Strong Singles Play Sends Waves Past Anteaters, 4-3
Pepperdine back on track with a 4-3 win over regional foe UC Irvine.
Feb. 16, 2012
IRVINE, Calif. - A strong effort in singles play lifted the #29 Pepperdine women's tennis team over #58 UC Irvine, 4-3, at the Anteater Tennis Stadium on Thursday afternoon. Although the Waves dropped the doubles point, the team stormed back in singles and rattled off four straight-set victories to clinch the dual.
UC Irvine (3-4) took the early lead after claiming the doubles point, but the advantage was short lived as Ali Walters (Newport Beach, Calif./Creekside Christian HS/UCLA) put Pepperdine on the board with a dominating 6-0, 6-0 triumph over Ali Facey on court five.
Walters, a senior, has now tallied a team-best four singles wins during the dual season.
The momentum continued to roll in the Waves' (3-3) favor, as freshman Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) downed Franziska Goettsching, 6-3, 6-2, followed by a 6-3, 6-3 win on court two courtesy of Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/World Study Centre).
In the top match, Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo), ranked #95 in the ITA Collegiate singles rankings, scored the dual-clinching fourth point for Pepperdine. The sophomore defeated Kristina Smith, 6-4, 6-3.
With the dual already decided, both played in a 10-point tiebreaker against their respective Anteater opponents. UC Irvine avoided the singles sweep by winning both matches.
To open the match, Issara and Guillermo earned a doubles win for Pepperdine to improve to a team-best 4-2 in dual action.
The Waves return to the home courts of the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center next weekend, when they face Boise State on Friday, Feb. 24, followed by Arizona State on Sunday, Feb. 26.
#29 Pepperdine 4, #58 UC Irvine 3
1. #95 Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Kristina Smith (UCI) 6-4, 6-3
2. Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Courtney Byron (UCI) 6-3, 6-3
3. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) 6-3, 6-2
4. Kat Facey (UCI) def. Arianna Colffer (PEP) 6-2, 5-7, 15-13
5. Ali Walters (PEP) def. Ali Facey (UCI) 6-0, 6-0
6. Marivick Mamiit (UCI) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-4, 5-7, 10-8
1. Khunpak Issara/Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Courtney Byron/Hannah Holladay (UCI) 8-4
2. Kristina Smith/Franziska Goettsching (UCI) def. Ali Walters/Megan Moore (PEP) 8-4
3. Ali Facey/Kat Facey (UCI) def. Tara Panu/Ale Granillo (PEP) 8-4
Pepperdine 3-3; National ranking #29
UC Irvine 3-4; National ranking #58
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,3,2,1,6,4)