Pepperdine Tops San Diego State, 6-1
The Waves make their home debut with a victory.
Feb. 8, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. – The #44-ranked Pepperdine women’s tennis team made its 2014 home debut with a 6-1 triumph over #48 San Diego State. Michaela Capannolo and Yuki Chiang led the Waves today, winning together in doubles before both rattling off straight-set decisions in singles.
“I’ve got one of the best group of girls I’ve had in a long time,” said head coach Gualberto Escudero. “I’m always happy to go out on the court for practice, and I’m happy to watch them compete.
“They’ve proven they can come back in any situation. I’m excited for the season,” the 37-year head coach concluded.
Pepperdine (2-1) jumped out to the early advantage in doubles play vs. the Aztecs (3-3). Capannolo (Melbourne, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) and Chiang (Ojai, Calif./Campbell Hall HS) defeated Hailey Johnson and Dora Somoracz by a 6-2 tally.
The match on court one was abandoned after the point had been decided.
In singles, Capannolo blanked Davis in the first set 6-0 before securing the match 6-1 in the second frame.
Chiang also won in straight sets, topping Somoracz 6-3, 6-1.
Cutura, playing at No. 2, edged Kristin Buth 6-4 in set one before controlling the second set to the tune of 6-2.
Apichaya Runglerdkriangkrai (Bangkok, Thailand/IMG Academy) made her debut in the singles line up and won 6-2, 6-4 against Hoorn.
Granillo, the Waves’ lone senior, fell back a set on Tami Nguyen before making a tremendous comeback to walk away with the win, 4-6, 6-4, 10-8.
San Diego State avoided the sweep courtesy of Laura Antonaña Iriarte. Iriarte and Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) battled back and forth all afternoon but in the end, the Aztec narrowly escaped with the 6-4, 7-5 victory.
The Waves host two matches next week, beginning with a Valentine’s Day dual vs. UNLV on Friday, 14, 2014 at 1:30 p.m. On Saturday, Pepperdine entertains Arizona State. First serve is scheduled for noon.
San Diego State vs Pepperdine
Feb 08, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#44 Pepperdine 6, #48 San Diego State 1
1. Laura Antonana (SDSU) def. #19 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) 6-4, 7-5
2. #79 Matea Cutura (PEP) def. Kristin Buth (SDSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. #93 Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
4. #112 Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Kennedy Davis (SDSU) 6-0, 6-1
5. #117 Yuki Chiang (PEP) def. Dora Somoracz (SDSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Lorraine Guillermo/Christine Maddox (PEP) vs. Laura Antonana/Kristin Buth (SDSU) 4-3, unfinished
2. #40 Yuki Chiang/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Hailey Johnson/Dora Somoracz (SDSU) 6-2
3. Ale Granillo/Matea Cutura (PEP) def. Kennedy Davis/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) 6-1
Pattaraporn Salirathavibhaga def. Olivia Larsson, 8-2
San Diego State 3-3; National ranking #48
Pepperdine 2-1; National ranking #44