#27 Pepperdine Falls to #2 Stanford, 5-2
Waves earn two singles wins against #2 Stanford, but are unable to capture the team victory in Palo Alto.
Feb. 11, 2012
PALO ALTO, Calif. – A strong comeback effort in singles fell short as the #27 Pepperdine women’s tennis team suffered a 5-2 loss to #2 Stanford at the Taube Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. Ali Walters and Megan Moore both earned straight-set wins in singles to lead the Waves.
The Cardinal swept all three doubles matches to tally the first point. Despite the loss, the Waves’ top doubles tandem of Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) and Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/World Study Centre) went toe-to-toe with Mallory Burdette and Nicole Gibbs, who sit atop the ITA Collegiate rankings as the #1 doubles pair in the NCAA.
The Waves took four games from the Stanford duo – by far the most they have allowed in the dual season thus far – before bowing out 8-4.
In singles, the Cardinal squad extended its lead to 3-0 after wins on courts one and two before Walters (Newport Beach, Calif./Creekside Christian HS/UCLA) put the Waves on the board with a 6-3, 6-2 triumph over Veronica Li.
Moore (Portland, Ore./Jesuit HS) grinded out a 6-4, 6-4 win from the six spot to bring the team score to 3-2.
Both Guillermo and Arianna Colffer (Corona, Calif./Buena Vista) were down a set, but Guillermo nearly came back in the second frame before suffering defeat in the tiebreaker. Colffer’s run fell short as well, and the junior lost 6-4, 6-2.
Pepperdine competes in one match next week, facing UC Irvine on the road on Thursday, Feb. 16. The Waves’ next home match is scheduled for Friday, Feb. 24 versus Boise State.
#2 Stanford 5, #27 Pepperdine 2
1. #5 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) def. #72 Ale Granillo (PEP) 6-3, 6-1
2. #1 Mallory Burdette (STAN) def. Khunpak Issara (PEP) 6-1, 6-3
3. Stacey Tan (STAN) def. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
4. #31 Ellen Tsay (STAN) def. Arianna Colffer (PEP) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ali Walters (PEP) def. Veronica Li (STAN) 6-3, 6-2
6. Megan Moore (PEP) def. Natalie Dillon (STAN) 6-4, 6-4
1. #1 Mallory Burdette/Nicole Gibbs (STAN) def. Khunpak Issara/Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) 8-4
2. Stacey Tan/Ellen Tsay (STAN) def. Ali Walters/Megan Moore (PEP) 8-3
3. Kristie Ahn/Veronica Li (STAN) def. Ale Granillo/Tara Panu (PEP) 8-1
Pepperdine 2-3; National ranking #27
Stanford 3-0; National ranking #2