#26 Waves Drop Close Decision to #12 Vanderbilt
Ale Granillo and Matea Cutura extend doubles win streak to five today in Nashville.
Feb. 23, 2014
NASHVILLE - It could not have gotten any closer between the #26 Pepperdine women's tennis team and #12 Vanderbilt, with the doubles point being decided in a tiebreaker and four singles matches going the full three sets. Unfortunately for the Waves, it would be the Commodores who emerged with the victory, 5-2.
Pepperdine falls to 4-3 on the year, with all three losses coming to teams ranked #12 or higher. Vanderbilt improves to 7-3 in 2014.
The Waves got started right in doubles, getting a win at No. 3 courtesy of Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) and Matea Cutura (Zagreb, Croatia/Gimnazija Birotehnika/DePaul). The reigning West Coast Conference Doubles Team of the Week won their fifth straight, defeating Georgina Sellyn and Frances Altick by an 8-4 tally.
The Commodores got a match back at No. 2, where Marie Casares and Ashleigh Antal edged Yuki Chiang (Ojai, Calif./Campbell Hall HS) and Michaela Capannolo (Melbourne, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) 8-5.
The doubles point came down to the outcome of the No. 1 match. After 14 games played and still no winner determined, Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) and Christine Maddox (Santa Monica, Calif./Santa Monica HS) went to the tiebreaker against Courtney Colton and Lauren Mira.
Colton and Mira won the tiebreaker 7-2 to claim the doubles point for Vanderbilt.
The Commodores took a 3-0 lead after two more singles wins, but the Waves would do everything they could to deny their opponents the dual-clinching fourth point.
All four remaining singles matches went the full three sets but ultimately Casares would hold on to win 6-2 in the third vs. Capannolo to put Vanderbilt out of reach.
Guillermo rebounded from a 5-7 loss in the first set to defeat Sellyn 5-7, 6-4, 6-4.
Cutura followed suit, dropping her first set but storming back in the second and third to take the victory.
The Waves look to rebound from the loss on Tuesday, Feb. 25, when they face #32 Memphis (6-4) at 10 a.m. (PT) The Tigers are trying to shake a two match skid that includes losses to Vanderbilt (4-0) and #34 Ole Miss (4-3). Live scores can be followed here.
Pepperdine vs Vanderbilt
Feb 23, 2014 at Nashville, Tenn.
(Currey Tennis Center)
#12 Vanderbilt 5, #26 Pepperdine 2
1. #23 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. #48 Georgina Sellyn (VU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
2. Matea Cutura (PEP) def. Frances Altick (VU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. #124 Courtney Colton (VU) def. Ale Granillo (PEP) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
4. Marie Casares (VU) def. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 6-7 (2-6), 6-1, 6-2
5. Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. Yuki Chiang (PEP) 6-3, 6-3
6. Lauren Mira (VU) def. A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) 6-0, 6-1
1. Courtney Colton/Lauren Mira (VU) def. Lorraine Guillermo/Christine Maddox (PEP) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Marie Casares/Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. #47 Yuki Chiang/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 8-5
3. Matea Cutura/Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Georgina Sellyn/Frances Altick (VU) 8-4
Pepperdine 4-3; National ranking #26
Vanderbilt 7-3; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,5,4,1,3,2)