4-3-2) are fresh off a 2-1 double overtime win at USC. The Waves dropped a tough 2-0 loss to No. 4 UCLA before recovering for a 3-1 thumping of Fresno State behind Ally Holtz’s first career brace and Lynn Williams’ ninth goal of the year.
WAVES IN THE POLLS
- After going 1-1-0 last week, the Waves continued to receive top-25 votes.
- Pepperdine was in the receiving votes category in this week’s NSCAA poll.
- The Waves were NSCAA (No. 22) & Soccer America (No. 23) polls in week two.
- The Waves spent the entire 2012 season in the top-25 of at least one major poll.
A LOOK AT THE 2013 WAVES
- Pepperdine played its fifth top-25 opponent in eight matches vs. No. 4 UCLA
- Lynn Williams broke her own single-match shots record with 15 vs. Fresno State.
- Pepperdine recorded a season-high 33 shots (15 SOG) against the Bulldogs.
- The Waves collected back-to-back shutouts for the first time in 2013 at No. 23 USC (1-0) and vs. San Diego State (2-0).
- Pepperdine has started at least four true freshmen and two redshirt freshmen in each match this season.
- Fr. F Kristen Rodriguez has scored two goals with an assist.
- Fr. GK Hannah Seabert made 15 saves vs. SDSU (9/15), the second most in Pepperdine single-match history.
- Seabert ranks No. 46 in NCAA Division I saves percentage (.855).
WILLIAMS ON A TEAR FOR PEPPERDINE
- Junior forward Lynn Williams scored her ninth goal of the year vs. Fresno State.
- Williams scored back-to-back game-winners vs. Wright State and at No. 19 Texas A&M en route to Disney Soccer/NSCAA National Player of the Week honors.
- Williams turned in her fifth career multi-goal game vs. San Diego State (9/15).
- Williams has three braces this season - at Texas A&M, at Toledo & vs. SDSU.
- The Fresno native ranks No. 13 in NCAA Division I goals per game (1.0).
- Williams ranks sixth in career goals (23) and is ninth in points (59).
WILLIAMS NAMED TO 2013 MAC HERMANN AWARD WATCH LIST
- Junior forward Lynn Williams earned a spot on the 2013 MAC Hermann Award Watch Preseason List presented to the nation’s top collegiate soccer player
- All-American Michelle Pao made the list in 2012.
WAVES BROADCAST IN CYBERSPACE
- All home matches during the 2013 regular season will include free live streaming video via WaveCasts and live stats via GameTracker on PepperdineSports.com.
- The Waves will be featured in the West Coast Conference Match of the Week twice: Friday, Oct. 11 vs. Gonzaga and Friday, Nov. 1 at San Francisco streamed live on the WCC Digital platform.
- Follow @PeppSoccer, the official Twitter account for Waves Soccer, for live in-game updates.
- The West Coast Conference just launched its official digital network at TheW.tv.
- Pepperdine will play a road and home game on the network.
- Pepperdine is 4-10- vs. Cal State Fullerton in its last five games, including a 2-1 overtime road win in 2011.
- The Waves are 4-2-1 vs. the Titans in Malibu.
- CSU Fullerton has scored seven goals in 2013 and has allowed only six scoring strikes.
- Pepperdine will play one of the toughest schedules in the country this season.
- The Waves square off against seven opponents ranked in the NSCAA preseason top-25, including two (No. 5 UCLA and No. 6 BYU) in the top-10.
- All told the Waves play eight matches against teams that advanced to the 2012 NCAA postseason, including five teams that reached the Sweet-16 and two quarterfinalists.
- Pepperdine rates No. 48 in RPI (as of 9/24).
TON OF OFFENSE RETURNS
- Pepperdine welcomes back the bulk of its offense from a year ago.
- Returners accounted for 24 of 37 goals in 2012, 17 of 31 assists and 65 of 105 total points.
- Waves return four of their top-five 2012 scorers: Amanda LeCave (10 goals/0 assists/20 points), Lynn Williams (8/3/19) and Michelle Pao (2/9/13).
YOUTH IS SERVED
- Pepperdine’s 2013 roster features 12 freshmen and 13 newcomers overall.
- The Waves only have two sophomores.
- There are 11 upperclassmen with five seniors.
WAVES OFF FOR A FORTNIGHT
- After taking on Cal State Fullerton, Pepperdine will take a two-week break before concluding its six match homestand.
- The Waves open West Coast Conference play Friday, October 11 vs. Gonzaga in the WCC Game of the Week broadcast on TheW.tv.
LAST TIME OUT
- Pepperdine dominated Fresno State in a 3-1 victory on Sunday.
- The Waves outshot the Bulldogs 33-6.
- Ally Holtz posted her first collegiate brace and first goals since 2011, including the game-winner.
2012 YEAR IN REVIEW
- Pepperdine advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive season and hosted the opening round match for the second straight year.
- The Waves were ranked in the top-25 in at least one of the major polls for the entire 2012 season, finishing the year ranked No. 24 in the final NSCAA poll.
- A program record three Waves captured All-WCC First Team honors - Anisa Guajardo, Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams.
- Four Waves earned All-West Region accolades - Roxanne Barker, Anisa Guajardo, Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams.
- Owns four career goals, (two game-winners) with 16 assists for 24 points.
- Ranks ninth in career assists.
- Nine assists in 2012 tied for fourth place on the single-season list and the most by a Wave since 2006.
- A 2011 NSCAA All-America
- A three-time NSCAA All-West Region and All-WCC selection.
- In third seasons owns 23 goals, nine game-winners, 13 assists, 59 points and a remarkable 237 shots (4.7 spg).
- Led the West Coast Conference in overall shots as a freshman (80) and sophomore (97).
- Shares program’s single-season shots record with Pepperdine Hall-of-Famer Jennifer Evans, who recorded 97 in 1993.
- Owns five multi-goal games, including a hat trick vs. Saint Mary’s (11/1/12).
- A two-time NSCAA All-West Region and All-WCC selection.
NEWCOMERS IN GOAL
- Pepperdine will have a brand new look between the pipes this season and will likely start a true freshman.
- 2012 NSCAA All-West Region pick (and 2012 Olympian) Roxanne Barker departed as the program’s all-time wins leader (47).
TWO WAVES EARN PRESEASON NODS
- Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams were named to the 2013 Preseason All-WCC First Team.
- It is the third time Pao has captured a preseason nod, the second for Williams.
ABOUT PEPPERDINE: Pepperdine boasts a one-of-a-kind athletic department with unprecedented success for a school of its size. The Waves have won NCAA Division I championships in five different men’s sports – one of just 16 schools to have accomplished this feat – and nine overall. Of this elite group, Pepperdine has the smallest undergraduate enrollment and is the only school not affiliated with a BCS-level conference. The Waves have earned the Division I-AAA All-Sports Trophy, an award based on postseason success that’s given to the top non-football school, three times (most recently in 2011-12). Located in scenic Malibu, Calif., the university overlooks the Pacific Ocean and its campus and athletic facilities are regularly voted among the nation’s most beautiful. Pepperdine, which is affiliated with the Church of Christ, ranks #57 overall on U.S. News and World Report’s list of America’s best colleges.