#2 UCLA Too Much for #26 Pepperdine
Pepperdine heads to Tennessee this week to face Vanderbilt and Memphis.
Feb. 19, 2014
LOS ANGELES – Despite a tough battle in singles, the #26 Pepperdine women’s tennis team fell to a strong #2-ranked UCLA, 7-0 on Wednesday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
With the loss, the Waves fall to 4-2 on the year while UCLA, runners up at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship, improves to 9-1
The Bruins took control early in doubles and with it the 1-0 advantage heading into singles.
The momentum continued to roll in UCLA’s favor, and the home squad took a 3-0 lead following wins courtesy of Kaitlin Ray and Chanelle Van Nguyen.
Yuki Chiang (Ojai, Calif./Campbell Hall HS) went toe-to-toe with #44 Catherine Harrison in a freshmen battle on court five, but ultimately fell by single break in both sets, 7-5, 6-4.
Although the Waves lost the team battle, Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS), Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo), Michaela Capannolo (Melbourne, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) continued to give everything they had in their respective matches.
Going up against the #2-ranked singles player in the country, Guillermo rallied back from a loss in the opening frame vs. Robin Anderson to break late and hold for the 7-5 triumph in set two. The 10-point tiebreaker went in favor of Anderson, 10-7.
Anderson now holds a 2-1 record vs. #23 Guillermo in collegiate play. The Wave won last seasons’ meeting in dual action in two sets, while both of Anderson’s wins have come in three sets.
Capannolo was narrowly edged out in the tiebreaker by #27 Kyle McPhillips in the opening frame, but sent the match to a third set after winning the second 6-2. After falling behind 3-1, Capannolo rallied to take a 4-3 lead. McPhillips got back on track, however, and a late push sent her to the 6-4 win.
Granillo’s match vs. #22 Jennifer Brady went the distance, and was decided in the tiebreaker after the match was tied 6-6 in the third. Although Granillo scored on back-to-back points to even the tally at 5-5, Brady held on for the 7-5 win to secure the sweep for UCLA.
Pepperdine makes their first out-of-state road trip of the season, paying a visit to Vanderbilt on Sunday, followed by a dual at Memphis on Tuesday.
Pepperdine vs UCLA
Feb 19, 2014 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#2 UCLA 7, #26 Pepperdine 0
1. #2 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. #23 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
2. #9 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Matea Cutura (PEP) 6-2, 6-3
3. #22 Jennifer Brady (UCLA) def. Ale Granillo (PEP) 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
4. #27 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 7-6 (7-1), 2-6, 6-4
5. #44 Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Yuki Chiang (PEP) 7-5, 6-4
6. Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) 6-2, 6-3
1. #2 Robin Anderson/Jennifer Brady (UCLA) def. Lorraine Guillermo/P. Salirathavibhaga (PEP) 8-0
2. #29 Catherine Harrison/Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. Michaela Capannolo/Yuki Chiang (PEP) 8-0
3. Kaitlin Ray/Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) vs. Matea Cutura/Ale Granillo (PEP) 5-4, unfinished
Pepperdine 4-2; National ranking #26
UCLA 9-1; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,2,5,1,4,3)