Waves Travel North, Face San Francisco and Santa Clara
Pepperdine vs. San Francisco to be featured as TheW.tv's Women's Soccer Match of the Week.
Oct. 30, 2013
THIS WEEK: Coming off a pair of home victories, the Pepperdine women’s soccer team is NorCal bound for matches against San Francisco on Friday, Nov. 1 and #9 Santa Clara on Sunday, Nov. 3. Friday’s contest against the Dons will be featured as the TheW.tv’s Women’s Soccer Match of the Week.
- Pepperdine earned wins over Pacific and Saint Mary’s in the Waves’ final regular-season matches at Tari Frahm Rokus Field. Seniors Carolyn Dapper, Katie Gallanes, Michelle Pao, Kristin DeGrandmont and Katie Rivers were honored during Senior Day on Sunday vs. the Gaels.
- Ally Holtz earned WCC Player of the Week Honors for her outstanding performance. The junior scored three goals -- including two game winners -- and was credited with one assist. The offensive output doubled Holtz’s season point total to 14.
- Redshirt freshman Rylee Baisden scored her first goal of the season against Pacific and found the back of the net once again versus the Gaels.
A LOOK AT THE 2013 WAVES
- Pepperdine leads the WCC in overall shots (291/18.19) and saves (99/6.19) and rates fourth in corner kicks (81/5.06)
- The Waves have fired 30-plus shots in consecutive matches vs. Fresno State (33/15 SOG) and Cal State Fullerton (34/17 SOG).
- In September-October’s six-match homestand, Pepperdine out-shot opponents 133 (22.2) to 66 (11.0), including a season-high 34 shots vs. Cal State Fullerton.
- Pepperdine still boasts a 4-2 record when out-shot by opponents, including the 2-1 win over San Diego when the Toreros held a 20-10 edge in shots.
- The Waves took back-to-back shutouts at No. 23 USC (1-0) and vs. SDSU (2-0).
- Pepperdine has started at least four true freshmen and two redshirt freshmen in each match this season.
- Fr. GK Hannah Seabert made 15 saves vs. SDSU (9/15), the second most in Pepperdine single-match history.
- Seabert ranks T-No. 21 in NCAA Division I for total saves (99) and No. 26 in saves per game (6.19).
- The Waves were NSCAA (No. 22) & Soccer America (No. 23) polls in week two.
WILLIAMS NAMED TO 2013 MAC HERMANN AWARD WATCH LIST
- Junior forward Lynn Williams earned a spot on the 2013 MAC Hermann Award Watch Preseason List presented to the nation’s top collegiate soccer player
- All-American Michelle Pao made the list in 2012.
WAVES BROADCAST IN CYBERSPACE
- All home matches during the 2013 regular season will include free live streaming video via WaveCasts and live stats via GameTracker on PepperdineSports.com.
- The Waves will be featured in the West Coast Conference Match of the Week twice: Friday, Oct. 11 vs. Gonzaga and Friday, Nov. 1 at San Francisco streamed live on the WCC Digital platform.
- Follow @PeppSoccer, the official Twitter account for Waves Soccer, for live in-game updates.
- The West Coast Conference just launched its official digital network at TheW.tv.
SCOUTING SAN FRANCISCO
- The Waves are 11-8-1 all time vs. USF, but carry a 4-6-0 record when playing in San Francisco.
- The Dons are 4-4-0 at home but in search of their first WCC win of the season.
SANTA CLARA NOTES
- The Broncos are ranked #8, top the league standings with a 5-0-0 record and are 11-3-1 overall.
- Santa Clara is on a seven-match win streak.
- Although the series is relatively even at 7-12-0, the Broncos have been unstoppable vs. the Waves in Santa Clara with nine wins in nine outings.
- Pepperdine will play one of the toughest schedules in the country this season.
- The Waves square off against seven opponents ranked in the NSCAA preseason top-25, including two (No. 5 UCLA and No. 6 BYU) in the top-10.
- All told the Waves play eight matches against teams that advanced to the 2012 NCAA postseason, including five teams that reached the Sweet-16 and two quarterfinalists.
- Pepperdine rates No. 36 in RPI (as of 10/30).
TON OF OFFENSE RETURNS
- Pepperdine welcomes back the bulk of its offense from a year ago.
- Returners accounted for 24 of 37 goals in 2012, 17 of 31 assists and 65 of 105 total points.
YOUTH IS SERVED
- Pepperdine’s 2013 roster features 12 freshmen and 13 newcomers overall.
- The Waves only have two sophomores.
- There are 11 upperclassmen with five seniors.
WAVES WCC WEEK FIVE AHEAD
- Pepperdine concludes the regular season vs. Loyola Marymount in Westwood on Nov. 9.
LOOKING FURTHER BACK
- Pepperdine fought with No. 25 BYU to a 0-0 stalemate late into the second half, but the Cougars scored in the 84th minute for the win.
- Goals by Lynn Willians and Michelle Pao lifted Pepperdine to an intense 2-1 triumph over USD on the road.