Waves Travel North, Face San Francisco and Santa Clara
Pepperdine vs. San Francisco to be featured as TheW.tv's Women's Soccer Match of the Week.
Oct. 30, 2013
THIS WEEK: Coming off a pair of home victories, the Pepperdine women’s soccer team is NorCal bound for matches against San Francisco on Friday, Nov. 1 and #9 Santa Clara on Sunday, Nov. 3. Friday’s contest against the Dons will be featured as the TheW.tv’s Women’s Soccer Match of the Week.
- Pepperdine earned wins over Pacific and Saint Mary’s in the Waves’ final regular-season matches at Tari Frahm Rokus Field. Seniors Carolyn Dapper, Katie Gallanes, Michelle Pao, Kristin DeGrandmont and Katie Rivers were honored during Senior Day on Sunday vs. the Gaels.
- Ally Holtz earned WCC Player of the Week Honors for her outstanding performance. The junior scored three goals -- including two game winners -- and was credited with one assist. The offensive output doubled Holtz’s season point total to 14.
- Redshirt freshman Rylee Baisden scored her first goal of the season against Pacific and found the back of the net once again versus the Gaels.
A LOOK AT THE 2013 WAVES
- Pepperdine leads the WCC in overall shots (291/18.19) and saves (99/6.19) and rates fourth in corner kicks (81/5.06)
- The Waves have fired 30-plus shots in consecutive matches vs. Fresno State (33/15 SOG) and Cal State Fullerton (34/17 SOG).
- In September-October’s six-match homestand, Pepperdine out-shot opponents 133 (22.2) to 66 (11.0), including a season-high 34 shots vs. Cal State Fullerton.
- Pepperdine still boasts a 4-2 record when out-shot by opponents, including the 2-1 win over San Diego when the Toreros held a 20-10 edge in shots.
- The Waves took back-to-back shutouts at No. 23 USC (1-0) and vs. SDSU (2-0).
- Pepperdine has started at least four true freshmen and two redshirt freshmen in each match this season.
- Fr. GK Hannah Seabert made 15 saves vs. SDSU (9/15), the second most in Pepperdine single-match history.
- Seabert ranks T-No. 21 in NCAA Division I for total saves (99) and No. 26 in saves per game (6.19).
- The Waves were NSCAA (No. 22) & Soccer America (No. 23) polls in week two.
WILLIAMS NAMED TO 2013 MAC HERMANN AWARD WATCH LIST
- Junior forward Lynn Williams earned a spot on the 2013 MAC Hermann Award Watch Preseason List presented to the nation’s top collegiate soccer player
- All-American Michelle Pao made the list in 2012.
WAVES BROADCAST IN CYBERSPACE
- All home matches during the 2013 regular season will include free live streaming video via WaveCasts and live stats via GameTracker on PepperdineSports.com.
- The Waves will be featured in the West Coast Conference Match of the Week twice: Friday, Oct. 11 vs. Gonzaga and Friday, Nov. 1 at San Francisco streamed live on the WCC Digital platform.
- Follow @PeppSoccer, the official Twitter account for Waves Soccer, for live in-game updates.
- The West Coast Conference just launched its official digital network at TheW.tv.
SCOUTING SAN FRANCISCO
- The Waves are 11-8-1 all time vs. USF, but carry a 4-6-0 record when playing in San Francisco.
- The Dons are 4-4-0 at home but in search of their first WCC win of the season.
SANTA CLARA NOTES
- The Broncos are ranked #8, top the league standings with a 5-0-0 record and are 11-3-1 overall.
- Santa Clara is on a seven-match win streak.
- Although the series is relatively even at 7-12-0, the Broncos have been unstoppable vs. the Waves in Santa Clara with nine wins in nine outings.
- Pepperdine will play one of the toughest schedules in the country this season.
- The Waves square off against seven opponents ranked in the NSCAA preseason top-25, including two (No. 5 UCLA and No. 6 BYU) in the top-10.
- All told the Waves play eight matches against teams that advanced to the 2012 NCAA postseason, including five teams that reached the Sweet-16 and two quarterfinalists.
- Pepperdine rates No. 36 in RPI (as of 10/30).
TON OF OFFENSE RETURNS
- Pepperdine welcomes back the bulk of its offense from a year ago.
- Returners accounted for 24 of 37 goals in 2012, 17 of 31 assists and 65 of 105 total points.
YOUTH IS SERVED
- Pepperdine’s 2013 roster features 12 freshmen and 13 newcomers overall.
- The Waves only have two sophomores.
- There are 11 upperclassmen with five seniors.
WAVES WCC WEEK FIVE AHEAD
- Pepperdine concludes the regular season vs. Loyola Marymount in Westwood on Nov. 9.
LOOKING FURTHER BACK
- Pepperdine fought with No. 25 BYU to a 0-0 stalemate late into the second half, but the Cougars scored in the 84th minute for the win.
- Goals by Lynn Willians and Michelle Pao lifted Pepperdine to an intense 2-1 triumph over USD on the road.
2012 YEAR IN REVIEW
- Pepperdine advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive season and hosted the opening round match for the second straight year.
- The Waves were ranked in the top-25 in at least one of the major polls for the entire 2012 season, finishing the year ranked No. 24 in the final NSCAA poll.
- A program record three Waves captured All-WCC First Team honors - Anisa Guajardo, Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams.
- Four Waves earned All-West Region accolades - Roxanne Barker, Anisa Guajardo, Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams.
- Owns five career goals, (three game-winners) with 17 assists for 27 points.
- Ranks eighth in career assists.
- Nine assists in 2012 tied for fourth place on the single-season list and the most by a Wave since 2006.
- A 2011 NSCAA All-America
- A three-time NSCAA All-West Region and All-WCC selection.
- In third season owns 25 goals, 10 game-winners, 14 assists, 64 points and a remarkable 266 shots (4.9 spg).
- Led the West Coast Conference in overall shots as a freshman (80) and sophomore (97).
- Shares program’s single-season shots record with Pepperdine Hall-of-Famer Jennifer Evans, who recorded 97 in 1993.
- Owns five multi-goal games, including a hat trick vs. Saint Mary’s (11/1/12).
- A two-time NSCAA All-West Region and All-WCC selection.
NEWCOMERS IN GOAL
- Pepperdine will have a brand new look between the pipes this season and will likely start a true freshman.
- 2012 NSCAA All-West Region pick (and 2012 Olympian) Roxanne Barker departed as the program’s all-time wins leader (47).
TWO WAVES EARN PRESEASON NODS
- Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams were named to the 2013 Preseason All-WCC First Team.
- It is the third time Pao has captured a preseason nod, the second for Williams.
ABOUT PEPPERDINE: Pepperdine boasts a one-of-a-kind athletic department with unprecedented success for a school of its size. The Waves have won NCAA Division I championships in five different men’s sports – one of just 16 schools to have accomplished this feat – and nine overall. Of this elite group, Pepperdine has the smallest undergraduate enrollment and is the only school not affiliated with a BCS-level conference. The Waves have earned the Division I-AAA All-Sports Trophy, an award based on postseason success that’s given to the top non-football school, three times (most recently in 2011-12). Located in scenic Malibu, Calif., the university overlooks the Pacific Ocean and its campus and athletic facilities are regularly voted among the nation’s most beautiful. Pepperdine, which is affiliated with the Church of Christ, ranks #57 overall on U.S. News and World Report’s list of America’s best colleges.